Best guitar solo ever...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sky Saw

Reaction score
I would have to vote for Robert Fripp's stunning solo on Baby's on Fire from Brian Eno's first album Here Come the Warm Jets.

The album itself is from 1974, and while it is not fully audiophile approved (the sonics don't detract from the album, but they don't add much either), it is a fantastic recording from one of the most creative personalities in the '70s rock scene. Eno is also extremely well-known as a producer. Anyway, Fripp's mind-bending solo on Baby's on Fire is like a roller-coaster ride that you took when you were 9 years old and had to run to the line-up to take again as soon as it came to a stop.

What's your favourite?

Jimmy Paige's solo in "Stairway to Heaven" because it is so iconic and Billy Corgan's solo in "Behold! The Night Mare" because it takes vision to throw in an atonal solo into that type of song.

Billy's solo almost goes over the edge but somehow manages to stay within the context of the song. Thats a lot for such a relatively short and somewhat dissonant solo and it sticks in my mind for some reason. Others my not agree.

Last edited:
knopfler's solo on the title track from "brothers in arms". not fast, not technically difficult, but full of nuances and never fails to stop me from what i'm doing and pull me into it. it really reaches in and touches me deep deep inside.

hell, one of my all time favourite tracks from start to finish.

There are just too many great guitar riff's or solos out there to mention...

To list one for now would be George Terry and Eric Clapton on the album EC Was Here, and the song is "Have you ever loved a woman".

Not only some great guitar solos but also a great Live album - that is if you like Clapton. They put out a remaster of the album and it is improved over the original redbook release.

Dan

I know you asked for one solo, but I would vote for the entire Lotus album by santana. I have images of the japanese audience being baptized with carlos's very sick tone. Insane.

Jimmy Hendrix...

Jimmy Hendrix's instramental guitar solo, "The Star Spangled Banner", that he played at Woddstock... :D
Jimmy was an extremely innovative, 'Rock' guitarist, and not just playing his guitar, but how he adapted the strings and pick-ups, to create / fashion, the kind of sound in the music, which he wanted his lead guitar to convey.

Eddie Van Halin, comes to mind, as a great lead guitarist, and another innovator in 'Rock' music too... His guitar solo's are sublimely cutting edge ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
I'm also voting Jimi Hendrix. The Band of Gypsys concert 01 Jan 1970 at the Fillmore East when he played "Machine gun". ;)

Last edited:
Robin said:
Eddie Van Halin, comes to mind, as a great lead guitarist, and another innovator in 'Rock' music too... His guitar solo's are sublimely cutting edge ;)

Eddie is a classic figure in the rock scene. His goofy smile adds as much as his incredible ability.

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing. GREAT guitar in this track. Not sure if Mark Knopfler is the guitarist on this track, but I always loved it.

Yeah, Eddie Van Halen is the king, along with Joe Satriani. I have one of his CDs entitled "Surfing with the Alien" and it's very good.

TomDac said:
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing. GREAT guitar in this track. Not sure if Mark Knopfler is the guitarist on this track, but I always loved it.

Yeah, Eddie Van Halen is the king, along with Joe Satriani. I have one of his CDs entitled "Surfing with the Alien" and it's very good.

Tom, I thought you were a die-hard Roxie Music fan. Shouldn't you be gunning for Phil Manzanera?

Django Reinhardt can do it without out a lot of feedback and distortion. Listen the Parisian Swing album, GNP - 9002. It was recorded between '35 and '39.

So many greats; so glad we don't have to choose...

- Dickie Betts on the Allman Brothers' "Blue Sky"
- Eric Gales on the Eric Gales Band's "High Anxiety"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan, "Lenny"
- Richard Thompson, solo #2 on "Shoot Out The Lights"
- Eddie Van Halen, "Eruption"
- Eric Clapton on Cream's "Crossroads"
- Angus Young on AC/DC's "Hell's Bells"

and on and on. Hail hail, rock & roll.

Pink Floyd & The Eagles

I love these two ones:
-Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" part II: David gilmour gives one of his best solos here.
-The Eagles's "Hotel California": To me, this is more than a guitar solo: a kind of mini symphony.

Hola...I like also these great guitar players:
Joe Pass
Jim Hall
Gabor Zabo
Anthony Wilson
Steve Stills
Steve Stevens
George Benson
Kevin Ubanks
Lee Riteneour
Steve Lukater
Paco de Lucia