Benchmark AHB2 amplifier?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
low wattage ? 108 into 8 ohms and 210 into 4 ohms, not low wattage at all !

I have this amp running my Classic 9, it sounds fantastic and has plenty of power.

I love how the specifications are presented in such detail on the Benchmark web site.

There are a few amps that intrigue me lately that I'd like to try out. This is one of them.
I've never played around with their AHB2 amp, but do own their HPA4 headphone/line amplifier as it can handle both my single-ended and balanced headphones, and one of their DAC3B DAC's. The HPA4 is absolutely rock solid... built like a tank... piece of gear! Both the headphone amp and DAC look good, sound good, and while you mentioned the specs on their website, take a look at their manuals. Lots and lots of details, explanations, etc. Really nice gear and my guess is the AHB2 would follow that same path (in addition, it has a lot of killer reviews)...

Hi. I drive my Martin Logan Montis pair with the Benchmark AHB2 driven by the DAC3 HGC. The results are superb. This pair sounds as good as the extraordinary measurements indicate: utterly clean, transparent, stable and satisfying. As a reminder, many ML speakers have their own amplification for driving the bass units. The real trick is getting the mid- and treble range right, and this is extremely well done by the AHB2.

i've tried tube power amps -- a pair of McIntosh MC60s and a Marantz 8B that I reconditioned -- but these poop out at the upper end and make the Montis sound dull and lifeless. I also used, for a long time, an Adcom GFA-555 (Nelson Pass designed) which I modified to improve the mid- and high frequency power supply bypassing, which gave better results than the tube beasties. But the AHB2 is far superior.

I now own an NAD M33 with Purifi amps (another system) that I could try with the Montis, but that's surely another topic ... and, frankly, the AHB2 sounds so good that ... well, I've already said how pleased I am with it combined with the Montis in that particular room setup.

Last edited:
Hi. I drive my Martin Logan Montis pair with the Benchmark AHB2 driven by the DAC3 HGC. The results are superb. This pair sounds as good as the extraordinary measurements indicate: utterly clean, transparent, stable and satisfying.
I've read very good things about this amp from very knowledgable folks! I've wanted to hear them with ML for a couple years.

FWIW, the Benchmark AHB2 can be purchased directly from benchmarkmedia.com. The AHB2 (and some other components like the DAC3) are sold on a 30 day money back basis, which is nice if you want to try it out in your own setup.

The benchmark website also has the AHB2 manual in downloadable PDF format. The manual includes extensive measurement data showing stellar performance which has been confirmed by Audio Science Review. The AHB2, combined with the DAC3, has one of the lowest levels of distortion and noise of any amplifier in production.

Be forewarned: The AHB2 has XLR balanced input connectors. It does not have RCA inputs. Also, because of this amp's modest physical size, the real estate on the back is tight, so some speaker cable connectors will work out better than others. I use the Neutrik connectors along with the Benchmark-built cables that mate with these.

Hi. I drive my Martin Logan Montis pair with the Benchmark AHB2 driven by the DAC3 HGC. The results are superb. This pair sounds as good as the extraordinary measurements indicate: utterly clean, transparent, stable and satisfying. As a reminder, many ML speakers have their own amplification for driving the bass units. The real trick is getting the mid- and treble range right, and this is extremely well done by the AHB2.

i've tried tube power amps -- a pair of McIntosh MC60s and a Marantz 8B that I reconditioned -- but these poop out at the upper end and make the Montis sound dull and lifeless. I also used, for a long time, an Adcom GFA-555 (Nelson Pass designed) which I modified to improve the mid- and high frequency power supply bypassing, which gave better results than the tube beasties. But the AHB2 is far superior.

I now own an NAD M33 with Purifi amps (another system) that I could try with the Montis, but that's surely another topic ... and, frankly, the AHB2 sounds so good that ... well, I've already said how pleased I am with it combined with the Montis in that particular room setup.
Hi Rascal,

The current amplifier that I use now to drive my ESL11A is creating a sound that is a bit "thin'.
I am considering buying anothet amplifier that address this "thiness' issue.
That is why I have research Benchmark AHB2 (I have owned a Benchmark DAC in the pass).

You mentioned that the your old McIntosh and Marantz made the Montis sound dull and lifeless.
Does the Benchmark AHB2 make a small or substantial imporvement?

Thanks.

Hi Rascal,

The current amplifier that I use now to drive my ESL11A is creating a sound that is a bit "thin'.
I am considering buying anothet amplifier that address this "thiness' issue.
That is why I have research Benchmark AHB2 (I have owned a Benchmark DAC in the pass).

You mentioned that the your old McIntosh and Marantz made the Montis sound dull and lifeless.
Does the Benchmark AHB2 make a small or substantial imporvement?

Thanks.
The simple answer is yes. However, you didn’t say what amp you’re using, and what “thinness” really means.

My Montis speakers are capacitive with the impedance dropping down to fractions of an ohm at very high frequencies. The tube amps I mentioned can’t drive that sort of load without exhibiting a serious roll off in high frequency response. The AHB2 is much more capable of handling the Montis as a load.

The AHB2 works far better than the other amps that I own, but without more information, it’s not clear how these results might apply to you.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Benchmark sells the AHB2 with a thirty day money back trial period.

Also, a reminder: the AHB2 has balanced XLR inputs. It does not have single ended RCA inputs.

Back