Audio Choices ~ Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twich54 said:
I like Kach's reply !! maybe we sould settle on a Sony boombox and put the rest of the money towards travel to major cities around the world to take in various orchestral events, etc !!!
My wife would have it that way if I let her.:D

Robin said:
:) This is only the first phase so far...

Robin,

I'd like to see the second and the third phase. I'm waiting.

rtagle said:
Robin,

I'd like to see the second and the third phase. I'm waiting.

I'll second that. It has been my experience that when the first phase looks like this, the second and third phases are really, really, good. :D :D

Used ~ MBL 101E Radialstrahlers....

lugano said:
I'd take door 1 - but I don't think that you'll ever find used radialstrahlers :)
lugano,

I thought the same but then a pair became available on Audiogon for $23,000 (USD), they sold in about ten days. Their is a pair of MBL 101D's currently on Audiogon for $16,000. When I have the cash I'm confident my gear will eventually become available... ;) Hopefully... :)

Saving ~ Auditioning ~ Saving Some More...

Joey_V said:
I feel bad for your wallet, Robin..... or purse. :)
Joey,

Yes, my purse is gonna hurt for a while I suppose but I think I'll enjoy the thrill of the hunt, instead of being the prey. :p Plus from time to time I'll get to spend money on some very high-end audio gear, which I look forward to... :D

as far as tubed preamp's goes I am starting to think one of the very best tubed preamp is Audio Research Reference II and III, from what I've read, if I end-up going that way. Auditioning is going to be the key phase really... :)

Robin,

You have a nice problem indeed. Considering all the questions you've been asking about vinyl, in your place I'd go for Door 3, which would give you the requisite budget for a good analog setup and, equally important, good records. And...surprise...what you get is a brand new pair of Martin Logans!

Don't rule out the ModWright tube preamp, and the newer, smaller ARCs like the 17 and the 26, as well as conrad-johnson preamps.

Happy shopping!

Robin said:
Joey,

as far as tubed preamp's goes I am starting to think one of the very best tubed preamp is Audio Research Reference II and III, from what I've read, if I end-up going that way. Auditioning is going to be the key phase really... :)

Robin, long time ARC guy here, I've spent considerable time listening to both the Ref 2 and 3, both excellent pieces for sure although the "3' is otta my league $$$ wise. That being said with the introduction of the LS-26 earlier this year it has put the used price of the Ref 2 down a notch or two, reason being the LS-26 is noticeably closer to the Ref 3 than the "2". I suspect used prices for the Ref 2 will become even more favorable.

Reference 2 Mkii...

Dave,

I thought the prices of the Ref 2's were kinda low on Audiogon... It is interesting that their are no LS-26's for sale on Audiogon at this time, only LS-25's... ;) where as prices of the Ref 3's have remain high as you said... :)

Thanks for the insiders ARC prespective. :)

Robin said:
Dave,

It is interesting that their are no LS-26's for sale on Audiogon at this time, :)

The reason is ; 1) it's so new 2) it's that good 3) those of us who bought one have no reason to upgrade ............yet !!

The LS-26 Must Be A Very Special PreAmplifier...

twich54 said:
The reason is ; 1) it's so new 2) it's that good 3) those of us who bought one have no reason to upgrade ............yet !!
Dave,

The Audio Research LS-26 must be everything you have said it is and much more. :D I have got to find an audio store and audition one as well as the Ref II and III.... ;) I wonder if you have to bias the tubes inside very often or are they self biasing? :confused:

Robin said:
Dave,

The Audio Research LS-26 must be everything you have said it is and much more. :D I have got to find an audio store and audition one as well as the Ref II and III.... ;) I wonder if you have to bias the tubes inside very often or are they self biasing? :confused:
Robin -

Tubed preamps don't have to be biased by the user. I know of none in which this would have to be done. Power amps are another story.

My Newbieness Is Showing...

aliveatfive said:
Robin -

Tubed preamps don't have to be biased by the user. I know of none in which this would have to be done. Power amps are another story.
aliveatfive,

Thank you for clarifing this for me. :eek: I guess, I still have a lot to learn about tube preamps. This may sound silly but what-the-hey I'll share my ingorance a little further, I was reading a Stereophile review regarding the Audio Research Reference II Preamp, the reviewer told of putting on white cotten gloves to install the tubes for the preamp as part of un-packing and set-up of the preamp he was about to review... I did not know you needed to wear gloves (no hand oils touching the tubes) when installing tubes.

I learn something everyday that's what is so fun about our wonderful hobby... :D

Robin said:
Esoteric X-03.

I heard the X -03 at a demo of speakers last year and I have been haunted by the sound of it ever since. Earlier this year I went on a quest to duplicate (at least the character of) that sound at a reduced cost. After many experiments I hit upon a solution that I like as much...

Benchmark DAC1 and a used Theata Data basic. Total cost = $1400....try it, you may like it. Used Data basics pop up on eBay frequently. I paid $355 for mine. The Data Basic II is also another choice, but I prefer the CMD9 drive in the Data basic.

Last edited:
Interesting...

DrJRapp said:
I heard the X -03 at a demo of speakers last year and I have been haunted by the sound of it ever since. Earlier this year I went on a quest to duplicate (at least the character of) that sound at a reduced cost. After many experiments I hit upon a solution that I like as much...

Benchmark DAC1 and a used Theata Data basic. Total cost = $1400....try it, you may like it. Used Data basics pop up on eBay frequently. I paid $355 for mine. The Data Basic II is also another choice, but I prefer the CMD9 drive in the Data basic.
Jerry,

Thank you for the suggestion. :) I will check this out further... Your idea is an interesting alternative of another way to reach the same place of sound, I mean to say a similar sound. ;)

Thanks again.

Back