Ascent i vs ReQuest

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakham

Reaction score
I was wondering what the general consensus was concerning these two speakers?

I have read great things about an Ascent/Descent combo. They are the successor to the SL3. The ReQuest panels are huge which leads me to believe you need a big room for them. I have been meaning to audition both of them, but haven't gotten the chance yet.

No worries folks....

I did some serious digging and found some info....

Ascent i
- better integratation
- Gen 2 panel - newer technology
- easier to place (1-2 ft away from wall is good)
- lower placed panel - Jim Powers states they lowered panels in the MLs on purpose and they sound better.

ReQuest
- bigger soundstage
- bigger woofer (12" vs 10" on Ascent)
- need more space (4 feet from wall)
- better midrange

The ReQuest has a crossover at 180Hz while the Ascent has it at 280Hz. I'm unsure how that affects things.

Pricewise they are close on the used market. Based on my setup and needs, I'm leaning towards the Ascent i.

I have auditioned both....Request is better for dynamics and IMHO the lower the woofer crossover the better...I don"t like male voices coming from the floor level but the top end is better on the narrower panel.

Although this may not be the answer anyone wants to hear, one should always consider the age of their speakers. The Ascent i is going to be at least 5 years younger.....and panel life and condition is half the game. You really can't just decide on one speaker or the other.....at least not when buying used.

For what it's worth, my buddy had Requests and I have Ascent i's....personally I prefer the Ascent i's, regardless of panel age.

As a basis point for your purchase, I picked up my cherry ascent i's last year for $1,600. They were in excellent condition, all paperwork, even the original invoice, but no boxes.

Hello,
Due to the expense of repaneling, I would go with the Ascent i. Also, with the Ascent i being a more recent model, there are some technical advancements.
Cheers,
ML

Hello,
Due to the expense of repaneling, I would go with the Ascent i. Also, with the Ascent i being a more recent model, there are some technical advancements.
Cheers,
ML

Yes but the Requests/Quests are so very beautiful. I think that they, the CLS and CLX are only ML speakers I want to put in my room. I haven't heard the Ascent i but if it is comparable in price, etc. it may be a better speaker.

I have auditioned both....Request is better for dynamics and IMHO the lower the woofer crossover the better...I don"t like male voices coming from the floor level but the top end is better on the narrower panel.

What's interesting though is all the new line of speakers (vista, vantage, spire, summit) crossover higher as well.

Not to make this an old generation vs new, but there must be a difference.

What's interesting though is all the new line of speakers (vista, vantage, spire, summit) crossover higher as well.

Not to make this an old generation vs new, but there must be a difference.

There should be a relatively inexpensive way to improve the crossovers of the older models.

Latest posts

Back