Are Tweeter and ML parting ways?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave Dahl

I have been hearing from a trusted source that ML has quietly dropped Tweeter and is no longer shipping new product to them. I can understand this from a business standpoint and am wondering if anyone out there had heard the same?

-Dave

Tweeter Stores

I understand that Tweeter is closing sereral stores and that Martin Logans are being closed out. The rumor was that some Best Buy stores were going to carry some of the Martin Logan line.

SPEAKERNUT said:
I understand that Tweeter is closing sereral stores and that Martin Logans are being closed out. The rumor was that some Best Buy stores were going to carry some of the Martin Logan line.
Best Buy? Yeah i can see going to one of those kids and asking to demo a Descent or a Summit.

Last edited:
I prevented a dumb kid who wandered into a high-end store from using an ink pen to poke holes in the mylar. He told me the salesman said it was okay, and that they would still play fine with holes in the Mylar - he just wanted to check it out.

Do it and I'll hurt you, I said...................made serious eye contact, he left the store. The salesman came up to me and asked what happened. I told him the story - he said next time just come and get me, that kid has been in here causing trouble before.

A demo pair of M/L's at Best Buy.................the holes are free.

So it's true then, Tweeters and it's Affiliates will no longer carry Martin Logan’s.

My local Best Buy/Magnolia Hifi told me when they first opened the store would not be carrying Martin Logan’s, only a few of the hi moneymaker stores would carry Martin Logan’s. As of two months ago they now have frescos, grotto, and clarity’s. I don’t think my Best Buy/Magnolia will be carrying any thing more in the line, but if I ask nicely they might be able to order the summits for me. So I guess I lost my source for Martin Logan’s but a gained another.

Joe

Bad news kiddies, I looked up my Best buy/Magnolia HiFi on MartinLogan.com "dealers search" and found out they are a “Design Series Dealer” which means they are only authorized the sell the Clarity, Depth, Descent, Fresco, Grotto, Montage, Mosaic. Doesn’t look like a pair of summits are in my future. :mad:

Zip3kx07 said:
Bad news kiddies, I looked up my Best buy/Magnolia HiFi on MartinLogan.com "dealers search" and found out they are a “Design Series Dealer” which means they are only authorized the sell the Clarity, Depth, Descent, Fresco, Grotto, Montage, Mosaic. Doesn’t look like a pair of summits are in my future. :mad:

Magnolia HiFi in San Jose, CA has a Summit demo set-up

Can it be????

chris03053 said:
Best Buy? Yeah i can see going to one of those kids and asking to demo a Descent or a Summit.

The kid at my local Best Buy store insisted that if there was a better speaker cable than Monster, they would carry it! I bit my tongue and walked away.

I know I am new here but this sure sounds familiar to what Polk Audio did about 20 years ago. Quality went out the door as more money came in. I hope ML is not traveling that same path as this sure looks like a first step in that direction.

:( :confused: :eek:

My local Best buy carry's Monster Cable and the Magnolia HiFi inside the Best Buy Carry's Audioquest.

There's logic.

Joe

Hello from a Tweeter employee!

To quell the rumor....

Martin Logan and Tweeter are definitely not parting ways.

As a Martin Logan owner myself, I'd be devastated (or at least heart broken.) if that ever happened.

Tweeter will carry Clarity's through the Summits for towers, Frescos and Vignettes for on-walls, and Passages and Voyages for in walls. We'll also carry the full line of subs.

Best Buy stores with a Magnolia section will carry the Clarity's, Mosaics and Montages.

imsteve said:
To quell the rumor....

Martin Logan and Tweeter are definitely not parting ways.

As a Martin Logan owner myself, I'd be devastated (or at least heart broken.) if that ever happened.

Tweeter will carry Clarity's through the Summits for towers, Frescos and Vignettes for on-walls, and Passages and Voyages for in walls. We'll also carry the full line of subs.

Best Buy stores with a Magnolia section will carry the Clarity's, Mosaics and Montages.

Is this something new? "Tascam" mentioned getting the Ascents he bought/returned from Tweeter also. I thought I had seen previously that Tweeter was listed as a "Design" dealer (at least the ones in my area are), which according to ML can sell "Clarity, Depth, Descent, Fresco, Grotto, Montage, and Mosaic". Neither Ascent nor Summit are included (nor Statements :)). Does this vary by region, or does the whole chain carry higher-end ML than indicated?

Tweeter dealer designation

SteveInNC said:
Is this something new? "Tascam" mentioned getting the Ascents he bought/returned from Tweeter also. I thought I had seen previously that Tweeter was listed as a "Design" dealer (at least the ones in my area are), which according to ML can sell "Clarity, Depth, Descent, Fresco, Grotto, Montage, and Mosaic". Neither Ascent nor Summit are included (nor Statements :)). Does this vary by region, or does the whole chain carry higher-end ML than indicated?

Hey Steve,

My understanding was that all Tweeter locations were "Full Line" dealers. I work in CA and all the stores in the Western Region carry the full line up (minus Statements, of course.)

I did check the Martin Logan website, and you're right- most of the North Carolina dealers are listed as "Design Series" delaers. I'll check into it today.

2 years ago I listened to a pair of Ascents at a Tweeter store in King of Prussia (just outside of Philly). I think I saw them in a Tweeter near Princeton NJ too.

imsteve said:
Hey Steve,

My understanding was that all Tweeter locations were "Full Line" dealers. I work in CA and all the stores in the Western Region carry the full line up (minus Statements, of course.)

I did check the Martin Logan website, and you're right- most of the North Carolina dealers are listed as "Design Series" delaers. I'll check into it today.

It could be a non-compete thing. The Tweeters in this area are the result of a buy-out of the Now Audio Video chain a few years back. Also Audio Advice who are a full line dealer have been in this area for a couple of decades, and may have an exclusive contract.

I am curious as to why Tweeter.com doesn't list ML as a brand.

Last edited:
SteveInNC said:
It could be a non-compete thing. The Tweeters in this area are the result of a buy-out of the Now Audio Video chain a few years back. Also Audio Advice who are a full line dealer have been in this area for a couple of decades, and may have an exclusive contract.

I am curious as to why Tweeter.com doesn't list ML as a brand.

My guess would be because they can’t sell them on the net. If you look at floor standing speakers on tweeter.com you will find the Clarity on there as retail sale only.

Zip3kx07 said:
My guess would be because they can’t sell them on the net. If you look at floor standing speakers on tweeter.com you will find the Clarity on there as retail sale only.

Now this is where it gets interesting... it *is* possible for web servers to make a pretty good guess as to where your IP address is located geographically. It makes me wonder if we get served different pages depending on where we are.

When *I* look at Tweeter.com, and select Home Audio, Floorstanding Speakers, the only thing I see is Yamaha and Polk Audio. Here is the exact URL I get when selecting through those menu items: Here

What do you see on that page?

Here in Idaho (where there is no Tweeter stores, only BestBuy), if you go to Tweeter.com and negotiate to home floor standing speakers, I do not see any ML listed, just Polk and Yamaha, interesting.

Charles

Oddly enough, a patient of mine today was affiliated with Tweeter and I asked him what the deal was.

His response was to the lines of:

"We all (even those of us that work at Tweeter) heard rumors that Tweeter was going to stop carrying Martin Logans. This was because Magnolia Hi-Fi was coming into the area and we didn't want their direct competition. This rumor is false - we will still be carrying them."

I also learned that they stock Krell's at Tweeter - I didn't know this :)

-D

Back