ATVX Discussion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a very busy schedule and don't have a lot of time at the moment for extensive comparison testing, but - and this isn't the comparison that you (the royal You) likely want - I have Top Gear Maverick on my Kaleidescape system as well as available through Amazon Prime, so I compared a couple scenes between Kaleidescape and the AppleTVX.

I am using the ATVX in 4K SDR. That's the developer's recommended method, and I happen to agree with it. My A90J is calibrated by D-Nice (user on the AVS Forum) who works with the retailer who sold me the TV. In SDR vs the HDR of the Kaleidescape version, I actually prefer the video from the ATVX. As for sound, the Kaleidescape soundtrack seems slightly fuller and better sorted for the non-front speakers, but only in complicated scenes.

For example, after the second set of planes delivered the second bombs of the mission, when all four planes were trying to avoid the SAM defenses, the sense of audio envelopment was better presented on the Kaleidescape system than the ATVX when the scene was wide-angle, showing multiple SAMs and multiple planes deploying flares. In less chaotic (audio) scenes, the difference was trivial. Perhaps there was slightly better sense of ambience and bass on the Kaleidescape soundtrack, but I'm talking about slight shades of difference.

Was the difference worth $10k+?

Probably not. If you have a $200k+ home theater system, it may be worthwhile. If your HT system is like mine - less than $50k - I'm going to say not to bother. If you're home theater is a small LCD and sound bar, even the ATVX isn't worth your money.

Next Sunday I have a friend coming over who wants to see this is person. Next Saturday, I'll make time to set up both the regular ATV and ATVX in my system so we can compare those two, but I have to say since the ATVX compared so favorably with Kaleidescape, I can't imagine it's remotely close between the two ATVs.

Last edited:
I've had a very busy schedule and don't have a lot of time at the moment for extensive comparison testing, but - and this isn't the comparison that you (the royal You) likely want - I have Top Gear Maverick on my Kaleidescape system as well as available through Amazon Prime, so I compared a couple scenes between Kaleidescape and the AppleTVX.

I am using the ATVX in 4K SDR. That's the developer's recommended method, and I happen to agree with it. My A90J is calibrated by D-Nice (user on the AVS Forum) who works with the retailer who sold me the TV. In SDR vs the HDR of the Kaleidescape version, I actually prefer the video from the ATVX. As for sound, the Kaleidescape soundtrack seems slightly fuller and better sorted for the non-front speakers, but only in complicated scenes.

For example, after the second set of planes delivered the second bombs of the mission, when all four planes were trying to avoid the SAM defenses, the sense of audio envelopment was better presented on the Kaleidescape system than the ATVX when the scene was wide-angle, showing multiple SAMs and multiple planes deploying flares. In less chaotic (audio) scenes, the difference was trivial. Perhaps there was slightly better sense of ambience and bass on the Kaleidescape soundtrack, but I'm talking about slight shades of difference.

Was the difference worth $10k+?

Probably not. If you have a $200k+ home theater system, it may be worthwhile. If your HT system is like mine - less than $50k - I'm going to say not to bother. If you're home theater is a small LCD and sound bar, even the ATVX isn't worth your money.

Next Sunday I have a friend coming over who wants to see this is person. Next Saturday, I'll make time to set up both the regular ATV and ATVX in my system so we can compare those two, but I have to say since the ATVX compared so favorably with Kaleidescape, I can't imagine it's remotely close between the two ATVs.
How does the cost of the Kaleidescope compare to the ATVX?

The "entry level" combo looks like it's around $8k today: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=kaleidescape

I have the 12TB server, but it looks like they've priced the 22TB server now around the same range as I paid for the 12TB. Paired with the player, that's around $13k.

The UI of the ATV is, in my opinion, vastly better than KScape. The "mode" of downloading videos is quite a bit more logical to me for KScape. You download the movie and store it locally for playback. (They have security responsibilities to the studios, hence you can't store the movies on anything *other* than their servers.) A full 4K HDR movie downloads in around 20 minutes for me, and once it's down you view it without any issues surrounding ISP buffering. Oh - and you can order it any time and start the download immediately via the phone app.

At $2,500 for the ATVX, it's a clear value winner over the KScape system.

Back