Ascent i bass response

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Desert Rat

Just purchased ascent i. Using bryston processor and lexicon amp. If i turn off the depth subwoofer, bass response is poor. Woofer is firing , and wiring is correct. any suggestions? Bass set to 0 db on speaker.

Move around the room to see if the bass output increases when you are in a different location. It could be that your listening position is in a null. Also it could be that you are so used to the Depth that when it is off the Ascent sounds lacking in bass. Try to live with the Ascent with out the Depth for a couple of days and see if your perception about the lack of bass changes.

Desert Rat said:
Just purchased ascent i. Using bryston processor and lexicon amp. If i turn off the depth subwoofer, bass response is poor. Woofer is firing , and wiring is correct. any suggestions? Bass set to 0 db on speaker.

on your bryston set your sub to none. setting it to 0db sets the level in relation to the other speakers, signal is still going to the sub, particularily if you have the fronts set to "small"

i have the SP1.7 from bryston, if you have the SP1, some of these instructions might be slightly off :)

on the front panel press < or > or SEL to enter the menus
choose SP to enter the speaker menu
choose SB to enter the sub menu
choose NONE (or NO, i can't remember which it is)
press SEL

you should end up back in the speaker menu

choose LR to enter the left/right menu
choose LARGE
press SEL

note that you have to do this for every input. each input saves a different speaker setup. For example, i have the sub turned on for TV/VCR/LaserDisc/DVD but turned off for CD/vinyl/reels

another thing that you may with to try, if you are feeding analog from your source, is to turn on the 2 channel bypass and run 2 channel analog through the processor. I use that for vinyl and reels.

i'm getting a new chip from Bryston this week that has a few upgrades including better bass management. if you want, i'll let you know how that turns out.

let us know how it goes.

time to break in

I had the same concern when I just installed for the first time my new ascent four year's ago.

The bass drive make a lot of time to break in. Mine took nearly three months to be fully opened. ( running 1 to 2 hour's a day ).
So after the break in time, the bass of the Ascent are somewhat " Abyssal".
I know have to set the bass switch on -3db.

So be a little patient and come back on this issue one or two month later.
I'm sure you won't de disappointed by this.

Jean-Marie

Back