Balanced Force vs. Dynamo - main effect more bass or less vibration?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
In comparing the ML subwoofers, let us for example say the Dynamo 1100x (sealed 12" one woofer) vs. BF210 (sealed 10" 2x woofer).

Am I right in thinking the 1100x might actually put out more 'bass' but less controlled, lots of cabinet vibrations (might 'walk' around room), and less refinement? The BF210 would give you perfect neutral, lots of very controlled bass and the neat features like the perfect speaker matching filters?

Would a primary home theater be better served by two 1100x or one BF210?

My other speakers are ESL-9 and ESL-C Center plus surrounds/rears.

Last edited:
I can't answer most of your questions, but I currently have a single 1100X and I have two BF210s on order.

My 1100X is configured downward facing. You can feel cabinet vibrations, but the feet on the cabinet hold it securely in place. My flooring is reclaimed barn wood, and it's on a 3/4" plywood subfloor over a crawlspace. If mine isn't moving on this surface, I can't imagine it moving.

For home theater use, the single 1100X - once tuned with the PBK (Perfect Bass Kit) and then the room correction on my AVR - is fantastic. It is totally relaxed, extremely dynamic, controlled bass. Before the PBK, it was fairly tubby, even using my AVR's room correction.

Someone else will have to answer your questions about two 1100X vs single BF210.

I'd say two decent subs beat a single great sub, as the differences due to room modes vastly overwhelm the relative quality difference between a 1100x and BF201.
the BF210 is indeed a better sub overall, but a single one will not 'fix' as many room modes as 2 1100X will.

My usual advice is to take whatever sub budget one has and divide by 2 at least, and by 4 if the room is challenging. There is a certain minimum budget I'd not go under, but you'd be surprised how good multiple subs be.

Let me sneak in a second question. Assuming Dynamos, when would you consider front vs. downward firing? I've never had a sub that wasn't front firing. (/edit: except my two dynamos that have been down firing, but I never tried it the other way)

I can't answer your question above but my 800X is on a tile floor with cement under it and until I added the SVS isolation feet it did vibrate enough to cause a lot of buzzing. With the SVS isolation feet they just put out bass and no buzzing. Best $49 you can spend.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Assuming Dynamos, when would you consider front vs. downward firing?
I'd usually try and make a front-firing config work, as there is lower air-mass loading on the driver. But some sealed subs play cleaner with the added loading from down-firing as it balances better the sealed air-mass load. So no one answer to this one.

Fun tibit: I have a friend who wanted to really make sure his sub (down-firing sealed) was not vibrating and was perfectly coupled to his wooden floor (above a crawl space). So he used some metal bars arranged into a U-bracket to wrap over the top of the sub, with a metal top plate that had a rubber mat between it and the sub. He then used some long bolts to now crank that metal U-bolt strapped over the sub onto the floor so it was part of the room.
Worked really well for him.

My Infinite baffle sub is self-canceling WRT vibration due to 4 opposing drivers, but being glued and screwed onto the floor (over the manifold opening to the crawl space beneath) means it has zero movement. So a sub that is physically tied into the structure can be quite clean.

Now that I write this, I might strap down the rear 18" sealed sub. But it is a >250Lbs 9 cubic foot box thanks to a tray in the top holding 100+Lbs of sacks of sand. So it does not move, but hey, overkill is my middle name!

All other things be equal, I think the more pertinent issue is sealed versus ported.

Back