Ascent i's with Denon 4806

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taz

Looking for thoughts I have a Denon 4806 it says 6 or 8 ohm speakers. I would like to upgrade my Claritys to Ascents i's will my Denon drive these well or would I have to get a amp which I really do not want to do now.

It will drive them but not well. Too much current needed that your receiver cannot supply. Plan on buying a good two channel amp to drive them and use the receiver for the remaining channels. :)

attyonline said:
It will drive them but not well. Too much current needed that your receiver cannot supply. Plan on buying a good two channel amp to drive them and use the receiver for the remaining channels. :)
I agreee completely. Depending upon your budget, you can get a new (or used) high current capable amp, and keep using your Denon as a pre/pro, until the upgrade urge strikes again (and it will!)

Some here will suggest tubes, others SS. If possible, try to audition with your system before buying. And never underestimate the effect room acoustics will have on your overall sound. Can do a lot of tweaking there as well.

Your Denon will drive both the Claritys and the Ascent i's. I previously used a Denon 2802 in with both sets of speakers. However, as suggested in the previous responses, I upgraged to an Anthem AMP-2 SE and used the Denon as the pre/pro with superior results. Everything sound fine at low levels with the Denon, but once you started pushing the volume, the Denon just didn't have the headroom to supply the necessary current. As with all things audio, the cleaner and more powerful usually wins.

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to give it a try, looking for a mint pair now.

Latest posts

Back