Ayre V5xe vs. Mac MC452

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger92

Reaction score
I'd like to know your guys' personal experiences with the Ayre V5xe and McIntosh MC452. I'm in the market for a 2ch amp for my Spires and wanted to hear some trusted opinions. Eventually soon, I will be able to audition them for myself.

Yes, you should definitely audition for yourself. The chances of any of us having experience with those two particular amps (in our systems) is not much more than zero.

The chances of any of us having experience with those two particular amps (in our systems) is not much more than zero.
Why do you say these particular amps would be less than zero with Martin logan speakers? The Mac would drive these speakers with excellent sound and so would the Arye. JMHO

Why do you say these particular amps would be less than zero with Martin logan speakers? The Mac would drive these speakers with excellent sound and so would the Arye. JMHO

He means that it's very unlikely any of us have listened to both the amps you specify in our own systems. So, we wouldn't be able to give you any meaningful comparitive feedback.

However, many of us have had or now have Mac amplification - and Macs are very highly regarded. Based on my involvement with this forum, I've not seen many folks discuss Ayre, but I have to imagine some here have mated Ayre to ML and likely have some opinion.

The bottom line really is that most ML models work best with high quality amplification so it's unlikely you'd be disappointed with either choice... but as Amey says, there's really only one way to decide for yourself... your ears.

Cheers

You should post your qustion over at audioaficionado.org . Lots of mac owners over there who would like to help. I just joind that forum and find the site very helpful and a cool bunch of guys.

Well, I still don't see any takers. I guess that makes my point. I'm sure they would both drive MLs well. But what's the point in commenting if you haven't heard both these amps in your system. And I don't mean a different model of Ayre and a different model of Mac - that means nothing. The OP is being very specific.

I owned a MC-352 with Vantage and Spires. Does the little brother count?

Gordon

I'd like to know your guys' personal experiences with the Ayre V5xe and McIntosh MC452. I'm in the market for a 2ch amp for my Spires and wanted to hear some trusted opinions. Eventually soon, I will be able to audition them for myself.

I won't comment on this question specifically but, based on extensive experience, will suggest one caution and leave it at that. Speakers with wide variances in their impedence curve over their frequency range and power amplifiers using output transformers don't go together well.

It will depend on how well the Ayre handles a speaker that can dip below 1 ohm. I found that the output taps on my MC452 were critical in getting my Summits to sound good. The 2 ohm taps on the MC452 made a huge difference for the better. I can't speak for the Ayre, but their equipment is very good.

It will depend on how well the Ayre handles a speaker that can dip below 1 ohm. I found that the output taps on my MC452 were critical in getting my Summits to sound good. The 2 ohm taps on the MC452 made a huge difference for the better. I can't speak for the Ayre, but their equipment is very good.

My experience with the MC402 was not as gratifying. Sure, using a lower tap increased the high frequency response somewhat but at the expense of mid-range and bass. Using the lowest tap, the mid-range lost some of the marvelous liquid sound and the bass got loose with my Summits. There just is no tap that is optimal for this type of speaker. Over time, the lack of air and associated emotional engagement resulted in less and less listening to music until I replaced it with a good direct-coupled amp.

This is a very old thread, and likely no longer relevant to the OP, but I have used an Ayre V-5xe for years with ML Aerius i speakers, and it's a wonderful pairing - huge soundstage, stunning transparency, liquid top end, and controlled, authoritative bass (though I supplement with 2 Paradigm Servo 15 subs). I've never heard any strain suggesting that the amp was clipping or the speakers were being overdriven, even when playing very loud. Anytime I suspected that, I would significantly decrease the volume, only to discover that the objectionable sound characteristic continued even at very low volume, indicating that it was inherent in the recording.

Yeah, very old thread... in 2012 I was visiting the Sth East Asian region, discovering the Statements Evo-II's and Infinity's IRSV'S.
In that part of the woods, there were two dealers who now use Ayre monoblocks and the MC462 on their Maggie's 30.7's. I was very impressed with the way Ayre handles those massive Maggie's and yet again just as impressive with the big Mac!

I guess as members have very rightly pointed out, it's upto the owner / user to decide which one suits their needs, listening habits and musical tastes. It's definitely a personal preference, there's no such thing as best. All depends on your particular setup.

Cheers, RJ

Latest posts

Back