Anyone know about premium power cables that fit the AC to Dc

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil in Ocala

Reaction score
was told by another ML user to get "Waudio 3500 CR" but
I think they are now out of business..........any ideas? I have Clarity ESL

hey Phil, 'fit the AC to the DC', some kind of new disco dance ?

Welcome Phil, I'm not understanding what you mean by fit AC to DC. What is it supposed to do. I did a search for Waudio 3500 and found nothing.

Last edited:
I think he might mean this kind of power cable: Link and link. Can't find anything on the "3500 CR" identification though, but waudio seems to exist.

Last edited:
Those are VERY nice looking power cords. The price is right too. For $35 you get power cords that look like they are very expensive. A very easy way to dress up your power cord.

I did some research and found out these Waudio cables are made in Hong Kong and sent them an email of the ML power convertor that has the small end....and I await an answer

I did some research and found out these Waudio cables are made in Hong Kong and sent them an email of the ML power convertor that has the small end....and I await an answer

The "small end" is a standard male IEC 320 connector for 110V AC.. <Power (NEMA and IEC and CEE) Connector Guide | C2G>
It is not a DC connector if the other end is 2 or 3 prong AC plug. However there are IEC 320 plugs for DC, e.g., laptop power supplies.

Can you post a picture of the ML power convertor plug/cable you are looking for?

I got a reply from cablecompany.com....Looks like it would run me about $200 for a pair....at least...Question is: Will the Clarity ESL perform better???

I pulled up the Clarity owners manual. The Clarity requires a DC bias voltage for the panels and is shipped with the appropriate "wall warts". The AC and DC connection cables appear to be molded int the case of the AC/DC converter and not be replaceable without disassembly of the converter.

Yes, but I am only considering an upgrade of the power CABLE..only to a premium CABLE...the question is...will it make a noticeable difference worth the money?

Yes, but I am only considering an upgrade of the power CABLE..only to a premium CABLE...the question is...will it make a noticeable difference worth the money?

No and tho I haven't seen or heard your system I guarantee you I could find areas that your $$ would be better spent.

You cannot use just a cable. The Clarity speakers require a DC bias voltage as supplied by the included "wall wart" style AC to DC converter to convert the AC line voltage to the required DC bias voltage.

I replaced the power cables to my SL3s with a dedicated Foundation Research LC1 power conditioner to each speaker, on the recommendation of Moon (the MLO member here, not the company). It made a big difference top to bottom. Note: it was not just a simple cable change.

One thing the change highlighted is that there is no real standard for IEC inlet connectors. The power connector at each speaker from the power conditioner does not fit the IEC inlet securely; it easily drops out. I have bought a couple of Furutech IEC connectors to replace the ones on the speakers as they do fit well; I just have to install them.

I bought the power conditioners used (they are no longer made) by checking hifishark. I paid about US$300 for each. The Furutech connectors are widely available. I bought mine from PartsConnexion for US$28 each.

I replaced the power cables to my SL3s with a dedicated Foundation Research LC1 power conditioner to each speaker, on the recommendation of Moon (the MLO member here, not the company). It made a big difference top to bottom. Note: it was not just a simple cable change.

One thing the change highlighted is that there is no real standard for IEC inlet connectors. The power connector at each speaker from the power conditioner does not fit the IEC inlet securely; it easily drops out. I have bought a couple of Furutech IEC connectors to replace the ones on the speakers as they do fit well; I just have to install them.

Similarly I repurposed an unused PSAudio P300 to provide regenerated power to my CLXs. Every little bit helps...IMO the results, tho' small, are cummulative.

Even high end power cables can have male IEC connectors that are sloppy in some jacks. I found these sleeves to be very helpful and have installed on all but the tightest connections...

<https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Secure-Sleeve-Pieces/dp/B00KGERE6I?th=1>

@Bernard,

Your SL3s have an internal supply for the DC bias voltage, so you can use a regular AC line power cable.

@Phil in Ocala

Clarity uses an external power supply with molded on cables to connect the the AC wall outlet and the DC input to each speaker. You cannot connect the Clarity directly to the wall AC source. You have to use the supplied ML adapter. You may be able to find some aftermarket solution, but is seems unlikely for an older speaker. like Clarity.

Back