Best female solo ever...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
off topic

:cool: Just a thought, but is it possible, (or just a bad idea), for everyone to burn their favorites and then we create a library of our favorites for anyone to download? Or, burn them to a disc and send them to someone who would act as the holder of these discs, (and either burn a copy for whoever asks for a sample) or just mail it out at the members cost? Sorry, but we have such great equipment and a wonderful opportunity to share. I did not want to over- step or create any copywrite problemsm but why not Have I started a new thread?

C.A.P said:
Bett Midler "The Rose"

If you like "The Rose" by Bette, listen to the version by Amanda McBroom. Also her version of "The Portrait"

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
If you like "The Rose" by Bette, listen to the version by Amanda McBroom. Also her version of "The Potrait"

Dan
Hola. Begin the Begin by Gal Costa. Bossa is great and she is breath taking...
Cheers,
Roberto.

DTB300 said:
If you like "The Rose" by Bette, listen to the version by Amanda McBroom. Also her version of "The Portrait"

Dan

I will subscribe and try :D

My Favorite!

Dianne Schuur "Deedles" GRP "Rock Me On the Water." I agree with the Amanda McBroom selections also.

Roberto my friend, can we never forget Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66 with Loni Hall and Janis Hanson doing "Look of Love? And since that memory brought me to Roberta Flack and " 1st time ever I saw your face", and Judy Collins "Send in the Clowns", I want to add K.D.Langs "Constant Craving", and Debbra Harry with "Heart of Glass" followed up with Cleo Laines "I've got a crush on you" and end with the breathtaking Mady Mesple & Danielle Millet doing-- Delibes: Lakme-Viens, Mallika...Dome epais from the movie "Someone to Watch Over Me". Sorry members, I'm all over the place tonight....

boy are those all great pulls , SEND IN THE CLOWNS , WOW !! ROBERTA FLACK !! GREAT STUFF!!

How about Melissa Manchester "Dont Cry Out Loud" Barbara Striesand "The Way We Were"

Last edited:
Best Female

C.A.P., if you like Barbara, how about her rendition of "Somewhere", or the hauntingly beautiful "Theme From Harry's Game" by Maire Brennan of Clannad.

audioraptured said:
C.A.P., if you like Barbara, how about her rendition of "Somewhere", or the hauntingly beautiful "Theme From Harry's Game" by Maire Brennan of Clannad.

Yep, Clannad is one of my favorites. This cut is on my audio testing disc. For those that might be interested, a good sampling of Clannad music, including this cut, can be found on their album "Past Present".

http://www.clannad.ie/albums/pastpresent.html

Volkswagen in the US about ruined it for me though - they started using this cut as the theme music for some of their TV commercials a number of years ago. The singer Enya was in the band early on - she and Maire are sisters. Their musical styles are different though.

Best Female

SteveInNC has made an excellent comment about commercials messing up some really special music. Enya sang with this great Irish group from 1980-82 and then went on her own. Her song "Orinoco Flow" was very good and great on VHS-1 with the video. IMHO I think she has made some excellent contributions to the world of music. Clannad also made a song for one of the best sound tracks I have heard in a long while, that of "The Last of the Mohicans" with the last number being " I Will Find You". (However, song #3 "The Kiss", from the sound track is one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. The violin with the orchestra is almost "other-worldly")!
But going back to the part of over-commercialization, I would also add "Adiemus", (from the "Pure Moods" disc), when United Airlines drove it into the ground with over play. There should be a law against.........!

How about a few with a country slant

Mary Chapin Carpenter - The End Of My Pirate Days, from the album Stones In The Road

Trisha Yearwood - Hard Promises To Keep, from the album The Song Remembers When

Patty Loveless - When Fallen Angles Fly, from the album of the same name

Kathy Mattea - Standing Knee Deep In A River (Dying Of Thirst), from the album Lonesome Standard Time ("Seeds" from the same album is also good)

Alison Krauss & Union Station - There Is A Reason, from the album 'Live'...(lots of good ones on this album)

and a couple doing the older standards:

Linda Ronstadt - When You Wish Upon A Star, from the album 'Round Midnight

Natalie Cole - Mona Lisa, from the album Unforgettable, With Love

Enjoy,
Peter

Just heard this new vocalist on Radioio Acoustic... Stacy Jagger, with a gorgeous voice, and a jazz-blues-country flavor. Reminds me of Eva Cassidy, who incidentally, Stacy says on her website (stacyjagger.com), was *her* favorite vocalist. Unfortunately, her debut album, Faded Memories, is currently out of stock at CDBaby, so I could only listen to samples. I predict we'll be hearing lots more from her.

In case you haven't heard her yet, do check out Renee Olstead. She was all of 14 years old a couple of years ago when she recorded her debut, eponymous album. Yup, 14. She doesn't sound 14 most times; what's cool is that you can hear a young woman on the verge of becoming a mature one -- Neil Sedaka called her "Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday all wrapped in one."

She sounds great on MLs. You can hear how her voice varies from young to not-so-young. Nice recording overall.

B00020HEL6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on Renee. Another pristine young voice is Hayley Westenra, from New Zealand. She has a more operatic/classical repertoire, but some popular stuff as well. Her debut album Pure is incredible, and I just discovered her 2nd CD is out, need to get that one. More about her at hayleywestenra.com

Judith Owen "lost and found" will make your Logans sound really great!

Back