Anyone located in Charlotte, NC with Summits???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I would like to audition some Summits. My problem is that no dealer has Summits in the area. The only one that is getting them willl be using VERY different front end gear then mine. Anyone willing to let me listen????

Summit Auditioning Problem...

jtwrace,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
I have been having the same problem here in northern California, nobody seems to have Summits in stock to audition. It's kinda sad really. I haven't had the time to travel over a hundred miles to were they might have them. Oh well, there's no rush for me really.... It is kinda weird though. :confused:
I hope you do find some Summits somewhere to audition in your area though.

Good luck. :D

jtwrace said:
I would like to audition some Summits. My problem is that no dealer has Summits in the area. The only one that is getting them willl be using VERY different front end gear then mine. Anyone willing to let me listen????
Your best bet may be Audio Advice on Glenwood Ave. in Raleigh. They got Summits in early on, and still have them as far as I know. They were hooked up to Classe gear. I bought my Ascent I and Depth there. The sales manager, Gregg Scott, also owns ML gear. They are a high-end store, and will hook up whatever they carry if you give them enough lead time.
http://www.audioadvice.com

Summit in NC

Thanks for the reply. I would just prefer not to have to drive 3 hours. That's all! Just hoping someone is a bit closer to me in Charlotte...

:( Wish I could help. All I could find in Charlotte was the Vantage. While the store said they could "order" the Summit, Tweeter had no plans to have a demo model. It's just as well though.... The Vantages were a big enough impact to my budget, and if I'd heard the Summit, I might have been less happy with the Vantage. :) I have a feeling that Steve is right though. Raleigh is likely to be the closest place to find a pair of Summits.

Yes the nearest dealer with the Summits on display is in Raleigh. Tweeter is supposed to have them on display in Atlanta, the Buckead location. I was also told that Read Brothers in Charleston, SC had them on display but I have not confirmed that.

I heard them in Raleigh sometime ago and they do sound great. However, not good enough for me to justify upgrading from my Odysseys with dual ML subs.

BTW - If you know of anyone interested, I have a pair of Black Ascents in the Charlotte area that I need to sell and will make someone a great deal.

Though I see it is a far drive, I feel that you owe it to yourself to audition the Summits if you are in the market for a speaker of this caliber. It is a very good speaker - well worth the retail considering other speakers of the same retail price. I have heard much of the 2nd generation ML (with the exception of the Prodigy) and none of them ever got to me the way the Summits did/do.

I could've bought the Ascent i's brand new for less than $2300 at Tweeter, but I declined as I felt that after hearing the Summits, there really was no turning back.

Just my .02.....

Make sure they are properly positioned (toed in appropriately) and that you are sitting not too low, but have your ears at about the middle 1/2 to 2/3 of the panel. Make sure they are properly powered and have a proper source before passing judgement.

The Summits are, like most super speakers, tough to dial in as you want to get every bit of that $10K to shine in your room, but once you do... it is truly a WONDERFUL experience.

Joey ;)

jtwrace said:
Thanks for the reply. I would just prefer not to have to drive 3 hours. That's all! Just hoping someone is a bit closer to me in Charlotte...
You could make it an adventure. The Carolinian leaves Charlotte on weekends around 0800 and arrives in Cary (suburb of Raleigh) about 3 hours later. The same train then leaves Cary at around 1700 for a 3 hour trip back to Charlotte. Round trip fare is roughly $44. You should be able to get a cab from the Cary Amtrak station to Audio Advice for about $10-15 each way. My schedule is random, but if I'm around, I'll just take you there. Here's a horrendously long URL showing sample fares:
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtra...ren=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=31&y=13

jtwrace said:
Thanks for the reply. I would just prefer not to have to drive 3 hours. That's all!
Yeah, 6 hours of your day is a bunch just to listen to some equipment, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made :D For instance... :eek:

I flew 6 hours to hear the CLS and Sequel speakers, drove 9 hours to purchase my CLSIIz's. I flew 4 hours to hear the Plinius amp, and drove 8 hours to purchase my SA-102. Luckily when I purchased my Sequel II's, it was only a 45 minute drive. :p

I agree with some of the other posts...make it a nice road trip / adventure for a day. Take in some other things that your destination city may offer you besides the audition of the Summits. In the end, if you end up buying the Summits, you will look back and thank yourself for taking the time and effort.

Dan

I was calling around to find a place besides Tweeter to listen to Vantages and found that Freeman's Stereo on Independence has Summits in Charlotte, NC.

Summits in CLT

I refuse to go there. Everytime I have they are so rude. Forget it. I ordered mine from my usual guy and they are arriving in two weeks. :) If you are interested come listen to mine. Send me an em. Oh, I'm sure my guy can save you $$$$

Summits in CLT

He is closed today, I will let you know Tues.

Back