Best Center Channel for Monolith III's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

clsIIzFan

I am new to the club but not the product. I have owned, as two channel only systems the following;

Monolith I and II's
Original CLS and CLSIIz's in Rosewood
Sequel II's
and Monolith III's

I am keeping my CLSIIz's for my two channel system and the Monolith III's in my HT system.

In building a 7.1 system with Monolith III's Front L/R
Voyage for Sides and Rears
Descent for Sub

What Center Channel would serve the best for this set up?
Logos, Theater i, Cinema i, or the new Stage?

Thanks for any input as it would be greatly appreciated, Dave.

What Center Channel would serve the best for this set up? Logos, Theater i, Cinema i, or the new Stage?
For myself, I would either purchase a Theater or a Stage. You can probably pick up a Theater for a great price now that the Stage is out.

Dan

The Logos would be the best tonal match and better than both the Stage and Cinema. The Theater is the best, with huge dynamics, but might be a worse tonal match.

I had a Logos in conjuction with my Monoliths for several years, and while it was OK, it never really kept up with the dynamics of the mains.

The challenge for a center is to not only match tonally with the L/R, but to also provide a seamless transition across the front in terms of dynamics.
If playing a movie, you don't want the dialog going across the front to change based on relative volume.

The Logos did OK up to about 92SPL avg level, above that, the mid-bass driver would break up (and I had it externally crossed over at 100Hz, which is higher than usual for that speaker, so it should have been able to cope).

The Theater i would probably do better in that respect due to the dual mid-bass driver. Likewise for the Stage.

In my case, two mid-bass drivers were not enough and I went my own way. Click on the SL3XC link in my sig. There are some measurements and comments on the Logos in there as well.

My recommendation is find a used Theater i or get a new Stage.

Back