Audio Perfectionist Journal

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I happened to discover this journal today on the internet. Anyone subscribe to it? I haven't read all of the free transcripts yet but it looks intriquing. It's supposed to be a totally unbiased audiophile magazine that is 100% reader supported with 0% advertisement support.

What I've read so far appears to be very useful and rare content, however a couple of articles seem to be rather basic. But like I said, I haven't gotten that far into it yet. I'm interested in further reading in this journal but since there is no audio manufacturer subsidies it is rather expensive. If the content is what I've been looking for then it may be worth it.

I do subscribe to a couple of audio rags but I'd rather read articles that help me get the most from my equipment. Most audio rags are nothing but ads and glowing review after glowing review of the latest gear I can't possibly afford. It's interesting but not really very helpful.

I do own "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio" 3rd Ed. and that's the best audiophile book I know of. If you've read some of these Audio Perfectionist Journals what was your assessment?

The Audio Perfectionist Journal

FWIW -

I had some extra money burning a hole in my paypal account so I ordered the current set. I'll report my findings when I get a chance to read these in detail.

He's the guy who wrote the infamous shredding job on the Wilson MAXX2. I'm not sure that he's totally unbiased, and it's clear that he has quite a number of axes to grind.

I suppose just like with most media, if one has the same biases as the author or publication (and don't we all have those), then one would find that publication useful.

Craig said:
By the way some of these Audio Perfectionist Journals are free.

Free Audio Journals

Hi Craig,

Had a look at the free journals - this guy spends a lot of time drum rolling and big noting without imparting a lot of information. The signal:noise ratio was not high.

I thought the most useful thing he pointed out was why would you want to replicate the often crappy sound of the local film theatre when you can do so much better. That is not news to many on this website. He struck me as the preaching intolerant type that audio seems to attract. No doubt a choir exists.

Kevin

The Audio Critic

Peter Aczel, a well-known "objectivist" audiophile, publishes "The Audio Critic", now a monthly e-zine. Unlike the Audio Perfectionist, a LIFETIME subscription runs only $12.95. I happen to agree with Aczels common-sense approach to audio, and at that price, it's the audio-deal-of-the-century!

http://theaudiocritic.com/

sleepysurf said:
Peter Aczel, a well-known "objectivist" audiophile, publishes "The Audio Critic", now a monthly e-zine. Unlike the Audio Perfectionist, a LIFETIME subscription runs only $12.95. I happen to agree with Aczels common-sense approach to audio, and at that price, it's the audio-deal-of-the-century!

http://theaudiocritic.com/
Sleepysurf, I agree with you. I have read into alot of Peter's thinking agree with most of it. That being said I still love my analog side of my system !!

I've heard that Aczel publishes 1 issue every 4 or 5 years. Maybe that's why a lifetime sub is so cheap?

aliveatfive said:
I've heard that Aczel publishes 1 issue every 4 or 5 years. Maybe that's why a lifetime sub is so cheap?
Au contraire! At age 80, he still frequently updates his "blog" format of The Audio Critic. The latest posting (April 13), entitled "Your Editor, Revealed", is actually a candid interview conducted by email, and edited, by a longtime (anonymous) subscriber of his publication(s). It offers a fascinating glimpse into Peter's youth in Hungary, his family subsequently fleeing to the U.S., his growing preoccupation with the early days of high-fidelity, and his decision to eventually walk away from a Madison Ave advertising position to publish The Audio Critic. Quite an enjoyable read. I certainly hope he continues penning his erudite reviews and opinions for a long time to come.

Re Aczel: Doesn't he take the position that all amps sound the same? What does he have to say about electrostatics? I somehow recall that he really shredded the high end.

About APJ: Here's what they say in most every issue. Theils and Vandersteens are great speakers. The rest of them image incorrectly. Planars are no good. Wilsons are no good either. Audio Research makes good components. Ayre makes good components. Aesthetix makes good components. Bat's components sound pretty good, but their preamps are questionable. SME makes good turntables as does Linn. VPI's tables are pretty good. I get the impression that they listen through their prejudices. But I wonder sometimes if we all do that!

aliveatfive said:
Re Aczel: Doesn't he take the position that all amps sound the same? What does he have to say about electrostatics? I somehow recall that he really shredded the high end.
Well, I can't obviously post the entire interview, but here's an excerpt of his comments about the Audiophile Market, and loudspeaker designs. To read more, you'll need to pony up $12.95 for his one-time subscription!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"I discern a distinct graying of the audiophile community. I think your 60-year old audiophile dentist still dreams about his next speaker system and is willing to spend money on it. The 20-year olds who used to build Dynakits are extinct. Between the computer and the iPod, their electronic thirst is quenched. The kind of music they favor doesn’t require very accurate reproduction, in any case. An altogether different trend, of course, is the home theater. When it comes to video with sound, I think the interest is at an all-time high.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Given what you describe, along with what you have written over the years, I guess we must conclude that the two most important people in hi-fi today are the recording engineer and the loudspeaker designer. As consumers, the former is really out of our reach. But, as you said, many audiophiles still think about their next set of speakers. At the same time, you’ve written that you’re a bit unenthusiastic when dealing with box speakers, yet this design remains most prevalent. I think I can speak for your subscribers in hoping that you have not “given up” reviewing more loudspeakers— even if they remain, to use your description, “monkey coffins.”[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I think ordinary forward-firing dynamic drivers with a passive crossover in a closed rectangular box are boring! I can guarantee that no transcendent sonic experience can possibly be delivered by such “monkey coffins.” Decent sound per dollar, at best. Powered loudspeakers with electronic crossovers and DSP correction are another matter. I’m looking forward to testing that type of equipment, as well as electrostatics, ribbons, and other unconventional transducers."[/font]

Sleepysurf -

I guess I should have consulted my audio memory. Didn't Aczel once recommend Bob Carver's "Amazing Loudspeakers?" If memory serves me correctly, these were fairly tall planar speakers that were reviewed favorably in several publications.

Yes, and in this interview he lists them as one of the top 4 most ground-breaking components changing the course of hi-fi.

I remember ogling them when I first saw and heard them, but by the time I could afford a pair they were already extinct. Instead (fortunately), I ended up getting the magnificent Apogee Stages, which hooked me on planar speaker designs ever since!

Back