Best Sounding Recording on Your System

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joyce Cooling, Norman Brown, Roxy Music-Avalon -digitally remastered. All of those sound fantastic! (Prodigy's)

Well, I still live in an apt so I can't really test out the speakers yet. But, from what I've heard, most of my CDs don't have every song on them sounding that good, usually it's just a few songs or parts of a song, so I'd make a compilation CD:

1. Def Leppard - "Fom the Inside" off the "Retroactive CD".

It's a slow acoustic song with a grand piano, tin whistle and mandolin. My wife heard the acoustic guitar and said it sounded so incredibly real!! This was her own honest reaction w/o having me to ask "how does that sound?" (who'd of ever think DL had a good SQ CD?)

2. Neal Schon (the guitarist from Journey who at age 15 palyed with Santana and later with Clapton) - "Espanique" from "Beyond Thunder"

3. Rush - "Nocturne" from "Vapor Trails".

The SQ doesn't sound all that great, but when Geddy Lee sings, his voice sounds so incredibly liquidy smooth!! It's sooo spooky!

My interests has turned away from rock and towards smooth jazz, so once I start purchasing those types of CD I'll update my list. I'm very curious for any suggestions

More entries!

Saint-Saens Symphony #3 "Organ" by Louis Fremaux/Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

The Staples Singers "Hit Singles" Analogue Productions 45rpm

Ella Fitzgerald "Night in Tunisia" from <i>Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie</i>

Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley...

Sky Saw said:
From a purely sonic perspective (musical enjoyment aside), what is the best sounding recording in your collection, on your system? In other words, if everyone on this forum came to your place to hear your system, but only had time to listen to a single recording, what would that CD/LP/SACD/DVD be?
Mine would be:
Le Cid (ballet) by Massenet - City of Birminham Orchestra on Klavier label. LP, 180gm pressing. It is available at http://www.uhfmag.com/Klavier.html if you are interested in checking it out. Incredible timbre, soundstaging, air, depth, and astounding dynamics. The music is good too. Definitely a worthwhile addition.
Sky Saw,

I would chose, Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley... ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Can I have four?
Art Blakey - Moanin' Classic LP
Neil Young - Greatest Hits, LP - the side w/ Needle & the Damage Done stands out
The Who - Who's Next - Classic LP, drums knock your socks off on this one
Ry Cooder - Jazz, CD - Great recording, the vibes (literally, as in the instrument) just fill the room

Very hard ......

a quick choice of some of my favourites:

Rimsky-Korsakow: Scheherezade - Scherchen/Vienna State Opera Orch.
Jazz at the Pawnshop
D. Brubeck: Time Out
C. Mangione: Children of Sanchez
Saint Saens: Symphony No. 3, Ormandy, Murray, Philadelphia Orch.
C. Baron: Steppin'
Ali Farka Toure/Ry Cooder: Talking Timbuktu

There are a few......The best would be:

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live (CD) - 5. Keith Don't go and 6. Wonderland.

Also enjoy-

Holly Cole - Temptation (CD)

Christy Baron - Steppin' (SACD)

Alison Krauss & Union Station "Lonely runs both ways"

The recent 180g pressing of The Doors LA Woman, which is a fantastic edition. In fact, I have a CD copy, which I tend to play first, then the DVD-A (much better than the cd), then finally I play them the vinyl ......lets just say I dont think I'm boosting sales of this album on a silver disc ;)

Rickie Lee Jones first (epynonomous) album again on vinyl, Chuck E's in Love being a track many around my age remember as a "radio track", and the looks of wonder as they realise just how much "more" there was to hear is well worth it.

Regards
magoo

Sky Saw said:
From a purely sonic perspective (musical enjoyment aside), what is the best sounding recording in your collection, on your system? In other words, if everyone on this forum came to your place to hear your system, but only had time to listen to a single recording, what would that CD/LP/SACD/DVD be?
Mine would be:
Le Cid (ballet) by Massenet - City of Birminham Orchestra on Klavier label. LP, 180gm pressing. It is available at http://www.uhfmag.com/Klavier.html if you are interested in checking it out. Incredible timbre, soundstaging, air, depth, and astounding dynamics. The music is good too. Definitely a worthwhile addition.
There are so many good recordings like Norah Jones' - Come Away with me, Marian Mcpartland's Hickory .., DireStraits - Between th eLines, Fourplay - Between the sheets, Gene Ammons Story-Gentle Jug and many more

Here are a few decent ones....

Redbook:
Amanda McBroom - Live at the Rainbow and Stars
Dire Straits - On Every Street
Brandenburg Concertos 1 - 6 (Telarc)

SACD:
Yellowjackets - Altered States
Diana Krall - Love Scenes
Handel - Concerto Grossi, Op 3

50 Year Old Recordings that are just amazing for their age...they knew how to record back then without all the damn mixing they do now:
SACD: Art Pepper + 11
SACD: Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
SACD: Gil Evans Plus Ten

Each of these has their own qualities that make them a real joy to listen to not only sonically buy also musically...

Dan

Chuck Mangione - Cildren of Sanchez, the Overture. It's a great piece that challenges the full range of your speakers !

My faves would be Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner off the Downward Spiral SACD, the sound stage will blow you away, and Muse - Megalomania from Origins of Symmetry, the dynamics and coverage of the whole sound spectrum have to be heard.

Some of my favorites:

MoFi Pink Floyd Gold CDs: I have them all, they are great!

Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature

I have the ability to play DVD-A, but I've never tried one. Maybe it's about time...

For pure audio quality and excellent ‘Demo’ status, I’d give it to Porcupine Tree - Deadwing DVD-A release.

This does not reflect my personal taste for the album I ‘like’ the most, this the one that absolutely tests every aspect of the system to the greatest extent.
If you like Prog Rock (genesis, yes, etc.) you will really dig this album. The music is very creative.

The dynamic range of this album is incredible. And its use of the full surround complement is masterful.
The music transitions from soft single instrument passages, to heavily layered sections at all volume levels, so every bit of the spectrum and dynamics is covered in one album, and sometimes in one song.

Like I said, If you are looking for the recording that will stretch your system and reveal what it can and can’t do, this is a good one. I’ve had some guys who really dig the highly layered textures in prog rock and their comments are that with the ML’s they can hear each and every instrument, even at very loud volumes (thanks to the Monoliths). On box speakers, the distortion masks the great detail buried in many recordings.

Check it out at Amazon

Last edited:
Anything off of the Burmester CD3 ;)

Hey dyazdani, I see your a Rossi fan? Been to a couple of Moto GP's myself! Next year should be good with Melandri winning a couple this year!

Last edited:
Statman said:
Anything off of the Burmester CD3 ;)

Hey dyazdani, I see your a Rossi fan? Been to a couple of Moto GP's myself! Next year should be good with Melandri winning a couple this year!

Yeah, I had wanted to make Laguna Seca this year, but didn't plan enough ahead.

Made it to an AMA race at Barber, lots of fun.

dyazdani said:
Steely Dan: Two Against Nature
I have the ability to play DVD-A, but I've never tried one. Maybe it's about time...

Steely Dan's Two Against Nature is one of the best DVD-As! Go for it!
Everything Must Go is excellent too. Cheers.

A question on Chuck Mangione: Children of Sanchez

For those of you who have this, is the CD version good? I was looking at both cd and lp yesterday and the lp version was about 5x more expensive, so I hope the cd is also what you're referring to. thanks.

Back