Audio Choices ~ Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
So far in the process of my audio research / wanderings in the quest for the most appealing audio music only system, on paper and over the Internet anyway, I came up with the following audio combination systems. However, the only exception is I didn't include audio cables at this time. I am very interested in your ideas, comments and suggestions about these proposed systems. :)

Here goes...

Door #1:

Source: Esoteric X-03SE CD/SACD player
Preamp: Audio Research Reference 2 Mk II
Amplifiers: Pass Labs X600.5 - Two Mono-block amps.
Speakers: MBL 101E Radialstrahler Omnidirectional References

Price estimate for all used gear: $40,000.

Door #2:

Source: Cary Audio CD 306 SACD
Preamp: Cary Audio SLP05
Amplifiers: Butler Audio Monad A100 - Two Mono-block amps
Speakers: ML CLX with Descent or Summits

Price est. for all used gear (except ML's - new): $30,000.

Door #3:

Source: McIntosh MCD201
Amplifiers: McIntosh MC275 - Two Mono-block amps
Speakers: ML CLX with Descent or Summits

Price est. for all used gear (except ML's - new): $20,000.

Naturally, I will be auditioning all of the above before I make any decisions but what do you think?

:) Now for the photo's of all of the above...

Esoteric X-03...

Esoteric X-03.

Attachments

• TEAC Esoteric X-03.jpg
    TEAC Esoteric X-03.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 827
I'd have to hear the systems first.

I'm leaning towards the lowest cost system so that more can be spent on treating room acoustics and concert tickets. :)

Butler Monad Mono-Blocks.

Butler Audio's Monad A-100 Mono-Block amplifiers.

Attachments

• Butler 100 monoblock.jpg
    Butler 100 monoblock.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 877
Martin Logan CLX Speakers...

Martin Logan CLX speakers... :eek:

:eek: Sorry no Photo's as of yet...

Attachments

• Cross Eyed.jpg
    Cross Eyed.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 771
Regarding 1:
The MBL Radials are very odd but interesting speakers... regardless of how they sound, the cool thing is I think you need not toe those in. The Pass Labs are tried and true amps while the ARC Reference II is a well reviewed unit - similar to the ones Twich has. Another question you need to ask yourself is that if you get this one, it is difficult to assimilate into an HT system... though if this is purely for 2ch and you're keeping the Ascents as HT only, then I suppose that could work.

Regarding 2:
Obviously my heart goes out to the ML Summit and possibly the upcoming CLX. The Cary SP05, which my dealer just received for his personal system, got less than stellar reviews from said dealer.... however that may help you in your decision. The Butlers, I have no experience with.

Regarding 3:
Obviously the cheapest of the bunch... and I bet it still sounds very good.

I like Kach's reply !! maybe we sould settle on a Sony boombox and put the rest of the money towards travel to major cities around the world to take in various orchestral events, etc !!! Second thought......spend the money on the gear and go to your local high school and take in one their concert offerings !!

My vote goes to System 1 with the smaller MBLs.... leaving $ for some MLs..... then you can have different speakers for different moods!!!! :)

Back