AV receiver for Vantage, Cinema and subwoofer system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

Reaction score
Hello fellow ML owners,

I have a ML 5.1 system with Vantage as the mains. I am looking to upgrade my separates into a single receiver as my system is mostly used for video/movies now. I am also in the need of HDMI and 4K capabilities that my old Meridien preamp lacks.
Will a receiver like Yamaha A4A be enough to drive my system?

Hi Naren, in general, receivers do not have amplifiers capable of handling the ESL load a classic model like the Vantage presents.

As a fellow Merdian owner (I had a 565, then a 568 back in the day), I can understand the desire to keep that brand for its fantastic sound quality. But the lack of any form of HDMI was a bummer. Using external HDMI switchers and such gets too complicated (been there, done that).

If running a preamp-based system now, you must have your own amplification for the speakers, right?

If the amps are good, then I'd look at a receiver or used processor to replace the Meridian preamp.

A used Marantz 8805 on the high end is still a really good choice, as it handles 4K fine and has current audio codec support. About $2K to $2.5K. The MultEQ-X app supports it as well.

If looking for something that integrates all the newest tech, then a current gen Denon X3700H should do the job as a pre-amp replacement, as it has pre-outs, Audyssey XT32, support for the App and / or the MultEQ-X pro-level app.
I have an X3600H in my secondary media room system, and really like it.

As a Meridian fan, you will like to know that the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) in these latest models is essentially a direct descendant of the TriField upmixer in the Meridians. I run DSU on almost all 2ch and even upmix 5.1 to 5.1.4 as I have overheads as well; so happy that tech lives on.

Yamaha A4A
I took a look at the specs, and that does have 7.2 pre-outs, so it should do if you like Yamahas.

I think that Audyssey XT32 when tunned via the $200 extra MultEQ-X app might allow you to better tune the room correction for finicky ESLs. So Denon or Marantz would be the options with that.
Plenty of people love Dirac room correction, so the NAD line and some others, but operationally, many of those brands are more hit or miss concerning HDMI stability and other glitches. The D&M products are quite stable these days and have good value.

JonFo- thank you so much for your comprehensive reply!
I love the Meridian pre-amp (568) and yes I have separate amp powering all 5 speakers which is sufficient. The idea of using a receiver only as a pre-amp is a good one and I will take a look at Denon, dont really want to spend more than about 1-1.2K for this 'upgrade' which is essentially a convenience since I am getting everything except the HDMI switching already and sound via Optical directly from the TV
One of the pains with the pre-amp is that I have lost the remote (which was huge to begin with) so don't have the convenience of a controller.

Thanks again

One of the pains with the pre-amp is that I have lost the remote (which was huge to begin with) so don't have the convenience of a controller.
Bummer, and yes, that remote was huge.

I think I have the Pronto IR Hex codes for that somewhere. Or you could buy a used Harmony remote and load it with the commands for the Meridian. But do it quickly before they turn off the servers. On the plus side, prices for some of the nicer Harmony models are plummeting.

Maybe check out Accessories4Less.com. A good source for gear. An authorized seller for the brands they carry. Many pieces are discounted, due to being phased-out, refurbs, B-Stock items. All inspected and repaired, if needed, and warrantied. I've purchased through them without issue.

These should be around your price range:

Accessories4Less

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back