Ascent just died

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvdberge

Reaction score
My ascents just gave up; bass is still playing (but to loud) en the panel sounds terrible!!!!

I will call my dealer tomorrow, but I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced this.

Regards,
Maritn

mvdberge said:
My ascents just gave up; bass is still playing (but to loud) en the panel sounds terrible!!!!

I will call my dealer tomorrow, but I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced this.

Regards,
Maritn
Hola Martin...are both dead?...are the leds on at the speakers?...it looks like they are not getting any A.C. power...tell us more, could be your amp too, distorted at mids and highs...what kind of amp do you have?
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Martin...are both dead?...are the leds on at the speakers?...it looks like they are not getting any A.C. power...tell us more, could be your amp too, distorted at mids and highs...what kind of amp do you have?
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,

They are both dead unfortunately.
I use Meridian 505 mono's, 170w, and have done so for years.
It's not the amps, I tried it with a spare amp and it doesn't change anything. Center and rears are still fine.

There is sound coming from the panels, but it sounds terrible. If I increase the volume the speaker even starts to break up.

Just cheking the leds.... there off, but power is plugged in!.

Do you know what caused this? And how to fix it?

Regards,

Martin

mvdberge said:
Hi Roberto,

They are both dead unfortunately.
I use Meridian 505 mono's, 170w, and have done so for years.
It's not the amps, I tried it with a spare amp and it doesn't change anything. Center and rears are still fine.

There is sound coming from the panels, but it sounds terrible. If I increase the volume the speaker even starts to break up.

Just cheking the leds.... there off, but power is plugged in!.

Do you know what caused this? And how to fix it?

Regards,

Martin
Martin, they are not getting any AC, so the panels are not working...you have to check the power A.C., check if in that side of the wall you have main a.c. with the help of a lamp...if you do, then re-plugg the speaker´s connectors or check the breakers of the house...it is a power a.c. problem...
hope this can help,
R.

2 speaker panels going dead at the exact same time indicates a lack of power to both speakers.
If both your leds are not lit then that is a definite indication there is no power. Just because they are plugged in is not a guarantee they are getting power from the cords. Do you have a light switch that controls a wall outlet? Plug something else into the power source and see if there is any power.

Craig said:
2 speaker panels going dead at the exact same time indicates a lack of power to both speakers.
If both your leds are not lit then that is a definite indication there is no power. Just because they are plugged in is not a guarantee they are getting power from the cords. Do you have a light switch that controls a wall outlet? Plug something else into the power source and see if there is any power.
This is exactly what I was saying but with better words...check the mains A.C. breaker of the house. It is not right that both speakers are bad at the same time.
Roberto.

roberto said:
This is exactly what I was saying but with better words...check the mains A.C. breaker of the house. It is not right that both speakers are bad at the same time.
Roberto.

The power cords are hot, there is nothing wrong there.
For some reason both speakers blew at the same time, and I can't seem to find a fuse in the Ascent.

mvdberge said:
The power cords are hot, there is nothing wrong there.
For some reason both speakers blew at the same time, and I can't seem to find a fuse in the Ascent.

Sure the A.C. connectors at the speakers are also all the way inn, right?
do you have spare fuses? they are .5A 3AG...you have to take apart the woofers, because the high voltage power supply is attached at the back of the speaker´s cabinet. If you try to take off the back of your Ascent, the best way to do it is first, remove the woofers, because due to the paint, the back is somethimes sticked or glued to the speaker´s cabinet and it is very difficult to remove it. With help of a wedge and a soft mallet, you can pry to get loose the back of the cabinet. If you want, I can guide you to do it with no problem...it is not right what happened to you, both at the same time.
Roberto.

roberto said:
Sure the A.C. connectors at the speakers are also all the way inn, right?
do you have spare fuses? they are .5A 3AG...you have to take apart the woofers, because the high voltage power supply is attached at the back of the speaker´s cabinet. If you try to take off the back of your Ascent, the best way to do it is first, remove the woofers, because due to the paint, the back is somethimes sticked or glued to the speaker´s cabinet and it is very difficult to remove it. With help of a wedge and a soft mallet, you can pry to get loose the back of the cabinet. If you want, I can guide you to do it with no problem...it is not right what happened to you, both at the same time.
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,

I will contact the dealer and ask them to do this for me, I don't want to take the risk to break anything.

Thanks for your help so far, I will let you know how this ends.

Regards,

Martin

mvdberge said:
Hi Roberto,

I will contact the dealer and ask them to do this for me, I don't want to take the risk to break anything.

Thanks for your help so far, I will let you know how this ends.

Regards,

Martin
O.K. Martin...still think it is a minor problem regarding the main A.C. It is not right that both at the same time have a problem...and also the LED are not on, this tells me that they are not catching any mains A.C. Hope this can help...
Roberto.

Surge?

Just a question - do you have any mains surge protection for your speakers??

If not, it's possible that you've had a power surge that's either blown some fuses, or worse actually damaged the power boards inside the MLs.

Cheers,

David

The dealer was not succesfull locating the fuses, so the search continues.

In the mean time they have loaned me a pair of ascents :)
So I am happy for now and I will update this thread when there is any news.

Regards,
Martin

Both speakers CAN go at the same time

Happened to my old Aeons during a party. They were getting quite a workout. Perhaps there was some transient in the home-made CD that called for a lot of current from the amp, and they both blew. Nothing much beyond the woofers working. I spoke with Martin Logan, and after checking my serial numbers, Jim said that my speakers were unfortunately outfitted with transformers from a manufacturer that they were less than happy with and had stopped using. I shipped the back boards to them and they fixed them free of charge and returned them to me right away. Probably a rare phenomenon to have both go out at once, but it can happen. Also a common example of great ML service.

mvdberge said:
The dealer was not succesfull locating the fuses, so the search continues.

In the mean time they have loaned me a pair of ascents :)
So I am happy for now and I will update this thread when there is any news.

Regards,
Martin
1) Disconnect them from the Main A.C. cable and speakers cables.
2) Lay down on it´s back, putting a cushion under the speaker´s connector.
3) With the help of a rubber mallet, hit at the top of the panel wooden rails, they will come loose with about 1" or so.
4) Remove the stat panels and watch the wires color code for re-install.
5) remove the woofer at the front and disconnect it from the wires. Watch the colors for the re-install.
6)take all the foam or white wool inside the the speaker cabinet.
Now you can see at the back´s bottom all the circuitry and the printed circuit board. This circuit board has the fuse-...check it and if they are blown, change and reverse the procedure. This will take about 30 minutes of job...
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Both of mine are down as well no sound at all.
I opened mine up and cannot find any fuse on the board.
Where is this fuse located?
Is it perhaps hidden in the grey connectors on the board that connect the leads to the board?
They are large for connectors.
Thanks for any help at all.

I have Ascents. I'm not sure where the fuse is, but just wanted to mention that you can remove the rear panel. It's just screwed on. The circuit board is attached to it and it's easy to see everything when you take it off. Obviously be aware of the wires connected to it, though as I recall they are not soldered so you could disconnect them.

Yes Thanks
I have been inside.
Definately no fuse I can see anywhere which strikes me as very unusual.
An elecrical device from the modern age without a fuse or any protection I can see?
Strange.
It's much easier to access via the back panel...not sure why some would advise going in from the woofer side?
One side the red light remains on.
I am going to start a fresh thread for this issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back