Attention Gamers: I'm looking for suggestions....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
There's been the ocasional talk of xbox, playstation and game cube on the forum. I'm not much of a gamer at this point in my life (not enough time), but my kids are slowly getting to the point where they will be (maybe for X-mas). Anyone have any suggestions as to which system is better, has the most games and is most likely not going to be replaced soon? I do know that the new PS is suppose to be blu-ray (sometime next spring i think) and that the xbox 360 is coming out, but I have no background in this. Any information would be helpful.

Well if you are going to go with something that is not going to be replaced anytime soon then your only option for Christmas is Xbox 360. The rumors so far are that only certain Xbox games will be compatible with Xbox 360. Since you do not have an Xbox this may not be a big issue. Xbox 360 can play DVD but cannot play any of the future HD formats. Micorsoft is trying to position the XBox as a media center that can stream media, do email, and browse the web from an internet connection or from your home computer. Xbox 360 has the best online infrastructure with Xbox live.

One reason that Sony has been so succesful with the PS2 is because it was backwards compatible with almost all PS games. That should continue with the PS3. Meaning that PS2 games should be able to be played on PS3. So you could buy a PS2 and games and upgrade later to a PS3 without fear os losing your investment in games. Plus the new form factor for the PS2 is just simply cool. Unfortunately Sony has not made an official announcement about backwards compatiblity so this whole senerio could change. BTW, PS2 is a crappy DVD player but it does get the job done. With the Xbox, to play a DVD requires the purchase of a special remote and IR receiver.

A few other things to remember. The PS3 will be the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market when it comes out. Both Xbox and PS brands tend to cater to young adults so many of games may not appropriate for children. The Gamecube really covers that terrirtory well and it does resemble a toy in size and colors. The icing on the cake is that it is only $99 and it is a powerful console. It will be replaced next holiday season by the Nintendo Revolution. If you are not interested in videogames that much and your primary concern is games for children then the Gamecude may give you the most bang for your buck. The Gamecube will NOT play DVDs.

Here is a breakdown:

PS2 - Relatively cheap, the most games of any system
Xbox - Same price as the PS2, slightly better graphics
Xbox 360 - Newest, baddest console, $299, Best online infrastructure
PS3 - Blu-Ray, may have slightly better graphics than the 360
Gamecube - Cheapest console, great games for children
Revolution - Will provide not only new games but you can download NEW and Super NES games.

socialxray said:
Well if you are going to go with something that is not going to be replaced anytime soon then your only option for Christmas is Xbox 360. The rumors so far are that only certain Xbox games will be compatible with Xbox 360. Since you do not have an Xbox this may not be a big issue. Xbox 360 can play DVD but cannot play any of the future HD formats. Micorsoft is trying to position the XBox as a media center that can stream media, do email, and browse the web from an internet connection or from your home computer. Xbox 360 has the best online infrastructure with Xbox live.

The list of compatible xbox game on the 360 was released yesterday and there are over 200 titles now and the list will be updated daily. Backwards compatibility will require that you download a patch for every xbox game you own. The Xbox has a single processor and Nvidia graphics chip wile the 360 has 3 processors and an ATI graphics chip, so each patch will tell the 360 how to play back a Xbox game. I should also say backwards compatibility requires the hard drive to work because you download the patches to the HD.

Getting a 360 could be easier said than done. Microsoft is releasing the 360 in three different territories at once, so supplies are going to be limited. I pre-ordered my system back in June, right now it is unknown if I will get it at the system launch on November 22 or even before Christmas. MS is only releasing part of their systems at launch and then the rest will be released each week up till Christmas, stores are guessing they will get 4 system each week up till Christmas.

One reason that Sony has been so succesful with the PS2 is because it was backwards compatible with almost all PS games. That should continue with the PS3. Meaning that PS2 games should be able to be played on PS3. So you could buy a PS2 and games and upgrade later to a PS3 without fear os losing your investment in games. Plus the new form factor for the PS2 is just simply cool. Unfortunately Sony has not made an official announcement about backwards compatiblity so this whole senerio could change. BTW, PS2 is a crappy DVD player but it does get the job done. With the Xbox, to play a DVD requires the purchase of a special remote and IR receiver.

The PS3 will be backwards compatible with PS1, 2, and 3 games. The announcement was made at E3’05. Plus it will have a Blu-Ray drive out of the box. The catch is the price of the system is estimated any ware from $500 to $800 dollars.

A few other things to remember. The PS3 will be the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market when it comes out. Both Xbox and PS brands tend to cater to young adults so many of games may not appropriate for children. The Gamecube really covers that terrirtory well and it does resemble a toy in size and colors. The icing on the cake is that it is only $99 and it is a powerful console. It will be replaced next holiday season by the Nintendo Revolution. If you are not interested in videogames that much and your primary concern is games for children then the Gamecude may give you the most bang for your buck. The Gamecube will NOT play DVDs.

The Gamecube is a grate system for kids, but Nintendo is coming out with a new system next year, the revolution, so any system you by now will only be supported for another year or so.

Last edited:
Saturday, November 12, 2005

New Sony lockware prevents selling or loaning of games
Sony has filed for a patent for a technology to tether a video-game to a console so that you can't sell it, loan it out, play it on a new console after your existing one is stolen or damaged, etc. Some speculate that this is intended for use with the PS3, but wherever it's deployed, it's very consistent with Sony's ongoing contempt for its customers. Once you've installed rootkits onto everyone's PCs, what's a little unfair trade practices aimed at killing the aftermarket?
The technology would allow an authentication code to be read and then rendered unreadable, making the software unplayable on any machine but the one which first read it.
DRM is often touted as "enabling business models" -- e.g., the business-model of charging you more money if you want a version of the DVD that you can watch in more than one household -- but here we have it being teed up to destroy the business model of anyone who makes a little bread selling old games.
This "new business model" business is really bogus. They take the media that today lets you do everything copyright permits -- timeshifting and quotation, format-shifting and backup -- and they take away all those things. Then they painfully dribble each of those rights back as a "feature" that you pay extra for.

Drip, drip, drip -- each drop of functionality painfully and expensively squeezed into your living room, every time you want to do something you used to do for free.

That's not a business-model. That's a urinary tract infection.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the new Nintendo system will suit my kids (and wallet) better right now. I'll probably hold off until next X-mas, let the little ankle-biters suffer for another year.

ZOINKS! PS3 for $500-$800 :eek: . My kids better start saving their pennies now, 'cause I'll upgrade my components before I ever shell out that much dough for a gaming system. Geesh whatever happend to the days of simple less costly stuff like...Pong?

Sugermedia:
I hear ya brother....Any time I turnover my hard earned cash to Sony or Microsoft, I feel a bit........violated.

Keeping the lines of communication open with "Halo 2"...

socialxray said:

Here is a breakdown:

PS2 - Relatively cheap, the most games of any system
Xbox - Same price as the PS2, slightly better graphics
Xbox 360 - Newest, baddest console, $299, Best online infrastructure
PS3 - Blu-Ray, may have slightly better graphics than the 360
Gamecube - Cheapest console, great games for children
Revolution - Will provide not only new games but you can download NEW and Super NES games.

socialxray,

My youngest son is totally into, XBox 360, and had ordered it months ago... :rolleyes:
XBox on-line seems very exciting, especially when my son plays Halo 2, with all of his friends and cousins. They have this big, 'Clan' and challenge other 'Clans', from other cities, states or countries. It is interesting. They are even able to talk with each, and catch-up with other, in between battles... :)

Thank you for all of the great infomation.

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
socialxray,

My youngest son is totally into, XBox 360, and had ordered it months ago... :rolleyes:
XBox on-line seems very exciting, especially when my son plays Halo 2, with all of his friends and cousins. They have this big, 'Clan' and challenge other 'Clans', from other cities, states or countries. It is interesting. They are even able to talk with each, and catch-up with other, in between battles... :)

Thank you for all of the great infomation.

Cheers

-Robin

O Just wait.

Xbox live allows gamers to play gamers across the world, and trash talk each other while doing it. Microsoft will be adding a small camera that will attach to the controller and allow you to see and talk to the person your playing on the 360.

Getting an Xbox 360 before Christmas will be thought even for those that pre-ordered it. Gamestop which now own Electronics boutique says it may be April by time they fill all there pre-orders, and all pre-orders will be filled before people can just walk in a buy one.

Last edited:
Robin said:
socialxray,

Hay Robin,

Did your son get his 360? I pre-ordered my system back in June and by September my local Gamestop was over 80 pre-orders and they only received 12 systems for the first shipment 2nd shipment is still MIA. I believe I was number 12 on the list. Quantities are tight.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back