Ascent i Placement Problems!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

logansrun

OK, I fell in love with Ascent speakers a few years ago and now, finally got a pair (I preferred them to the new models and got a good deal).

The problem is that I got them despite a room setup that makes it impossible for me to move them more than 7-10 inches from the front wall (girlfriend issues).

Any ideas other than seeling them to reduce the brightness and imaging problems? Would room treatments solve the problem or should I give up?

Thanks!

logansrun said:
OK, I fell in love with Ascent speakers a few years ago and now, finally got a pair (I preferred them to the new models and got a good deal).

The problem is that I got them despite a room setup that makes it impossible for me to move them more than 7-10 inches from the front wall (girlfriend issues).

Any ideas other than seeling them to reduce the brightness and imaging problems? Would room treatments solve the problem or should I give up?

Thanks!

How about some castors. Move them out when she's not home. Slide them back later.

Do not give up!
I would try some room treatments. Some of them have a decent WAF to them. I would try the "bath towel" method first and put them near the first wave reflection on the side wall and see how that sounds. Also look at the wall behind and the rear wall of the room.

Jeff :cool:

Thanks, I will try some towels first. Is there a good web site/post that describes different placements for dampening when speakers need ot be close to the front wall?

I am sure there are a few but off hand I can not remember. I would approach it by taking half the width of the panel and possibly triple that number. Then on approximately the center of the panel go out about that far to the wall and this is where I would put the towel. These are not hard and fast numbers but a shot but I think you will understand the idea.

Behind the panels is obvious. As far as the back wall, this should be where you sit, aka "the sweet spot".

Understand every room is different and there are many factors to consider but this is where the fun starts. Nothing is an absolute just create a starting point as a reference and go from there. THe best part so far is the towels you already have. Just use some thumb tacks to attach to the wall. :D

Most of all, have fun and be patient. :D:D

So WAF is the only obstacle to your sound quality issues?

1: The creep method - move the speakers 1 or 2 cm MAX every day - within a month they'll be out in the middle of the room and she won't have noticed!

2: Wait 'till she wants something, then say "OK", "if I can have what I want".

Good luck!

logansrun said:

Thanks!
Yeah, tell your girlfriend that you will position the speakers where they sound best in the room and if she doesn't like it she can take a hike. Otherwise, she will be controlling you for the rest of your life. It's time to be a man and take control. If she cares for you, she will understand. Otherwise she is just using you by putting her needs first. There is a stupid term in audio called the wife acceptance factor as it relates to equipment. It ought to apply just to the women themselves. My wife has learned to accept my choices in audio and other things. I refuse to be Pussi whipped. Stand up and BE A MAN!

Rik_Rankin said:
Yeah, tell your girlfriend that you will position the speakers where they sound best in the room and if she doesn't like it she can take a hike. Otherwise, she will be controlling you for the rest of your life. It's time to be a man and take control. If she cares for you, she will understand. Otherwise she is just using you by putting her needs first. There is a stupid term in audio called the wife acceptance factor as it relates to equipment. It ought to apply just to the women themselves. My wife has learned to accept my choices in audio and other things. I refuse to be Pussi whipped. Stand up and BE A MAN!

This is a bit harsh and a dangerous statement to make. Obviously you either have an exceptional wife who shares your passion for equipment and music or there has never been a situaltion where the shoe was on the other foot. A relationship is about many things of which compromise, positioning and communication are an integral part. :D

Well, I came here for some helpful advice from a group of Martin Logan owners after dreaming of this purchase for 5 years, lurking around this site reading and learning for about that long, and finally making my dream a reality. To give you some context, these speakers are replacing AR-2ax speakers I have had my entire listening life (my Dad bought them in 1968), so it was not a purchase I took lightly.

Thanks to those who have offered some helpful advice - I will try it.

As for the others, if this is the kind of response you give newcomers (personal attacks) to your ML "family," it is no wonder that everyone has B&W speakers instead.

Jeff Zaret said:
This is a bit harsh and a dangerous statement to make. Obviously you either have an exceptional wife who shares your passion for equipment and music or there has never been a situaltion where the shoe was on the other foot. A relationship is about many things of which compromise, positioning and communication are an integral part. :D

Any woman who would make a big deal about some speakers being pulled out a few feet into the room will most likly be inflexible to begin with and probably pretty selfish. I make ALL of the final decisions when it comes to ANYTHING electronic in the house. My wife decides on on furniture, decor, etc with some imput from me. I don't care about those things. This arrangement works for us. One person, man or woman cannot control the entire house. The speakers belong to him. I stand by my statement! :D

logansrun said:
Well, I came here for some helpful advice from a group of Martin Logan owners after dreaming of this purchase for 5 years, lurking around this site reading and learning for about that long, and finally making my dream a reality. To give you some context, these speakers are replacing AR-2ax speakers I have had my entire listening life (my Dad bought them in 1968), so it was not a purchase I took lightly.

Thanks to those who have offered some helpful advice - I will try it.

As for the others, if this is the kind of response you give newcomers (personal attacks) to your ML "family," it is no wonder that everyone has B&W speakers instead.
You got fantastic speakers. You should be able to enjoy them in your way. Later on down the road, you will remember my advice; I PROMISE!

logansrun said:
Just ignore the low-life here by skipping their posts and reading the posts from people who offer constructive and informative advice.

Rik_Rankin said:

So, I see the "kinder, gentler Rik Rankin" lasted, oh, about a week or two. If you can't make a positive comment, why post at all? You could still get your opinions across without offending and alienating people. But then, I guess offending and alienating people is your only real purpose for posting on this site to begin with.

logansrun said:

Thanks!

Logansrun,

I think room treatments could be of tremendous assistance in your situation. What is your current room setup like? Do you have carpets or rugs on the floor? Do you have hard wall surfaces that can be softened with bookcases or acoustic dampening devices? Search this site for lots of info. on various methods to dampen room acoustics. Also, you might consider playing with the tilt of your speaker panels.

What is your setup like? Perhaps an equipment upgrade like a tube preamp would help. These are just a few suggestions to consider. The Ascents are great speakers and if you are willing to work to get the sound out of them that they are capable of, you won't be disappointed.

Rich said:
Logansrun,

I think room treatments could be of tremendous assistance in your situation. What is your current room setup like? Do you have carpets or rugs on the floor? Do you have hard wall surfaces that can be softened with bookcases or acoustic dampening devices? Search this site for lots of info. on various methods to dampen room acoustics. Also, you might consider playing with the tilt of your speaker panels.

What is your setup like? Perhaps an equipment upgrade like a tube preamp would help. These are just a few suggestions to consider. The Ascents are great speakers and if you are willing to work to get the sound out of them that they are capable of, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks. The room is the main room of a one bedroom apartment and the listening area is basically 16' wide and only about 12' deep. The speakers are on either side of a 55" rear projection TV so about 8' apart, and the listening position is about 8' from the front of the speakers.

the room is carpeted. the left wall has two windows, the right opens up into a dining area and then kitchen. the wall behind the TV and speakers is just a painted apartment wall (wood, not cement) with no treatments, but the room itself does have some bookcases, couches, and wall hangings.

I am using a Rotel receiver as the processor/pre-amp but two McIntosh amplifiers to power the Ascents and my Cinema center channel (the Cinema is on top of the TV and sounds less bright than the Ascents)

(incidentally some of this info is included in my new signature. The signature is incomplete because I forget the model numbers of my CD and DVD player so please don't make fun that I list a cassette deck as my only source!)

Rich said:
I think room treatments could be of tremendous assistance in your situation.
I agree...I have been meaning to reply to Logan...But room treatments really helped out my listening room. I treated behind the speakers, 1st reflection point and behind the seating position using Auralex products. I was not sure how it would help and bought some products for my own Xmas present and was pleasently surprised at the improvement in sound.

Logansrun...where are you located?

Thanks,
Dan

DTB300 said:
Just ignore the low-life here by skipping their posts and reading the posts from people who offer constructive and informative advice.
Low Life? I gave him the best advice possible; i.e., not to let his girlfriend control him and you think I'm a low life? Why don't you go back and read all of my posts before you declare that my contribution has no value here. I find your assessment of me to be idiotic and inane

Last edited:
Rich said:
So, I see the "kinder, gentler Rik Rankin" lasted, oh, about a week or two. If you can't make a positive comment, why post at all? You could still get your opinions across without offending and alienating people. But then, I guess offending and alienating people is your only real purpose for posting on this site to begin with.
Go back and read all of my posts before you make a stupid statement like that. I DID make a positive comment. I don't think a man should be a wimp in his own house. If you want a woman to control you that's your business; my opinion doesn't make it wrong. I'll put my speakers anyplace I choice and my wife will pick out any sofa she wants. It's called compromise. I've had some experience with some of those nasty controlling southern belles. Maybe that's what you are used to living in "lovely" Huntsville 'bama.

Rik_Rankin said:
I'll put my speakers anyplace I choice.
While you are putting your speakers anywhere you "choice," why don't you please also "choice" to keep your relationship advice to yourself or, in the alternative, post it on another one of your favorite sites -- perhaps www.knowitalls.com or www.justshutit.net.

I am trying to solve an electronics problem, not visit with Dr. Phil.

Thanks.

logansrun said:
While you are putting your speakers anywhere you "choice," why don't you please also "choice" to keep your relationship advice to yourself or, in the alternative, post it on another one of your favorite sites -- perhaps www.knowitalls.com or www.justshutit.net.

I am trying to solve an electronics problem, not visit with Dr. Phil.

Thanks.
Then you better get a speaker that is designed to go against the wall. I find it pathetic that a man can't place his speakers where he choices in his own house. Men are becoming wimps led by controlling feminazis in this country. Truly pathetic!

Latest posts

Back