Anyone using the Krell Showcase of Theater Standard processor?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

leaderc

Just what the title says, anyone using either of these processors? I'm looking at a new processor as well as amp to go with the new Ascents, which sound awesome though they are not even broken in yet :)

Also any thoughts on whether something like the Krell is worth it compared to say the Denon 4806 which seems to be well received here and could be paired with a larger amplifier (5 channel or 2 channel).

My listening is probably 80% HT and 20% music, though the music side may go up with the new Ascents in place :)

Charles

you can't go wrong with any krell gear. my opinion to you .... look at the pass labs amps. they are excellent and i have never met anyone who has not liked them. i know plently of people who switched from krell to pass labs and won't go back. i personally have the x250 and love it. it is much smoother than the krell amps and paired off with nordost cables it will give you goosebumps.

I auditioned the showcase and the lexicon mc8 and went with the lexicon based on the fact its upgradeable and has the lexicon L7 mode. I bought it used for 3k. Ive seen the showcase for as low as 2400.
I also found the Lexicon to be simpler to adjust.

I have a Showcase and it has been a very good pre/pro. It was the best sounding pre/pro in my system at that price point. It feeds a Mark Levinson power amp and a pair of Quests.

I run a Showcase pre/pro and have absolutely no complaints. I'm 95% 2-channel, though, so the various sound modes aren't quite as important to me compared to someone who spends lots of time in HT. Make sure you investigate all the different modes before you committ. I think Krell is a bit behind the power curve when it comes to offering the latest dolby/htx/etc.
I also run the Krell 5-channel showcase amp. I'm bi-amping, bi-wiring my Odysseys and use the fifth channel for the center speaker. Only drawback is the heat - It can get pretty toasty at times.
I bought the amp on audiogon and found the pre/pro on ebay. Both were around $2,400 (it took me a while to get these deals). The pre/pro was brand new and the amp was very lightly used.

Krell Showcase

I am currently using the showcase pre/pro with the showcase amp and the showcase dvd. I couldn't be happier with the sound. I have a denon avr-5800 powering claritys, cinema i, passages, in a bedroom and the showcase blows it away. The step to separates is a big difference, but when you talk stepping to krell its like night and day. And that speaks a lot about the krell pieces since the denon is an exceptional piece, probably one of the best receivers of all time. (Now surpassed by the 5805 of course.) The only thing I can warn you about is that the krell isn't capable of as many tricks as the denons are, for example, multiple zones, independent video select, recording from one source while viewing another, and it doesn't have anywhere near as many inputs. But if its strictly quality that you are after, the krell is the piece hands down. Hope that helps

Anthony A. said:
you can't go wrong with any krell gear. my opinion to you .... look at the pass labs amps. they are excellent and i have never met anyone who has not liked them. i know plently of people who switched from krell to pass labs and won't go back. i personally have the x250 and love it. it is much smoother than the krell amps and paired off with nordost cables it will give you goosebumps.

I have to agree with Anthony in both respects. All of my "High End" HiFi life, I have worshopped Krell. The look, the name, & the sound (when heard at dealers or friends) was in my mind, above and beyond anything else that I had heard. Ever noticed how the name "Krell" just rolls off of your tongue? You almost want to grunt after saying it! Keep in mind, I was not listening to MLs at the time. I can only say this as Roberto so elequently put it, "Trust your ears". Let them decide. :cool:

Just an update, I did go with the Showcase, it really is a great pre/pro, thanks for all the advice from everyone here. I'd highly recommend the Krell to anyone.

C.

Back