Best US Site to Sell Used Audio Equipment?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is your preferred site for selling used gear?

• Audiogon

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Dealer site

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • eBay

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • MLO Classified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • US Audio Mart

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BDH55

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of used gear that I need to find new homes for (sorry, no ML speakers). Multiple amps, preamps, an SACD player, tuner, etc. Most is in excellent condition with boxes, manuals, etc (a few, not so much). The most obvious sites seem to be... Audiogon, eBay, US Audio Mart, and of course, our own MLO Forum. The biggest things I'm looking for would be a) audience exposure, b) transaction safety and of course c) sales charges. Also, I was given the option of selling some of my items thru a dealer site which obviously has the benefit of being better known than an individual.

I put the most obvious choices into a poll that will run for a week, but please LMK if I am missing any other good choices.

Honestly, I have the best luck with craigslist. I don't even like selling stuff anywhere else. You get the usual amount of BS and lowballs, but you can do a cash transaction face to face without worrying about getting scammed. If you are worried about privacy, you can use their email service to mask your email until you trust them enough to text. I literally meet people in the police station parking lot by my house too, for the transaction, and I have never had a problem. (Bought my Aerius on CL too!)

If your stuff is +$2000 a piece, places like The Music Room or High End Audio Auctions on ebay will take them on consignment or buy them outright. Of course it will be at a discount, but again, no risk to you. I had Music Room offer me $2000 for my Oppo 205 DVD player. Definitely lower than they were selling, but totally risk free. Ended up keeping it, but if I decide to sell I will probably call them back. Too many scammers out there to risk losing it all.

-Geoff

@SGG - I get what you're saying about Craigslist, but as a buyer I have been so put off, I don't use it anymore. Scams, holdups (especially on high-dollar items)... won't do it anymore.

Just my $0.02

Russ

@SGG - I get what you're saying about Craigslist, but as a buyer I have been so put off, I don't use it anymore. Scams, holdups (especially on high-dollar items)... won't do it anymore.

Just my $0.02

Russ
Where do you live - at a San Fransisco Walgreens? Just kidding! I am 7 blocks from Detroit and never had a problem. I agree though with high dollar stuff. For stuff in the few hundred dollar range, though, as long as you are smart there is very little risk. Don't put your phone number, and put some big intersection on the locator map.

-Geoff

I have a local high end audio store where I put mine on consignment. They take a cut of the sale price, but deal with everything. All I do is drop it off and they do the rest. They list on ebay. Local sales as well since items are on display in a room.

I agree with Craigslist to a point. Lowered gear yes but higher end stuff I'm not so sure. Over the years I've sold both with Audiogon and US Audio Mart, most recently with the latter

Got my Aerius I on Craigslist. No complaints. Trickier to sell than to buy, but that's true everywhere.

I actually hadn't thought about Craigslist so maybe this isn't fair, but I would have the same concerns as Russr about getting ripped off. Some of my stuff like my JC-1's will likely go in the $3-4K range so I'm looking for a secure transaction. Also, I was talking with my Music Direct guy and he told me that while they sell used gear on a couple different sites, they had been selling more lately on eBay than on Audiogon as they had less hassles there. That surprised me as I thought Audiogon was the 'gold standard' for used gear... :unsure:

This Post is terrific. I too am about to attempt to liquidate some higher end "vintage" gear and have been contemplating this same question. Craigslist didn't seem like a viable option for higher ticket items in the $1K+ range to me, but I may need to reconsider as it solves the shipping issues. Calculating double boxing and shipping cost is a definite buzz kill. I've had success in the past on eBay with non audio items and have purchased from Audiogon , but after reading lots of post on other sites about scams, etc. I've let myself suffer from paralysis by analysis in getting started on this task. I look forward to all the comments and poll results. Heaven knows I could use the money. This "hobby" isn't getting cheaper.

I have a local high end audio store where I put mine on consignment. They take a cut of the sale price, but deal with everything. All I do is drop it off and they do the rest. They list on ebay. Local sales as well since items are on display in a room.
From our past discussions, I'm guessing you are talking about a store in Old Montgomery? If so, the last time I spoke with them about selling used gear was when I bought my Illusion. IIRC, they quoted me 30% commission if I was buying something from them, and 40% if I just wanted to give them something to sell. Seemed a little on the steep side, but you are correct in that it certain solves much of the hassle...

Thinking about it though, I do have a few original Aragon amps (4004 mk II (2)... 8008... and 8008X3) all with NO BOXES (thx honey :mad: ). They could be a good option for them...

From our past discussions, I'm guessing you are talking about a store in Old Montgomery? If so, the last time I spoke with them about selling used gear was when I bought my Illusion. IIRC, they quoted me 30% commission if I was buying something from them, and 40% if I just wanted to give them something to sell. Seemed a little on the steep side, but you are correct in that it certain solves much of the hassle...

Thinking about it though, I do have a few original Aragon amps (4004 mk II (2)... 8008... and 8008X3) all with NO BOXES (thx honey :mad: ). They could be a good option for them...
Yeah, 30% since I was buying from them. I just like the no hassle approach. I've sold a couple of things with them that way.

The new Aragon amps cost about $14,000 now which is insane. If you sold some there I think they would sell fast and a good price. My 8008 is about 6 years old, and it was only $4200 new.

I've bought at least a dozen items on Audiogon in a wide range of prices......but not recently.
the listings on Audiogon (in quantity AND quality) have dropped by 70% in the past 8 months.
in the past doing a search for floorstanding speakers within 100 miles of NY would have resulted in 10 pages of items offered, now barely 2 pages ( 70-80 items). AND the majority of adds on Audiogon are now listed by dealers, so if you eliminate those you are down to a scant few people that list there.
same with Audioasylum traders, listings have gone WAYYYY down.
USAM is the easiest and seems to be the best.
Craigslist is a very poor choice becuase of how infected the site is with scammers.
Facebook marketplace is fast rising as a good selling alternative for mid-level audio gear (Klipsch Heresy's).

Honestly, I have the best luck with craigslist. I don't even like selling stuff anywhere else. You get the usual amount of BS and lowballs, but you can do a cash transaction face to face without worrying about getting scammed. If you are worried about privacy, you can use their email service to mask your email until you trust them enough to text. I literally meet people in the police station parking lot by my house too, for the transaction, and I have never had a problem. (Bought my Aerius on CL too!)
Same!
Love Craigslist!
Many sellers take Venmo, so you don't have to carry any cash.

Same! I found my beloved Ascent'i' on CL on October 28, 2014, and I remember it as if it were last week! Picked up the seller from in front of the police station in Bayview, SF, as he lived up the block!

The new Aragon amps cost about $14,000 now which is insane. If you sold some there I think they would sell fast and a good price. My 8008 is about 6 years old, and it was only $4200 new.
You make a good point on that, and since I don't have the boxes anymore... this is likely where they will end up! (y)

I’m surprised nobody mentioned Audiocircle. Quite an active forum with good traffic trading post.
Also Audiokarma, which I don’t like as much because they charge an annual membership fee and have tedious rules for posting items to sell.
Both these sites don’t have the flexible search options as USAM

No surprise that the majority of votes went to either Audiogon or US Audio Mart. I think what this will come down to is my 'higher value' stuff (let's say over $500-1000) will likely end up on one of those two sites, while I've got some other stuff (like a couple of NAD phono preamps) that I'll probably stick up on eBay just to get rid of. I've also got quite a collection of cables no longer in use that I'll probably just toss up on US Audio Mart and see what comes of them.

Thx for all your comments! (y)

I have used Audiogon in the past and more recently US Audio Mart.

US Audio Mart worked great in my case. I don't have a facebook account but I know Facebook Marketplace is very popular around here.

For purchasing I have great luck with The Music Room. Fast responses from inquiries and very well packed and fast shipping from a few purchases I have made there.

I've sold a bunch of gear recently and had success mostly on CL and US Audio Mart. CL has the advantage of being face-to-face and cash. USAM makes it more expensive for the buyer since there is shipping and PP fees, but you get a wider audience.

On CL, I have sold and bought stuff very successfully. I don't give out my cell number until someone is ready to buy. Once you start discussing an item with a buyer, you'll figure out pretty quickly if they are one of 'us' or a scammer. Don't forget, you can ask them questions about their system and room to help you understand their needs (and weed out the scammers).

I tend to list things on CL first and consider moving it to USAM after a couple of weeks. Also, I had a lot of success with a single ad with a complete list of gear as opposed to a bunch of individual ads. I had 2 guys who purchased 3 different pieces each.

Latest posts

Back