Ben Harper - Fight for Your Mind

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebrof2000

Reaction score
Artist Ben Harper
Title Fight for Your Mind (Redbook CD – 68:08)
Year of Release 1995
Record Label Virgin Records
Genre Pop/Rock

A little Pop, and little Funk, lots of great acoustic music to make your Logans shine.
This is Ben Harper’s 3rd release, and it’s my favorite for 2 reasons – The recording and the music. I also like his “Diamonds on the Inside” album, but I find the recording a little too bright for my taste/system. This album is over 68 minutes long, so you certainly get a lot of music for your money.
The disc starts with “Oppression”, where Harper is standing up for “the tired and the weak” and then tells this evil force “You will learn to fear me”. Social commentary with a Reggae feel.
“Gold to me” is a song with a good bass line that gets my feet tapping and gets me turning up the volume.
“Burn One Down” is a well recorded song with different drums, guitars, mostly acoustic that sounds very nice on my system. Great tune if you can get past the reference to smoking pot: “Let us burn one from end to end, and pass it over to me my friend. If you don’t like my fire than don’t come around, ‘cause I’m gonna burn one down.”
There are other really good songs on this album, and listening to it is a bit of an experience, as the music varies so much in character throughout. Some social commentary, some pretty basic acoustic pop, and some of it is Harper just doing his thing. As with most Ben Harper material, you sense he’s putting his heart and soul into his music.
The disc ends with “One Road to Freedom”, and although it may have been an afterthought or a “throw in”, it’s one of my favorite songs on the album. Very simple, Harper strumming an electric guitar, soft drums and accompanying bass. It almost sounds like a few guys just hanging around your listening room and decided to play a little music. “In my life I have been blessed. And I have been cursed. There are so many roads to travel. There’s just one road to freedom.”
I recommend this album as a more funk / less Pop alternative to those of you who enjoy Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Dave Matthews (more Rock), etc.
Oh yeah – Sorry if my review reads like a 5th grader wrote it. It’s not easy!
Mike

Attachments

• Harper_Fight.jpg
    Harper_Fight.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,039
Artist Ben Harper
Title Fight for Your Mind (Redbook CD – 68:08)

That sounds like a good one. I know I'm going to check it out! Thanks for taking the time to pass it on.

Now I hate to do this.... but I have to ask the noobie Q...

What is a 'Redbook' CD?

Thanks,

Adam

This is probably my favorite Ben Harper album too, closely followed by "Welcome To The Cruel World" - great album, all the way through. I'm not a toker, but I can't help getting drawn in to the funky rhythm's of "Burn One Down".

FatJ - "Redbook" CD is plain jane 16 bit compact disc conforming to the Phillips/Sony specification platform. It's the "regular" cd's we've all be buying for years as opposed to HDCD and XRCD (which are still "Redbook" based), or any of the High Rez digital audio platforms (HDAD, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray etc.).

FatJ - "Redbook" CD is plain jane 16 bit compact disc conforming to the Phillips/Sony specification platform. It's the "regular" cd's we've all be buying for years as opposed to HDCD and XRCD (which are still "Redbook" based), or any of the High Rez digital audio platforms (HDAD, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray etc.).

Whew.. What a relief! For a minute there I thought it was another format I was gonna have to support. :D

Thanks!

Artist Ben Harper
“Burn One Down” is a well recorded song with different drums, guitars, mostly acoustic that sounds very nice on my system. Great tune if you can get past the reference to smoking pot: “Let us burn one from end to end, and pass it over to me my friend. If you don’t like my fire than don’t come around, ‘cause I’m gonna burn one down.”

*"Excuse Me Mr" but I just finished "Burning One Down" this holiday, after 8 straight days of work, The hell with "Fighting For My Mind" My mind is on "One Road To Freedom"

*This is my brain on drugs.

This is also my favorite Ben Harper album.
Mike thanks for posting the review, I haven't listened to this one in a while

Attachments

• Plantmanager.jpg
    Plantmanager.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Well there you have it folks, direct from the Plant Manager. Everyone take the rest of the day off.
Great post, Wayne.

Back