BACCH4mac, you really should try it

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a demo at AXPONA in April, and it was very fascinating!

With limited time and an active demo going on, I wasn't able to ask all that I wanted in deference to everyone else in the room wanting to experience what I did.

I was sitting left of MLP before I got the chance to sit in the MLP, and while sitting in that seat I didn't hear what I later heard while sitting in the MLP. It was quite a big difference, and the system wasn't even calibrated for me, it was calibrated for the guy who first occupied the MLP seat before me (he had the same sitting height as me).

Is it possible for any other seating to be involved in the effects of BAACH4Mac?

Janzen Valentina A8
IMG_9460 BAACH-Janzen-Speakers.jpg

They didn't sound like anything special when I was sitting outside of "the zone", but once I sat in the special seat they came alive!

So they have that "head in a vice" thing going on?
It's not a head in a vice for the person sitting in the MLP. I was able to move my head about as much as I wanted and the sound did NOT change, it was always great.

But,
There's a camera that follows the head of the person in the MLP, and this is how the software app knows where the head is and what orientation it has.

So with only one camera following one head, the other heads in the room don't benefit - as far as I know.

That's correct. Speakers that beam are ideal for the program. An owner of Sanders speakers said he never knew how exhausting it was to keep his head positioned just right before he got the BACCH4mac. Now he is free to move his head and just enjoy the music.

That's correct. Speakers that beam are ideal for the program. An owner of Sanders speakers said he never knew how exhausting it was to keep his head positioned just right before he got the BACCH4mac. Now he is free to move his head and just enjoy the music.
Oh,ok. It's the software you think that required you to sit in the sweet spot and its not the nature of the Janzen speakers? Those speakers if I remember right have ES panels and look like something I might like.

I think I'm confusing you. The BACCH4mac software and hardware take speakers like ML, Sanders, and Janzen and broaden the soundstage, improve definition, and widen the sweet spot. It has a head tracking camera that allows you to move around and maintain the sound improvements.

I've finally ordered the upgrade to the Audiophile package. I'll post what I think in a few weeks.

I think I'm confusing you. The BACCH4mac software and hardware take speakers like ML, Sanders, and Janzen and broaden the soundstage, improve definition, and widen the sweet spot. It has a head tracking camera that allows you to move around and maintain the sound improvements.

I've finally ordered the upgrade to the Audiophile package. I'll post what I think in a few weeks.
Yeah. I know what youre saying. I kinda forgot what this thread was about when I saw the picture of the Janzen speakers. I hope it can track you without having to wear anything on your head. Years ago I used a head tracking device for gaming but I had to wear a hat on my head with a clip on it.

The Janszen speakers are excellent and have pretty good dispersion. I did an audition at David Janszen’s factory and never had the “head in a vice” feel that I got from Roger Sander’s speakers. I seriously doubt technology like this is necessary to enjoy a pair of Janszen speakers. Or ML’s, for that matter. Maybe Sanders Sound.

The BAACH system is not just for being able to move one's head about. There is quite a bit of "room removal" happening.

The rooms upstairs at AXPONA are incredibly terrible, acoustically speaking. But the demo I got made the room virtually disappear, which meant I had a great experience hearing only the speakers. Just look at the photo above, no treatments behind the setup, a desk to the right within touching distance from the MLP, and all the rooms had a horrible resonance at either 63Hz or 77Hz, but none of this affected the sound I heard in the MLP.

Sitting outside of the sweet spot with the Janzen speakers, the sound wasn't very good, before or after the calibration, meaning, it sounded just like any other room that day with average speakers. But once I was in the spot that the system was calibrated for the sound improved immensely. Then, when I moved my head and the sound didn't change at all was just plain freaky good. The audio quality in that spot was great, and as long as the camera could follow my head, so did the great sound. And the camera had no problem following my movements in the range that's possible for me while sitting in a chair.

The BAACH system is not just for being able to move one's head about. There is quite a bit of "room removal" happening.

The rooms upstairs at AXPONA are incredibly terrible, acoustically speaking. But the demo I got made the room virtually disappear, which meant I had a great experience hearing only the speakers. Just look at the photo above, no treatments behind the setup, a desk to the right within touching distance from the MLP, and all the rooms had a horrible resonance at either 63Hz or 77Hz, but none of this affected the sound I heard in the MLP.

Sitting outside of the sweet spot with the Janzen speakers, the sound wasn't very good, before or after the calibration, meaning, it sounded just like any other room that day with average speakers. But once I was in the spot that the system was calibrated for the sound improved immensely. Then, when I moved my head and the sound didn't change at all was just plain freaky good. The audio quality in that spot was great, and as long as the camera could follow my head, so did the great sound. And the camera had no problem following my movements in the range that's possible for me while sittin

Yeah. I know what youre saying. I kinda forgot what this thread was about when I saw the picture of the Janzen speakers. I hope it can track you without having to wear anything on your head. Years ago I used a head tracking device for gaming but I had to wear a hat on my head with a clip on it.
No headgear. You put in ear microphones, some sweeps are done. Takes about a minute. The camera, which can be located pretty much anywhere as long as it can see you, tracks you from then on.

The "Intro" package uses tape measurements to achieve some of the effect. I'm told about 70-80%.

The Janszen speakers are excellent and have pretty good dispersion. I did an audition at David Janszen’s factory and never had the “head in a vice” feel that I got from Roger Sander’s speakers. I seriously doubt technology like this is necessary to enjoy a pair of Janszen speakers. Or ML’s, for that matter. Maybe Sanders Sound.
Oh, I enjoy my 13a's! It's just that this makes them better. I'm using the BACCH4mac Intro package now. You can turn the program on and off to see if there is a difference. Most definitely!

I can guarantee you that you won't find a better audio improvement for $895 (Intro package). And they offer a full refund trial period.

Sitting outside of the sweet spot with the Janzen speakers, the sound wasn't very good, before or after the calibration, meaning, it sounded just like any other room that day with average speakers. But once I was in the spot that the system was calibrated for the sound improved immensely. Then, when I moved my head and the sound didn't change at all was just plain freaky good. The audio quality in that spot was great, and as long as the camera could follow my head, so did the great sound. And the camera had no problem following my movements in the range that's possible for me while sitting in a chair.
Edgar said you get about 90% of the effect if it isn't calibrated specifically for you head. And he said with head tracking there is no limit to movement as long as you are in the calibrated area.

I am so looking forward to the upgrade.

No headgear. You put in ear microphones, some sweeps are done. Takes about a minute. The camera, which can be located pretty much anywhere as long as it can see you, tracks you from then on.

The "Intro" package uses tape measurements to achieve some of the effect. I'm told about 70-80%.
Ok, so once its calibrated, it doesn't require the listener to use any kind of gear on the head? The ear microphone are just for setup? Sounds pretty good. I'd love to hear and compare to how my system sounds just using Audyssey.
So the only thing for monitoring that's required after calibration is a small camera up front?

Oh, I enjoy my 13a's! It's just that this makes them better. I'm using the BACCH4mac Intro package now. You can turn the program on and off to see if there is a difference. Most definitely!

I can guarantee you that you won't find a better audio improvement for $895 (Intro package). And they offer a full refund trial period.
Is that for all of the software and hardware, or do you need to buy a Macintosh pc too?

Is that for all of the software and hardware, or do you need to buy a Macintosh pc too?
Yes, you need a Mac. I bought a Mac Air from Costco, that way I had plenty of time to try it out and still be able to return it.

I'd never used a Mac before. Edgar set everything up on it for me. After that it's just a couple of clicks and listen to music.

From what I see, the Intro Package doesn't do Head Tracking, it's just the app and tech support.

For Head Tracking which needs the Ear Microphones it's a bunch more moola.

Ok, so once its calibrated, it doesn't require the listener to use any kind of gear on the head? The ear microphone are just for setup? Sounds pretty good. I'd love to hear and compare to how my system sounds just using Audyssey.
So the only thing for monitoring that's required after calibration is a small camera up front?
The Intro package doesn't include the head tracking capabilities. It's just a program downloaded to the Mac. It's $895, fully refundable for 14 days.
That's what I currently have. Once I listened I was hooked.

The Audiophile package ($4,000 upgrade) has the ear microphones, a Babyface Pro interface, and the head tracking camera. Once measurements are done with the ear pieces, the camera keeps you in the sweet spot. 14 day return policy, but a $200 restocking fee.

Last edited:
Back