ASCENTi vs. VISTA?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

logansrun

Hi everyone, I'm new and could use some help. A few years ago I fell in love with the Ascents and have been dreaming of getting them ever since. I now have permission to do so, but the new models are out. So here is my choice:

1. Brand new Vistas from an authorized dealer for $2,600 (the dealer loves me); OR
2. Used Ascent i for $2,500

I listened to the Vistas in a couple of places, and I can't help but think the Ascents sounded more full, with deeper tones on the voices in particular, which is what I like. But I haven't heard them in a few years and now nobody has them, so I cannot do a side by side comparison and am only relying on my memory.

What should I do? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

logansrun said:
Hi everyone, I'm new and could use some help. A few years ago I fell in love with the Ascents and have been dreaming of getting them ever since. I now have permission to do so, but the new models are out. So here is my choice:

1. Brand new Vistas from an authorized dealer for $2,600 (the dealer loves me); OR

I listened to the Vistas in a couple of places, and I can't help but think the Ascents sounded more full, with deeper tones on the voices in particular, which is what I like. But I haven't heard them in a few years and now nobody has them, so I cannot do a side by side comparison and am only relying on my memory.

Thanks!

What dealer?

Ascent i...

logansrun said:

Thanks!
logansrun,

Firstly, Welcome to the ML Club! :D
I have auditioned ML's new Vista's as well, of course it is up to you and your ears, but I did think the Ascent i's were better sounding, to my ears - all around than the Vista's. I agree the Ascent i's were fuller sounding as well as more spaceous sounding, a fuller sound stage if you will. :) Having said that, I do think the Vista's are excellent ML speakers...

Personally, IMHO I would recommend the used Ascent i. However the ultimate discission is up to your ears. ;)

HTH

You must buy what you think sounds best. Personally, I'd go for the Ascents - they are a higher model - the Vista is the replacement for the Aeon, a model lower than the Ascents. If there is one thing i've anecdotially noticed with 'logans, bigger panel = better sound - simple as that. If you go with the used Ascents, don't forget to factor in the cost of replacement panels - if they are one of the first models produced in 2000 or so, panel replacement might need to be done in the next 5 years or so, depending on how they have been maintained.

Last edited:
For some reason, I prefer the Vista...

Must be me.

Get what you think is best. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, a new Logan is better than used, in case you need warranty.

I would be considering the new Vista rather than the used ML's. I'm thinking warranty as well. I don't have a problem generally in buying used, but only if I know who has owned the stuff before. Did the previous owner look after them? If you could establish the credentials of the speakers, then the option of buying used becomes more compelling.

Lets face it, both loudspeakers will sound fanatstic when set up properly in the home with matching equipment. :)

Thanks for the comments so far. Does the differing crossover rate (280 vs. 450) make a difference? I use a sub for HT but not generally for music.

I like the way the Ascent looks and sounds, but I also don't want to pass up the newest technology if it will end up sounding as good or better after break-in.

I like the way the Ascent looks and sounds, but I also don't want to pass up the newest technology if it will end up sounding as good or better after break-in.

That will be up to your ears.

logansrun said:
Thanks for the comments so far. Does the differing crossover rate (280 vs. 450) make a difference? I use a sub for HT but not generally for music.

Crossover rate does make a difference - obviously you want the ESL operating over as much range as possible. That said, this one really does have to be up to your ears.......no one else can make the decision for you!

I just did the same less than a month ago and ended up buying a pair of used Ascent-i. Even with a crapy amp they sound better than the Vista.

The Vista properly burned in and set up should sound better than the Ascents. It is basically the Vantage without the built in woofer amp. It is an amazing speaker and an amazing steal for the price you're quoting.

my general impression is that the newer logans require warmer amps to sound good. i think they are more revealing and therefore more sensitive to the electronics you pair them with. i love the sound of the older logans, you're right, they have a heavier tone, richer midrange. i'm with the majority here and say go for the ascent, but be prepared to replace the panels. my aerius i panels went bad after 6 years in humid, dirty washington dc.

Latest posts

Back