Anyone listen to the Mosaic or Montage yet?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
Has anyone out there had a chance to hear the Mosaic or Montage?

I know there is a review of the Montage on avrev.com, but it would be interesting to hear what people on the board think. How do they compare to a Logan using a ESL?

I am not looking at buying them. I am just curious about them as I am sure many others are.

great speakers...the nearest technology to electrostatic

Nick said:

I know there is a review of the Montage on avrev.com, but it would be interesting to hear what people on the board think. How do they compare to a Logan using a ESL?

I am not looking at buying them. I am just curious about them as I am sure many others are.
Hello Nick. The ATF it is the next near technology to electrostatic tech. The sound is great and very clean. Wide scenario and a lot of air between instruments. It works like an electrostatic panel...a true push-pull device. Just listen carefuly and trust your ears, not in specs!...go for them, any model, and you won't regret it for sure.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto,

I am not looking to buy them. They are above my budget so I am still looking for some used Aeriuses.

I was just curious as to how they sound as there is no threads I could find were someone has given them a review.

Cheers.

Research the archives

You may have done this already, but research the forum archives. I remember a number of threads dealing with one or both speakers over the last 6-9 months or so. It might be a little painfull to dig though it, but you also might find some good info.

Kruppy

I've listened to the Mosaics - very nice.

I've owned the Mosaics and Fresco for nearly a year now and I enjoy them more every day. I auditioned the ATF speakers against a number of 'box' speakers - Boston VRM's, Polk, Mirage, Sonus Faber & Vienna Acoustics as well as the ML Clarity. IMHO, the electrostatic and ATF speakers outperform many of the box designs, in their ability to create a clear, crisp & open presentation, especially in the mid-to-high frequency range, without coloring (distorting, altering or otherwise degrading) the sound.

For my application, the ATF speakers were a good fit, literally (compared to the electrostatics), due to my small listening room - even the Clarity would be overpowering, visually at least (must consider the WAF).

Another advantage of the Mosaic and Fresco, being dynamic speakers is that you don't have to plug them in. This makes placement and setup somewhat easier and less-dependent on AC power and wiring quality (and quantity).

I certainly don't mean to imply that these are better than the higher-end electrostatics (I wouldn't dare, especially here), only that they offer impressive sound in a small, convenient package and at a reasonable price. They're definitely well-worth an audition for anyone shopping this price range.

I own Mosaics, Montages and a Fresco. The Mosaics and Fresco are part of a home theater and the Montages are in a stereo set up.

I did not compare them against stats because I did not have the money to even consider stats. I got very good deals on demos which allowed me to even consider these. I was blown away by the sound compared to box speakers I had heard instantly.

I did listen to the Clarity before deciding on the Mosaics. I thought the Clarity was more open than the Mosaics but not enough difference to justify a pretty big price differential.

Last night I picked up a copy of Hi-Fi News Jan 2005 at Barnes and Noble. There is a four page column on the Montage/Fresco/Grotto. The reviewer used both the Montage for 2 channel w&w/out the Grotto. He did the same for the Fresco. Then he used them in combination w/ the sub for 5.1 home theater. The last paragraph of the article said this:
"As good as the Montage proved to be it was outshone by the Fresco/Grotto combination, and I am seriously considering using Frescos in my reference home cinema system; they blend with my SL-3s seamlessly. There is no question in my mind that MartinLogan has a winning system here, though the star is clearly the Fresco. As a multi-channel solution I would highly recommend it, and give an especially strong recommendation for the Freso."
David Allcock

Last edited:
I believe the Fresco has two ATFs as opposed to the Montage's one. The Fresco also costs more than the Montage. The Montage is about $750 each as opposed to the Fresco is $900 or so. The Montage does have the two 6" cones for mid and bass.

I did see the Grotto/Fresco HT set up reviewed quite a while ago and, if you could afford it, it would probably not only sound really sweet, it would really look good too. The review is here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ar...on_id=3&article_id=544&page_number=4&preview=

$6000 for a full martin logan home theater system sounds like a bargain. even if they're not electrostats.

Daryl Zero said:
I believe the Fresco has two ATFs as opposed to the Montage's one. The Fresco also costs more than the Montage. The Montage is about $750 each as opposed to the Fresco is $900 or so. The Montage does have the two 6" cones for mid and bass.

Absolutely. The Fresco has two ATFs.

Having both Clarity (front) and Fresco (rear), I've been quite impressed about the similarity in the sound produced by these two models, although using different technologies (respectively ESL and ATF). :)

Nick said:

hi
I own the Mosaic's 2 months with Primaluna Prol.One Gyro/SME IV/Dynavector 17DII
Trichord Delphini.
They are driven very good from 30w/ch of Primaluna at my 40sq/meter room.
Some thoughts are about the low frequencies.
Mid's and high are excellent.
Soundstage is deep and wide but they need's time for the right position.
I think that it was a good choice especialy if you think that they replaced Sonus faber Concertino is a very good speaker also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back