Ascent speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruicch

Reaction score
I am a new member, living in Brussels Belgium. I have owned Martin Logan Ascent speakers for about 20 years but now have a problem on which I would like advice.
Both electrostatic panels have slipped down in their housing over the years, so much so that in the case of one of the speakers the three connecting wires have become detached.
To reconnect the red wire to the mylar membrane it seems that the metal stator panels have to be prized apart, something which I don't feel capable of doing. I'd be really grateful if someone could suggest a solution to this problem. It seems a shame to have to write off an expensive speaker just because the wires can't be reconnected. I attach a photo showing the problem.

IMG_0101.JPG

Not sure about reconnecting, but you should contact Martin Logan and tell them you need stat clips for your model. They gave me a set for free. Its just one metal clip per speaker. The clip stops the panel from sliding down with gravity. Here is the clip for Prodigy Speakers.

20200813_135518.jpg

Not sure about reconnecting, but you should contact Martin Logan and tell them you need stat clips for your model. They gave me a set for free. Its just one metal clip per speaker. The clip stops the panel from sliding down with gravity. Here is the clip for Prodigy Speakers.

View attachment 21253
I have a pair of Ascent i speakers with panels that are also slipping down. Is there a good guide somewhere for moving them back in place without removing the panel?

I have a pair of Ascent i speakers with panels that are also slipping down. Is there a good guide somewhere for moving them back in place without removing the panel?
Contact ML and they can send you a PDF that shows you how to apply the clips. You will have to pretty much loosen everything as if you are taking them out in order to move it. With my Prodigy speakers I had to at least.

Ask Roberto on here. He's very knowledgeable. I think he's a dealer.

Thanks! I'll do that. The speakers are still working with no issues, so I've been a little nervous to tinker with them without instructions.

Thanks! I'll do that. The speakers are still working with no issues, so I've been a little nervous to tinker with them without instructions.
Id not do a thing until you get the clips, otherwise you'll end up doing it 2x.

I moved mine up once but didn't know they had those clips. A few years later they had slid down a tad, so I called ML and got the clips. Had to redo it.

I have the exact same issue! I thought that I was a unicorn... One of the speakers in my pair of Ascents had that little one screw clip which was supposed to prevent the panel from slippage, but, alas, one screw (two screws are usually better than one, am I right?) acted as the pivot point for the clip rotation and the weight of the panel would cause rotation of the clip and if not monitored, the panel would continue to slip. After an extended vacation, I came back to find the panel having slipped to the floor with the three wires severed, as depicted above... when I saw that, my heart was in my stomach! I have no idea how to reconnect a wire to a polyester/mylar membrane. Can you send me a PDF of how to make the electrical reconnections? Are there concise instructions? with pictures? list of materials, tools etc...?

I have the exact same issue! I thought that I was a unicorn... One of the speakers in my pair of Ascents had that little one screw clip which was supposed to prevent the panel from slippage, but, alas, one screw (two screws are usually better than one, am I right?) acted as the pivot point for the clip rotation and the weight of the panel would cause rotation of the clip and if not monitored, the panel would continue to slip. After an extended vacation, I came back to find the panel having slipped to the floor with the three wires severed, as depicted above... when I saw that, my heart was in my stomach! I have no idea how to reconnect a wire to a polyester/mylar membrane. Can you send me a PDF of how to make the electrical reconnections? Are there concise instructions? with pictures? list of materials, tools etc...?
If nobody here can help, then contact Martin Logan. I think it is Ron Hayes at ML that can help you out if it is possible to fix that.

I contacted Martin Logan and they sent me instructions and pictures about how to reattach the wires. I felt this was beyond my do-it-yourself skills so I asked a hi-fi shop here in Brussels if they could repair my speaker. Their reply was that they would have to send the speaker to The Netherlands which would be prohibitively expensive. In the end I decided to order two new electrostatic panels which I hope will arrive one day. In the meantime I added steel brackets to both speakers to avoid the "sliding-down" problem in the future. If you would like me to send you a copy of the e-mail I received from Martin Logan you can contact me at [email protected].

I contacted Martin Logan and they sent me instructions and pictures about how to reattach the wires. I felt this was beyond my do-it-yourself skills so I asked a hi-fi shop here in Brussels if they could repair my speaker. Their reply was that they would have to send the speaker to The Netherlands which would be prohibitively expensive. In the end I decided to order two new electrostatic panels which I hope will arrive one day. In the meantime I added steel brackets to both speakers to avoid the "sliding-down" problem in the future. If you would like me to send you a copy of the e-mail I received from Martin Logan you can contact me at [email protected].
So you engineered your own brackets? Im not real fond of the ones ML gave me, but they seem to work ok. One set that I installed ended up slipping because I didnt get the screw through the hole on the bracket correctly. It was tricky for me, you can't see if the screw goes through the hole, you just have to go by feel. I put the set back in with my new panels a month ago or so. Im still scared that the panels might slip down again. I dont have a lot of confidence that I got the screw through the hole correctly. Getting the new panels on was hard for me. I had to drill some new holes because the holes in the wood frame didnt match up right with the holes in the plastic frame on the new panels.

I had the same issue. I took my speaker to the local speaker repair shop. They were able to resolder the connection. I bought the smallest L brackets I could find. I predrilled a very small hole in the MDF and attached the bracket under the panel on one side. That did the trick. I am amazed your repair person couldn't solder the wires back on. $1800 and 4 to 6 months to wait for repalcements is a long time. I eventually had to have my panels redone by Russ Knox. It took 5 months, but it was less than half the price of ML replacments. Good luck and happy listening

Yes, that was a typo by me. It is the Russ Knotts of Ohio. Master speaker guy!!! Very nice and informative as well.

Latest posts

Back