Best female solo ever...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Eva Cassidy, a tie between, "What a Wonderful World" and "Over the Rainbow".

Aretha Franklin, "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Loved You)".

Ella Fitzgerald, "Bewitched , Bothered, and Bewildered".

Natlie Cole, "Smile".

Billie Holiday, "You Go to My Head".

Selena, "Cumbia Medley: Como La Flor / La Caracha / Bidi Bidi...".

Janis Jopilin, "Piece of My Heart".

Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now".

Carly Simon, "That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be".

Judy Garland, "Over the Rainbow".

Well, that's some of them anyway... :D
Can you guys think of any more? :D

Cheers

-Robin

Clare Torry doing a solo on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, "The Great Gig in the Sky" .

Soprano

Carl Orff's- Carmina Burana
"In truitina"

Undoubtably the most beautiful Soprano voice I've heard.

Robert Shaw
Label: Telarc
Genre: Classical
Product No.: CTEL 60056 SA
Format: Hybrid Stereo SACD
=======

and... Puccini's: "O Mio Babbino Caro"

Last edited:
Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
Tori Amos - Winter
Natalie Merchant - Ophelia
Lisa Gerrard - Sanvean

to name a few...

A few more of the very best female solos...

In addition to all of the excellent female solos listed above I wanted to add a few more beautiful solo performances to the list:

Sarah McLachlan, "Angel".

Sade, "no ordinary love"

Laura Nyro, "Desiree"

Diana Krall, "Popcile Toes", "Frim Fram Sauce", "Gee Baby, Ain't I good to You",
" "I'm Thru With Love", "A Blossom Fell", "If I Had You"

To name a few more...

Cheers

-Robin

Hard to pick just one. . .

A short list from which I couldn't choose just one. . .

Trisha Yearwood - The Song Remembers When

Renee Fleming - O mio babino caro

Laura Fygi - Dream a little Dream

Cheers,

David
:)

Female Solo performances...

Your guys have come up with some excellent vocalists, which I will have to try, in the near future. Some of them ar actually on my christmas list now too... :D I thought, I would add a few more :D :

Sara Watkins - "Reasons Why"

Linda Ronstadt - "Hasen Down The Wind"

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio - "Dimming Of The Day"

Michelle Pfeiffer - "Makin' Whoopee" and "My Funny Valentine"

k.d. lang - "Save Me"

Cheers

-Robin

agree with many of the above, just adding a few more...

Jane Monheit - Over the Rainbow (which she recorded in one take)
Holly Cole - Blame it on My Youth
Ella Fitzgerald - Cry Me a River

Excellent choices...

jfm said:
agree with many of the above, just adding a few more...

Jane Monheit - Over the Rainbow (which she recorded in one take)
Holly Cole - Blame it on My Youth
Ella Fitzgerald - Cry Me a River
jfm,

I just love your choices... :D If you would not mind, could tell me, the particular CD, the singers, sang the above songs? As I am looking to purchase...

Thank you

Cheers

-Robin

Robin,
Jane Monheit recorded "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on two albums I am aware of. There is here live album at the Rainbow Room In New York (?) and an album which I have a prefer "Takin A Chance On Love". I have heard them both and I like the production better on the recorded album. I have seen her live and she is just as good as she sounds on the album.

There is another female singer that is one of my favorites and you have to look to find her albums. Her name is Kevyn Lettau. I have also seen her live and have 5 or 6 of her albums and again very amazing. She has one of those voices, like Jane Monhiet, that is pure, sweet and very smooth. Kevyn Lettau has been around for a long time, over 10 years with an interesting background. She is also the Department chairperson for the L.A.Music Academy. You can get some insight from her website at www.kevynlettau.com.

Jeff :cool:

Jane Monheit and Kevyn Lettau...

Jeff Zaret said:
Robin,
Jane Monheit recorded "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on two albums I am aware of. There is here live album at the Rainbow Room In New York (?) and an album which I have a prefer "Takin A Chance On Love". I have heard them both and I like the production better on the recorded album. I have seen her live and she is just as good as she sounds on the album.

There is another female singer that is one of my favorites and you have to look to find her albums. Her name is Kevyn Lettau. I have also seen her live and have 5 or 6 of her albums and again very amazing. She has one of those voices, like Jane Monhiet, that is pure, sweet and very smooth. Kevyn Lettau has been around for a long time, over 10 years with an interesting background. She is also the Department chairperson for the L.A.Music Academy. You can get some insight from her website at www.kevynlettau.com.

Jeff :cool:
Jeff,

Thank you... I will check out these fine singers. I appericate your recommendation. :D

Thanks again,

Cheers

-Robin

Robin - likewise! Jeff - thanks for answering. To add:

Jane Monheit - Over the Rainbow first came out in the Come Dream with Me cd; there's an even better verrsion of the same album in DVD-A. The Rainbow Room dvd version is great of course, as it does show the lovely Jane (Jeff and I are big fans, as you may have noticed from other threads). If you like that, you'll like every album, including guest turns. For example, she has ravishing versions of Misty and As Time Goes By from Mark O'Connors's cd/sacd, In Full Swing.

Holly Cole can sing with power. The album that contains Blame it on My Youth is called "Don't Smoke in Bed" and, indeed, most of the cuts are awesome in the way they showcase Holly's singing. the cut, "I Can See Clearly Now" might be considered by some to more of a demo cut than "Blame it.." The cd was a mainstay of the best sounding cds of HP (of The Absolute Sound).

Ella's albums are just like the sky, too many stars to choose from. That said, her album "Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie" is considered a super-disc both in terms of sonics and performance. Her "Cry Me a River" from this album is widely held to be the best version. Many other great cuts from the same disc. I only have the cd. The original LP, if you can find a mint copy, is spectacular and worth the big bucks.

Kevyn Lettau- yeah, I like her too and heard her live, years ago when she still looked a supermodel. Lots of discs to choose from, the one I'm familiar with is Another Season.

ok, that got me exploring my discs...will be back with more...

Jane Monheit, Holly Cole and Ella...

jfm said:
Robin - likewise! Jeff - thanks for answering. To add:

Jane Monheit - Over the Rainbow first came out in the Come Dream with Me cd; there's an even better verrsion of the same album in DVD-A. The Rainbow Room dvd version is great of course, as it does show the lovely Jane (Jeff and I are big fans, as you may have noticed from other threads). If you like that, you'll like every album, including guest turns. For example, she has ravishing versions of Misty and As Time Goes By from Mark O'Connors's cd/sacd, In Full Swing.

Holly Cole can sing with power. The album that contains Blame it on My Youth is called "Don't Smoke in Bed" and, indeed, most of the cuts are awesome in the way they showcase Holly's singing. the cut, "I Can See Clearly Now" might be considered by some to more of a demo cut than "Blame it.." The cd was a mainstay of the best sounding cds of HP (of The Absolute Sound).

Ella's albums are just like the sky, too many stars to choose from. That said, her album "Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie" is considered a super-disc both in terms of sonics and performance. Her "Cry Me a River" from this album is widely held to be the best version. Many other great cuts from the same disc. I only have the cd. The original LP, if you can find a mint copy, is spectacular and worth the big bucks.

Kevyn Lettau- yeah, I like her too and heard her live, years ago when she still looked a supermodel. Lots of discs to choose from, the one I'm familiar with is Another Season.

ok, that got me exploring my discs...will be back with more...
jfm,

Thank you for all the great information. I will be checking these out for purchase. :D

Thanks again :D

Cheers

-Robin

I've focused this next contribution on "emotional" songs. Now. mind you, most people who know me will consider me one of the least emotional individuals they've met. However, against females singing through electrostats, I have no defense. :)

Here's a list of 10 such songs.

Karrin Allyson – What’s New. This comes from the disc, Ballads, which is a homage to the album of the same title by John Coltrane. Karyn holds you in her spell with her soulful, raspy vocals. What I especially like about her singing is that she pays attention to the meaning of the lyrics. When you hear her sing the line “I haven't changed, I still love you so” it feels like she has stuck a stiletto in your heart. And while you sit there bleeding, the sax and rhythm section enter to offer their condolences.

Cheryl Bentyne – The Very Thought of You. This is from “Among Friends,” a DVD-Audio recording by AIX, which means it’s state-of-the-art for that medium. (The reverse side has a really good dvd-v presentation, too.) Cheryl, one of the two female singers of The Manhattan Transfer, treats this song with her typical restraint, which nonetheless is enough to grip you. Halfway through the piece you are treated to a moving guitar solo by Grant Geissman.

Diana Krall – Why Should I Care? From the cd/sacd, When I Look in Your Eyes.This was the song that introduced me to DK, and it happened serendipitously. When I watch a film at home through MLs, I normally sit through all the credits, just to listen to the music. DK sings this at the end of Clint Eastwood’s True Crime, and good ol’ Clint is one of the songwriers. Sometimes DK may be faulted for merely talking through some of her songs and not stretching herself and really reaching deep down. But not on this one.

Alison Krauss - It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, from the album Forget About It. Doesn’t it annoy you when someone describes a song, or a piece of art, as “beautiful”? Surely there must be better ways to describe something, right? Well, this song is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Allison’s translucent vocals and the affecting country-style rhythm section perfectly convey this piercing Todd Rundgren song. Did I say it’s beautiful?

Alicia Keys – If I Ain’t Got You (from Unplugged). I like this version much better than the one that’s received tons of airplay. While not as sad as the other songs here, it does penetrate in a different, more urgent way, with Alicia’s trademark burning vocals. Additional delights here are her powerful hammering of the lower registers of the grand piano with her left hand and the treatment given by the recording engineers of her four backup singers, who are fully dimensional.

Norah Jones – The Nearness of You. This tune might be out of place in her debut cd. But the way she sings it, she’s made it her own and in the process, attentive listener, she has made you hers.

Lani Hall – Time Will Tell. This comes from the Hello It’s Me lp, which was not released on cd. Those who are familiar with Ms. Hall know that she was part of Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66. This album is on my personal desert-island list. What more can I say?

Radka Toneff – The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, from Fairytales. Radka is another young singer who left the world too early. She did leave us with this musical and audio treasure (it’s also a treasure in fiscal terms). Her enigmatic singing style is a perfect match for the enigmatic lyrics of songwriter Jimmy Webb.

Jane Monheit – Comecar de Novo. It’s supposed to be about the end of a love affair. I wouldn’t know as it’s in Portuguese. No matter, the universal language of love is strong enough to wrench the feelings that lurk in the depths of your soul. The playing of the orchestra that accompanies her on this piece is appropriately lush and poignant; the sax that ends it is understated. The cd is entitled Into the Sun. In the Live at the Rainbow Room dvd version, there’s a moment when Jane arches her back and projects her voice upward with full force. For a second, the sound of her unmiked voice floats to you from the rafters, illuminating the acoustic space of the Rainbow Room. Absolutely spectacular.

Rickie Lee Jones – I’ll Be Seeing You. RLJ’s plaintive and vulnerable singing style is well-suited to this piece from her Pop, Pop album. If you first hear this on a so-so system you might skip it, like I first did. That would be a mistake. To hear her every inflection, that is to say, to hear it on MLs, is to be devastated. When Rickie finishes with, "I'll be looking at the moon but I'll be seeing you” – well, if by that time if you aren’t yet a total wreck, you surely will be.

Bravo, Excellent 10...

jfm said:
I've focused this next contribution on "emotional" songs. Now. mind you, most people who know me will consider me one of the least emotional individuals they've met. However, against females singing through electrostats, I have no defense. :)

Here's a list of 10 such songs.

Karrin Allyson – What’s New. This comes from the disc, Ballads, which is a homage to the album of the same title by John Coltrane. Karyn holds you in her spell with her soulful, raspy vocals. What I especially like about her singing is that she pays attention to the meaning of the lyrics. When you hear her sing the line “I haven't changed, I still love you so” it feels like she has stuck a stiletto in your heart. And while you sit there bleeding, the sax and rhythm section enter to offer their condolences.

Cheryl Bentyne – The Very Thought of You. This is from “Among Friends,” a DVD-Audio recording by AIX, which means it’s state-of-the-art for that medium. (The reverse side has a really good dvd-v presentation, too.) Cheryl, one of the two female singers of The Manhattan Transfer, treats this song with her typical restraint, which nonetheless is enough to grip you. Halfway through the piece you are treated to a moving guitar solo by Grant Geissman.

Diana Krall – Why Should I Care? From the cd/sacd, When I Look in Your Eyes.This was the song that introduced me to DK, and it happened serendipitously. When I watch a film at home through MLs, I normally sit through all the credits, just to listen to the music. DK sings this at the end of Clint Eastwood’s True Crime, and good ol’ Clint is one of the songwriers. Sometimes DK may be faulted for merely talking through some of her songs and not stretching herself and really reaching deep down. But not on this one.

Alison Krauss - It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, from the album Forget About It. Doesn’t it annoy you when someone describes a song, or a piece of art, as “beautiful”? Surely there must be better ways to describe something, right? Well, this song is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Allison’s translucent vocals and the affecting country-style rhythm section perfectly convey this piercing Todd Rundgren song. Did I say it’s beautiful?

Alicia Keys – If I Ain’t Got You (from Unplugged). I like this version much better than the one that’s received tons of airplay. While not as sad as the other songs here, it does penetrate in a different, more urgent way, with Alicia’s trademark burning vocals. Additional delights here are her powerful hammering of the lower registers of the grand piano with her left hand and the treatment given by the recording engineers of her four backup singers, who are fully dimensional.

Norah Jones – The Nearness of You. This tune might be out of place in her debut cd. But the way she sings it, she’s made it her own and in the process, attentive listener, she has made you hers.

Lani Hall – Time Will Tell. This comes from the Hello It’s Me lp, which was not released on cd. Those who are familiar with Ms. Hall know that she was part of Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66. This album is on my personal desert-island list. What more can I say?

Radka Toneff – The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, from Fairytales. Radka is another young singer who left the world too early. She did leave us with this musical and audio treasure (it’s also a treasure in fiscal terms). Her enigmatic singing style is a perfect match for the enigmatic lyrics of songwriter Jimmy Webb.

Jane Monheit – Comecar de Novo. It’s supposed to be about the end of a love affair. I wouldn’t know as it’s in Portuguese. No matter, the universal language of love is strong enough to wrench the feelings that lurk in the depths of your soul. The playing of the orchestra that accompanies her on this piece is appropriately lush and poignant; the sax that ends it is understated. The cd is entitled Into the Sun. In the Live at the Rainbow Room dvd version, there’s a moment when Jane arches her back and projects her voice upward with full force. For a second, the sound of her unmiked voice floats to you from the rafters, illuminating the acoustic space of the Rainbow Room. Absolutely spectacular.

Rickie Lee Jones – I’ll Be Seeing You. RLJ’s plaintive and vulnerable singing style is well-suited to this piece from her Pop, Pop album. If you first hear this on a so-so system you might skip it, like I first did. That would be a mistake. To hear her every inflection, that is to say, to hear it on MLs, is to be devastated. When Rickie finishes with, "I'll be looking at the moon but I'll be seeing you” – well, if by that time if you aren’t yet a total wreck, you surely will be.
jfm,

Wow, what an excellent, discriptive homage to these, '10 great female singers'... :D
Now, I'm really looking foreward to some glorious times, auditioning these recomendations, one by one, as I've only listened (own), two of these great recommended CD's Nora Jones and Diana Krall... :D jfm, you've given me some very pleasant listening ahead and I appreciate it...

Thank you

Cheers

-Robin

10 best female

Just a second opinion and no particular order: Album: Artist: Song:

Growing up in Hollywood Town: Amanda McBroom: Amanda
Renaissance : Annie Haslam : Mother Russia
Metropolis : Bonnie Tyler : Here She Comes
Heart of a woman : Etta James : At Last
What's New : Linda Ronstadt : What's New
Trio :Dolly,Linda,Emmylou : Telling Me Lies
Eurythmics Hits : Annie Lenox : Would I lie to you
Tina Turner Hits : Tina : Better Be Good To Me
Private Dancer
Carly Simon : Carly Simon :That's the way I always
heard it should be

And a BONUS: For Everyone: Dr. Chesky's 5.1 Surround Show

Robin - eager to hear your take on these songs when you get them. Cheers.

Maria Muldar "Midnight At The Oasis"

Bett Midler "The Rose" " The Glory of Love"

Wow more wonderful selections...

audiorapured and C.A.P,

I like... I love these excellent women singers one and all... :D :D

jfm,

I will post my impressions soon... ;)

Thanks again,

Cheers

-Robin

Back