Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Looks like I have now definately (at last) found myself a pair of Duetta Sigs for an almost complete re-build. I am going to get all the drivers replaced with Graz drivers - bass and MRTs, and have some work done of the crossovers. They'll also be resprayed to make them look pretty much like new.

I'm due some pics, but they are not in good condition. I'll post them if the vendor doesn't mind.

It should take about a month for them to be re-worked and arrive. I'll use this thread to keep you all updated and let you know what I think.

Don't worry - I haven't sold my Logans - and I won't until I know I prefer the Apogees - or not!

I just think this is an interesting venture, so I really want to undertake it. And if I don't like the end result, I can always revert to my MLs, and pass the Apogees on...

Good luck with it Justin. Should be a fun project. Hope they sound awesome.

Thanks Rich - here's a few pics of said Duettas. A bit knackered, but the idea is that they won't be when done, of course!

Attachments

• Duetta.jpg
    Duetta.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4,187
  • Duetta rear.jpg
    Duetta rear.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4,766
  • Duetta backplate.jpg
    Duetta backplate.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,246
And a shot of the disintegrating foam behind the MRTW... common problem, apparently. As is the foam that holds the bass ribbons. When it goes, they audibly buzz.

Stands a bit worse for wear - maybe able to get new ones from Germany. Not sure yet.

Attachments

• Foam death.jpg
    Foam death.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 4,460
  • Duetta stands.jpg
    Duetta stands.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4,158
Potential candidate for respray... rather nice, I think. And an excellent match for the ribbon colour.

Actually, I'd take the car over the speakers...:D:)

Attachments

• Porsche Atlas Grey.jpg
    Porsche Atlas Grey.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4,040
  • Porsche Atlas Grey Metallic close.jpg
    Porsche Atlas Grey Metallic close.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 4,079
Last edited:
I see a SS amp in your near future ! :rolleyes:

Send me yours:rolleyes:?:)

Actually, I was gonna use this. Check out the spec: 1W/Ch • 10-20KHz +0/-2dB • Input -20/+4dB@10kOhm • 4.4" X 3.0" X 3.0" • 111mmX76mmX76mm • 12VAC@1A

Graz "the man" seems to think my amps will power a re-vamped Duetta "all the way".

Attachments

• imphand.jpg
    imphand.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 3,970
Last edited:
Good luck Justin. Foam disintegrates wherever it is used - stupid substance!

Yup - I think the Aussie chappie Graz has managed to replace it with some other more durable material - or more durable foam:D!

Have to say, getting them re-done isn't cheap - but still less than a new pair of Vantage at list price. They come with a 1 year warranty, too, which gives some sort of peace of mind.

Last edited:
Be sure to replace those binding post too. I used the Copper Cardas with my Apogees.

Yup - new binding posts are part of the re-build too. To be honest, they should be markedly better than the originals. No hand cut foils here - they are precision machine cut to higher tolerances.

Stands a bit worse for wear - maybe able to get new ones from Germany. Not sure yet.
Considering how tall the speakers are, have you considered doing what SME's AR-A did with the Quads, i.e. building a more solid stand ?

Send me yours:rolleyes:?:)
Hard to part with a friend!

Actually, I was gonna use this. Check out the spec: 1W/Ch • 10-20KHz +0/-2dB • Input -20/+4dB@10kOhm • 4.4" X 3.0" X 3.0" • 111mmX76mmX76mm • 12VAC@1A

That is cool, Id like toi hear tht with some Klipsch horns

Graz "the man" seems to think my amps will power a re-vamped Duetta "all the way".

Looking forward to the review!

Considering how tall the speakers are, have you considered doing what SME's AR-A did with the Quads, i.e. building a more solid stand ?

Not yet. But they weight a tonne, unlike an ESL. They should be pretty "inert".

Looking like Mercedes Benitoite Blue for the colour - same as my car:)

From the Moscode thread, Bernard said: "Huh? You are paying him the re-spray money upfront? That seems like a strange way to do business. I hope he's good for the refund if/when you say you like them."

The deal is this - he really wanted them in grey, because he thinks that is an easy sell if I don't want them. So if I don't he wants to be able to "return them" to grey, at my expense. I think that's reasonable - if I had requested psychedelic green, and didn't want them, I don't think it would be fair on him. That's extreme, but the principle is the same.

So I have agreed to it - it's not a huge sum. It also shows some commitment to the re-build.

Justin, I deleted from the Moscode thread my posts on your rebuild, just to minimize the hijacking of that thread.

I've PM'd those that contributed to the hi-jack, and deleted my posts.

OK - the thread was probably dead anyway - but hey - keep a tidy house!

This thread has lost a little continuity, but I'm sure we can live with that.

Latest posts

Back