Auditioned the New ARC LS-26 !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twich54 said:
The LS25mKII has been discontinued, the LS-26 is considerably better that the LS-25 to the point that it is compared to the REF 3 , given the topology it shares that makes sense. general consensus amongst the "golden ear" crowd is that it is 80-90% of the REF3 at 60% the cost. List of the LS-26 is $5995.

I've heard that there's a few dealers with some old stock LS25's. Maybe they'll go at some attractive prices. The LS25 would still be a very good buy.

Ed, So long as the LS-25 are the mkII edition I would consider them assuming the pricing was at or below 3k.

Choosing a preamp based on sound alone in this price range is a tough call. I'm assuming they all sound better than what I have now. That said, the "Industrial Design" or looks comes into play as one of the ownership enjoyment factors, just as it does with M/L speakers.

As good looking as the Audio Research LS-26 is, the other pre-amps listed are real lookers.

Congratulations twich54, nice equipment you have there.

kach22i said:
Choosing a preamp based on sound alone in this price range is a tough call. I'm assuming they all sound better than what I have now. That said, the "Industrial Design" or looks comes into play as one of the ownership enjoyment factors, just as it does with M/L speakers.

As good looking as the Audio Research LS-26 is, the other pre-amps listed are real lookers.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, believe me, when I auditioned the LS-26 looks were the LAST thing I was concerned about. That being said I've been a fan of ARC stuff for a long time. Hey, some guys prefer brunette's !!! I like redheads !!

Anthony A. said:
dave, could you expand more on the ls26. i recently heard one at the dealer and thought it sounded superb. i tried a few other pre's but i think im gonna pull the trigger on an arc pre. my question (if you have experience with this), have you compared the ref 1 or 2 mk1 that uses 6922 tubes (that can be rolled extensively) to the new design of the ls26/ref 3 with 6h30 tubes and j fet design? i cannot listen to these units but many feel that they perform better and you can custom tailor the sound with tube rolling. any experience or comments are appreciated. thanks.

Anthony, sorry for not responding earlier. I have very little listening time on ref 1or 2 pre, having owned an SP-9mkII and lastly an LS-16 along with listening at length to the ref3 as well as the new LS-17, it basically came down to what i said in earlier post, the fact that I had a buyer for my LS-16 and what my dealer would do for me on the new LS-26. Also had a extensive chat with Dave Gordon of ARC while he was at Overture in early May.

Well... I weakened and bought the Audio Research LS25 mkII. The unit is brand new in the box and it's half the recommended retail price. I'm told that price is close to what the used ones are going for. Now I need a power amp. I'm auditioning the MC275 and the Audio Research VS55 in a couple of days. I'm not too sure these amps have the brio to drive the Summit. maybe a higher powered S/S is the way to go... :confused:

Edwin, while auditiong my Vantages last fall I listened to the ARC 55watt amp and it did a fine job I also heard the same amp driving a pair of Wilson Sophia's and it fell on it's face. The difference obviously being that the Vantage's / Sumitt's have a powered bass driver.
Take it and the MAC out for a test drive, you hopefully will impressed !!

I've heard both these tube amps before, Dave. I really like their sound, even though they are different tonally if you know what I mean. I can see both these amps driving the Vantage really well - but the Summit is somehow more demanding. Maybe the VS110 is the way to go, but then I haven't got the dollars to spend. Buying the Summit is still hurting financially... :rolleyes:

Tubes & Summits

The MAC MC275 and the ARC VS55 should have no problem driving the Summits to loud levels. For the $3k budget, you should also put the AES SixPacs and the TAD-1000 on your list. I have the SixPacs in my system and couldn't be happier. You can do a search for my posts on the SixPacs and I've also seen posts on the TAD-1000 as well. Good luck.

Spike

Dave, and any member who has heard the ARC LS17,

I'm being offered a good deal to upgrade my LS2B to the LS17 (the 26 would be too much of a stretch for me). I'll arrange to home-audition it, but would like to know what you think of this upgrade. What kinds of improvement would I get?

Thanks!

Other than a piece thats fourteen years newer, I'd say your ears will be the judge. I'm not real familiar with the LS2b, does it have a processor out ? is that even important to you. what I can say about the LS-17 is that the improvements over the LS-16 while subtle are noticeable, better volume attenuation being the first thing I noticed. I really think you need to compare the two in your system and see how each ones sonic characters mesh with the rest of your system.

Another thought....... have you considered "Modding" your LS2b, Great Northern Sound, Steve Huntley is quite well respected in the ARC Mod circle.
I would at least give him a call and talk. Other than that I say, save your $$$ and go for the LS-26, for the differences between that and the 17 are even more noticeable, IMHO.

Good Luck, keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

The LS2B was getting old, and I was concerned about the long-term reliability of its components. I must say it never gave me trouble for many years, part of the reason I like ARC gear. Sonically it had a mechanical, hard quality is some parts of the midrange; alto sax and the upper midrange of the piano for example. I've been curious about GNSC but am not based in the US so this option was not feasible. The 26 was above my budget.

I'm describing the LS2B in the past tense because I pulled the trigger and got the LS17. :)

Aside from the feature set (remote controlled volume, for once), two balanced outs (I biamp through a Meridian 558 via XLRs), one RCA main out (to my Depth), HT processor bypass (I have an integrated AV system) -- the 17 is sooooo much more musical, without sacrificing the clarity and wide soundstage of the LS2; indeeed it takes those qualities to new levels. To those it adds many other qualities.

Best of all, it does that rare thing -- it makes great recordings sound sublime while making poor recordings enjoyable. Yup I'm happy. :)

And now the dealer just offered a VT100 MkII...

jfm, Congrats on the new toy!! i trust it will provide you with the same level of satisfaction that the LS2B did for many years to come !!

I'm describing the LS2B in the past tense because I pulled the trigger and got the LS17. :)

Very cool. Congrats on the new addition!!!

And now the dealer just offered a VT100 MkII...

Ah, yes...the drawbacks of going to the store. Buy one thing, see many other toys worth considering and eventually purchasing.

Dan

Latest posts

Back