Audio Research 40th Anniversary Reference Line Stage Preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I just noticed on ARC's web site that they have a new, limited production, reference preamp to celebrate their 40th anniversary. Must be quite something !

Time for Adam to salivate.

I wonder if Rich will upgrade to it. Would be a great photo-op.

I just noticed on ARC's web site that they have a new, limited production, reference preamp to celebrate their 40th anniversary. Must be quite something !

Time for Adam to salivate.

I wonder if Rich will upgrade to it. Would be a great photo-op.

Tempting Bernard......very tempting. "Click here and there's no going back" - I dared, I clicked, but alas - the Copland is still in my listening room!

I'd say quite a big step up from our ARC SP-9s! I want one of those 40th Anniversary Edition preamps *badly*. I wonder if ARC will accept body parts for payment...? :)

I'd say quite a big step up from our ARC SP-9s! I want one of those 40th Anniversary Edition preamps *badly*. I wonder if ARC will accept body parts for payment...? :)
If you buy that you also need to buy a Ref Phono 2.

Last edited:
Sounds like a page out of the Conrad Johnson playbook - limited editions of ART1, 2, 3 preamps and the new ART Power Amp.

I have no doubt this thing sounds amazing. But high price and manufactured scarcity will sure help move this. Some Ref 5's will also surely hit the used market, so any one drooling over those should be vigilant.

Sounds like a page out of the Conrad Johnson playbook - limited editions of ART1, 2, 3 preamps and the new ART Power Amp.

I have no doubt this thing sounds amazing. But high price and manufactured scarcity will sure help move this. Some Ref 5's will also surely hit the used market, so any one drooling over those should be vigilant.

Good call. McIntosh has had good luck with limited edition anniversary editions as well.

I'm guessing the REF 5 is something most could live with just fine!

Jeff -
My dealer just called with the word that because of new production, he can get me a REF phono2 - brand new (with the trade of my PH7) for about 7+ grand. What do you think?

Jeff -
My dealer just called with the word that because of new production, he can get me a REF phono2 - brand new (with the trade of my PH7) for about 7+ grand. What do you think?

I'm not Jeff, but that sounds like a pretty good deal to me--especially if you have the shekels to make it happen! IIRC, the Reference Phono 2 retails for $12k.

Jeff -

What are PH7's going for used these days? Aren't they about $6000 new? If so, the PH7 and another $7k isn't a horrible deal...

How's the rest of your analog front end? What are you using for a table and cart again? Will you be able to take advantage of the 2nd phono input?

If not, you might even want to consider a nice used original REF phono. Still a big jump from the PH7 and lots of trade-in madness going on now. Typically, the original REF's have been going for right around 6k. If you could even get $4k for the PH7 that wouldn't be a bad trade up at all...

But that new REF should be pretty sweet. I get the feeling I might get swayed to buy the review sample myself!

FWIW -
I have an SME 10 tt with series V tonearm. Cart is Benz LPS. Installed cart just recently. Was able to trade a Koetsu Sky Blue for the Benz and got a really good deal. So far I really like the cart. (One question: though it's not broken-in yet, on very loud vocal passages there is a slightly glassy overlay on top of the vocals. Specifically occurs on a Linda Ronstadt album. Is it the album? The PH7? The non-broken-in cart? THD?)
Just to be a contrarian, I did a net search for other reviews of the REF 2phono. Valin likes it much better than the PH7, but likes the PH7 better than the orig phono ref. Tastes determine equipment preferences, but like human nature, they vary from individual to individual. I'll try to listen to the new Ref phono and decide from that point.
Thanks for the help.

You've definitely got the setup for it.

I am very anxious to hear the REF 2 in my system as well. I've heard it at a few friends houses and thought it was excellent.

I have spent a lot of time with the PH7 and still find it perhaps a little too neutral/sterile, whatever for my taste. The original REF has more weight, dynamics and a slightly warmer sound overall.

From what I've heard of the new REF 2 phono, it appears to be the best of both worlds, albeit more expensive.

I'd say give the Benz a little more time before you make a decision.

Back