Aquarium & Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all, i have just added some music to my aquarium setup.

Aquarium setup:

Water: fresh water
Tank size: 135 gallons
Fishes include: cichlids (different colors), 2 arowana, and a sucker (aka fish that gets rid of algae) = 28 fishes
Filters: Eheim 2262 (external) + Whisper Power Filter 60 (hang-on-back) + Undergravel filters w/ 2 air tubes
Wood: maple

Stereo Music setup:

Speakers: Paradigm Millenia 200 Piano Black (http://www.paradigm.com/products/series=millenia/model=millenia-200/page=overview)
Receiver/Amplifier: Yamaha RX-797 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200028)
SACD/CD 5 Disc Changer: Sony SCD-CE595 (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...51&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11035356)

Stand: Lowe's stackable maple wood stand ($20!)

Attachments

• PICT0004 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0004 (Medium).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 798
  • PICT0005 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0005 (Medium).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 794
  • PICT0007 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0007 (Medium).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 780
  • PICT0003 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0003 (Medium).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Thai, this is very cool. Don't the arowanas eat anything smaller than they are?

Bob

Thai, nice setup.

So much more relaxing than a TV :cool:

Thai - Very nice tank. I've had many different Arrowanas over the years, and several different types. They actually have a tendancy not to eat their tankmates as they grow...I did say tendancy;) They are beautiful fish and so relaxing to watch, the way they move is so effortless and smooth.
Are the Cichlids African or S. American?

Mike

Nice set up!

Would like a tank someday, but here are couple of questions I've always had....
1. Does loud music bother the fish?
2. Does the fish tank circulation pump / bubbles make distracting noise?

Thai - Very nice tank. I've had many different Arrowanas over the years, and several different types. They actually have a tendancy not to eat their tankmates as they grow...I did say tendancy;) They are beautiful fish and so relaxing to watch, the way they move is so effortless and smooth.
Are the Cichlids African or S. American?

Mike

Thanks. They are African Cichlids. The Arowanas are just beautiful to watch...very elegant.

Would like a tank someday, but here are couple of questions I've always had....
1. Does loud music bother the fish?
2. Does the fish tank circulation pump / bubbles make distracting noise?

I don't plan on playing the music loud...thus, i am not planning on a subwoofer. Basically, my goal was to have a nice high quality smooth sounding system for relaxing purposes (thus, no rap or heavy metal). Therefore, hopefully, Enya & similar music won't be too stressful on the fishes. So far, the fishes don't act any differently.

For my tank, i wanted a tank that was peaceful to look at. Therefore, i avoided adding the big air stones that create tons of bubbles. Instead, I have 1 major filter (capable of filtering up to 500 gallons) and a backup small filter. All of my equipment is hidden behind plants and rocks, except for my backup filter. There is one air pump to run the undergravel filter and provide bubbles at two hidden locations for oxygenation. Therefore, you do not see many bubbles at all when you look at my tank. As for the noise, you can hear if you pay attention to it, but it is not overwhelming at all. The filters run pretty quiet. The air pump does make noise, but it's hidden under the canopy/hood...thus, you don't hear it much.

Here are some more pics of my tank BEFORE i added the sound system: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29088

Last edited:
Beautiful tank Thai..you decided upon going salt yet??

Not yet...i like fresh water for it's ease of maintenance.:p Otherwise, i certainly feel that salt water tanks are just about the most beautiful thing to have!:bowdown:

Very nice looking tank and setup!

I used to have a salt water tank in the same room as the stereo in my old house. It made some noise (mostly the fans on the lights, since coral requires lots of light), but not overly distracting. I put the filtration and aireators under the tank, and then insultated the enclosure to eliminate as much noise as possible.

In the new house, the tank is in a seperate room from the stereo...thus no problem!

Whatever floats your boat (sorry I couldnt resist lol). Beautiful tank though...I wish I had the talent and patience, I loved my freshwater tank. Really relaxing addition to a home. :bowdown:

Seeing that setup made me think of...........Handel's "Water Music" ! Please feel free to groan :D

Update...here is my new CD/SACD 5-disc changer player. It sounds good, and it has a lot of flexibility with the 5-disc changer.

Attachments

• PICT0001 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0001 (Medium).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 498
Back