ARC Sold!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Adcom was just acquired by Emerson! Clearly, the trend in high-end, and mid-fi, is consolidation of many brands under one parent corporation. Obviously there are significant cost-savings/economies of scale to be gained in all aspects of design, manufacturing, distribution, human resources, etc. I fear that in many instances, the "brand" is being bought for marketing purposes, but the "product" will never be the same. Time will tell whether quality suffers in the long run.

Spike, As was the case with the M/L takeover a couple of years back....we can only hope that they don't screw up what I believe is one of the best pedigree's in audio. I have been a deciple of William Zane Johnson for twenty years now and i trust he is leaving his ship in good hands as Gayle has left his.

I worry about quality suffering too. Of course, all that Sleepysurf said is right - they are the reasons for doing it. Problem is - for these reasons (as stated by Sleepysurf) to work then quality generally MUST suffer. eg. If B&W have an order for 50,000 "Black Gates" resistors then their other brands will have to use them too - regardless if they are best or not for a particular design.

I recall ML being bought a few years back... likewise, I hope for the best for ARC as I still have not been fortunate enough to get my system grooving with an ARC component. I need for ARC to continue producing great components for my future enjoyment and the enjoyment of many others.

Well, Adcom was just acquired by Emerson! Clearly, the trend in high-end, and mid-fi, is consolidation of many brands under one parent corporation. Obviously there are significant cost-savings/economies of scale to be gained in all aspects of design, manufacturing, distribution, human resources, etc. I fear that in many instances, the "brand" is being bought for marketing purposes, but the "product" will never be the same. Time will tell whether quality suffers in the long run.

So true. I wonder what prompted the sale. If the owner(s) are retiring and want to cash out is one thing. However, if they are selling due to financial difficulties, it's a different matter.

Who would want to and could afford to buy an audio company other than a rich hobbyist or someone who owns a portfolio of companies that could have synergy with the rest of the companies he owns?

William Z. Johnson is obviously not a kid anymore. ARC is his baby. If you read the S'phile post you get the impression that he felt this was the right time to get out. The article also stated that ARC just had one of the best financial periods in its history. I, for one, am not worried. BTW, all my electronics, with the exception of the mult-disc player, are from ARC.

..............BTW, all my electronics, with the exception of the mult-disc player, are from ARC.
Ditto for me. I wonder what a turntable made by ARC would look like (visions of Macintosh's turntable come to mind). :devil:

ARC have been on a roll of late. Here's hoping the cash infusion leads to some new goodies, like a surround sound processor/preamp with all the bells and whistles AND the output stage of the Ref 3 ...

ARC have been on a roll of late. Here's hoping the cash infusion leads to some new goodies, like a surround sound processor/preamp with all the bells and whistles AND the output stage of the Ref 3 ...

I wish that would really happen! Just add the new codecs available now.:music:

Latest posts

Back