Anyone looking for a Velodyne SMS-1? Now's your chance to save!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Now is the time to buy it!

I discovered on another forum that there's a group buy going on for the SMS-1. Retails for $749, but group buy for only $499 w/ shipping included!!! Which is certainly much cheaper than these SMS1s go for on audiogon even!

Here is the link.. and if any of you are on the fence for one, buy now... worry later! Besides, you can turn it around for profit if you change your mind.

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=388.0

Basically, this is an EQ for infrasonic frequencies... and allows for instant room correction.
Prod_detail_SMS_remote_mic_.jpg

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=15

Excerpt from Stereophile (Kal Rubinson):
Finally, while in the past I've advocated running the main left, right, and center speakers full-range, I'm changing my view. Whether running two, three, four, or five channels, the overall musical balance is superior with all the low bass running through the sub and the SMS-1, as that part of the response is flat. Until now, I have not even felt much need for a subwoofer in my New York City system with either the Revel Studio or the B&W 802D speakers. Even systems based on such large speakers should greatly benefit from the addition of an SMS-1 and subwoofer—not to extend in-room frequency response, but to linearize and flatten the bass, something that's nearly impossible to accomplish without sacrificing these speakers' overall balance and imaging capabilities. Gotta try that!

Pic of the on-the-fly FR graphs:
1105mitr.lveleq.jpg

I figure that all who already know about this product probably already purchased one.. I figured I'd post some more info on this device for all those who haven't heard about the SMS-1. Enjoy guys.

Joey :)

Last edited:
Dave (Twich54), is this the sub that you and Dan are using?

It does look like a killer price!

Edit - just realized that what Dave has is a DD-15 with built in SMS

So, Dave, can you describe the differences here?

Last edited:
This deal is most certainly awesome... if I had a sub I'd get it.

For some reason, even without a sub... I have a bit of an inkling to get one, just in case.

I dunno.... ah well. If I can help out 1 MLO-er... that's good enough for me.

I mostly use the sub at either 35 or 45 Low Pass (through the presets) and run the CLSIIz's full range.Dan

As Dan mentioned with his 'presets', I have my DD-15 set at 45 and 65.

FWIW, while Erik was here this past Sat everything we listened to was at the 65hz setting, which is where it spends 90% of the time. There is a movie preset which has less servo control (supposedly desirable for the HT crowd ???), with all that's going on in a movie I really don't know that I hear a difference. How about you Dan ??

As Dan mentioned with his 'presets', I have my DD-15 set at 45 and 65. FWIW, while Erik was here this past Sat everything we listened to was at the 65hz setting, which is where it spends 90% of the time. There is a movie preset which has less servo control (supposedly desirable for the HT crowd ???), with all that's going on in a movie I really don't know that I hear a difference. How about you Dan ??
Remember, the SMS-1 does not have the servo adjustment which the DD line has. But to answer your question Dave, the Movie setting has a 5 dB bump at 35 Hz for that extra feel - this is also adjustable by the end user.

Back