B&W Center for a ML System?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyonline

Reaction score
I spoke to my ML dealer over the weekend and he told me a few buyers are going with B&W center channels with the diamond tweeter to use in a ML system. They supposedly like the weight and timber of the sound match better than with a Theater or Cinema. I find this unusual, but such a setup is not available at the dealer for me to hear. Anyone have experience with this pairing?

I have the HTM-2 with my setup - New, it was $1000, and I was able to pick it up from a dealer for $800. It looks like this model:

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/Model HTM4S

I also made my own custom stand for it to sit on top of the TV. The stand gives me the ability to change the tilt of the speaker. Total cost for the stand < $10. Nothing like JonFo's IB stand for his unbelievable Center Channel Creation.

Like others may say, it does not "exactly" match timbre wise, but it is pretty close and I found it to have a great sound. IMO when I was considering cost versus performance, I found the B&W to be superior to the Cinema... and I saved over $700 to purchase more music and movies.

Go out and take a listen to it and see what you think.

Dan

Thanks for the post. The store I frequent has no ML in a home theater setting, but does have a HT setup upstairs with B&W. Might take one home and see how it integrates. :)

Never was able to perform a side-by-side with them. I heard the Cinema in a couple of setups and was never impressed by it at all - yes even taking into account the store and associated equipment.

In the same store I heard the following:

• The B&W in a complete B&W setup in a large theater room - screen, projector, 18 seats in a three row tiered setup, and the center dialogue was impressive.
  • The Cinema in a smaller theater setup - screen, projector, 8 seats in a two row tiered setup was not impressive at all IMO.
After this store audition, I brought the B&W home and it never returned.

Dan

Another speaker to consider (if going with non-electrostats) would be the new Mirage OMD-C2.

The OM line has great dispersion characteristics, ideal for a center. In the past, I've found Mirage to have a decent match for the ML's.

Depending on your seating arrangement, you might find this to be a preferable speaker to the B&W. The throw from this unit will be much better for people who sit in widely spaced seats.

Quality in the OMD line is excellent.

Cheaper, yet still providing many of the same benefits is the Omnisat v2 CC.

I use some Omnipolar FX's as sides in my rig and they blend very well (although they are at -3db to the rest of the rig)

m2-550-OMD-C2-HGB-on-black.jpg

I sencond that Mirage vote. As myself and a few others have stated in another post, if it wasn't ML, Mirage would be the speaker in my living room.

It's just an all round great sounding speaker.

B&W Center

DTB300 said:
Never was able to perform a side-by-side with them. I heard the Cinema in a couple of setups and was never impressed by it at all - yes even taking into account the store and associated equipment.

In the same store I heard the following:

• The B&W in a complete B&W setup in a large theater room - screen, projector, 18 seats in a three row tiered setup, and the center dialogue was impressive.
  • The Cinema in a smaller theater setup - screen, projector, 8 seats in a two row tiered setup was not impressive at all IMO.
After this store audition, I brought the B&W home and it never returned.

Dan
Dan,

I was never able to compare ML with B&W speakers side-by-side either. However, recently (a month ago) I did audition several B&W speakers encluding the HTM1D... :D
The B&W HTMD1 center channel speaker was impressive most impressive... Especially in the dynamic mid-range and bass preformance. :)

Attachments

• HTM1D_Main_image.jpg
    HTM1D_Main_image.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 297
socialxray said:
Has anyone tried Magnepan centers?

having owned Maggie's for twenty years, one of the reasons I gravited away was their poor center channel. maybe things have changed in the past year but what they offered a year ago was trully sub-par, IMHO !!

B&W LC600 with SL3s

I use a B&W LC600S3 as the Center channel in my HT set up. The front mains are SL3s and the rear channels are B&W 604S2s. They play fairly well together but it is not seemless as the B&Ws are a little brighter. The B&Ws are also more sensitive so you need to adjust your amp accourdingly as well. Dialogue is very important and you want it to be clear. For this the B&Ws truly excel and the price is right. (B&Ws smaller/cheaper center channel speaker is perhaps actually a little more musically detailed... but can't play as loud or quite as deep... sorry dont remember the exact name of it :( ).

Attachments

• Image-BB7F3E5CC7B311DA.jpg
    Image-BB7F3E5CC7B311DA.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 199
Back