Avoiding Localized Sound with Surrounds?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newoski

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got my 35XTis and 30i sounding about right. My 15XTis are setup about 2 feet to the left/right of the couch, against a back wall. They're about 6" above ear level, right now, as I await taller stands. Unfortunately, the sound is overpowering and sounds very localized. I ended up grabbing a pair of 4i speakers and tested them in place of the 15XTis and they sound MUCH better. Much less localized. It's like there's a 10ft wall of sound behind me, when watching something like Tenet. That said, I have the FX on order, as well, to test. The tallest stands I can find for any of the speakers above is about 36". Any tips on making the 15s sound less localized? Are the 4i speakers considered powerful enough to pair with my L/R/C channel speakers? Would the FX be best to disperse sound in this setup?

Thanks!!

I have a pair of 4is now as surrounds on the left and right of my couch. They sound great - not overpowering. I have ML ESLs in the front, along with ML AFXs on stands in the front. Everything sounds balanced and I can still hear effects distinctly. I just ordered a pair of 15is. Considering your post, I may move them in the rear, behind the couch, and leave the 4is next to the couch.

Back