Anyone Heard the new Abyss?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodspr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a quality sub to replace an older Best Buy model from years ago. Currently have the Aerius I's and Cinema speakers. Called ML and they have been shipping the Abyss's, however the Tweeter's in my area haven't received any yet.

Has anyone heard one? How do they sound? Would the Abyss be comparable to SVS?

thanks

OK, since the Abyss wasn't available in my area yet and my spending hand was tingling, broke down and got the Grotto to finally pair up with my Aerius I's and couldn't resist the Dynamo for th eSonos in the bedroom. Never thought I would like bass, but my mind has changed!!!

I would also recommend Velodyne DD series, as they are very low distortion, which is what mates best with the ultra-low distortion ML's.

Tiberium said:
ML's top of the line sub can not compete with SVS.

Right. Internet Hype + Dollars spent in magazine adverts= Overhyped Gear.

Some friends and I once did a blind test with 5 subs. The SVS came in 3rd behind the Descent and Bag End Infra18. This test included a reviewer who had written that the SVS was the end all be all and left saying "well you know how it is... sometimes you forget what you liked so much about another speaker."

SVS has subs that compete with the Descent by now I'm sure. They don't even sell the speaker that was in the competition anymore for anything close to what they used to charge for it. It was a 16-46 and at the time it was priced at around $1,000. Now I think you can get it for like $480.

I'm sure their new box subs that I keep hearing about are great. I've got an appointment to meet with them at CEDIA because they're now a full speaker line company and they want dealers.

Don't buy all the hype you hear/read. The guys at SVS are like good Lobbyists they know what to say to get what they want.

Right. Internet Hype + Dollars spent in magazine adverts= Overhyped Gear.

I never said SVS was good and I never said ML was good but SVS does kill ML when it comes to tests. Now the quality of bass coming from these subs is different and matters only to the person listening to it. If you want a real nice pre built sub go with a velodyne DD.

Tiberium said:
I never said SVS was good and I never said ML was good but SVS does kill ML when it comes to tests. Now the quality of bass coming from these subs is different and matters only to the person listening to it. If you want a real nice pre built sub go with a velodyne DD.
Tiberium...not directed at you...but your post made me come up with some ideas to throw around...

In the tests I have read about, the SVS does SPL's well and has some decent measurements. But do SPL's and measurements equate to good sound? For some people yes, for others no. Does good testing results always relate to good sound? Does good talk about the product on audio forums equate to a good product? Some of these may be a starting point or a way to determine what "may" be good or not. But like you have stated, it is up to the person listening and their decision on what is best for them. And ultimately what sounds best in their setup and environement.

With the SVS subs being direct buy only, it is hard to audition one. Yes you can get one at home to try out for the trial period, but you do have to pay for the shipping charges - not a cheap audition for the larger ones. If I really wanted to hear a SVS sub without having to outlay some cash, I guess I could try to find someone local to me with it and see if they would be willing to let me come over for a listen.

I finally got a chance to listen to the DD-12 sub the other day with some Bohlender-Graebener speakers (nice sounding for ribbon speakers). The store I was at did not have the DD hooked up to video for me to verify how it was setup. But when I listened to it, I was not impressedl - and with all the great talk about the DD line, I was ready to be wow'ed. But in defense, I wish I knew how it was setup and if the EQ was done to truly verify how well the sub was performing. Without the EQ setup, the sub really was not showing its true potential.

I also had a chance to listen to the Depth - but in a different store, and matched up with ML speakers, and I liked what I initially heard from the Depth. But I want to go back when I have some more time for placement changes, setting changes, and more time to sit and listen to more song choices. I only had a quick hour to stop by on my way home from work which really does not give one time to fully audition a product.

Dan

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the descent with a velodyne SMS-1?

In the tests I have read about, the SVS does SPL's well and has some decent measurements. But do SPL's and measurements equate to good sound?

For the average person bass is bass and SPL is the only thing that matters but in most movies I can see where they are coming from and if a person has the money you would need to buy two subs one for movies and one for critical listening.

Tiberium said:
For the average person bass is bass and SPL is the only thing that matters but in most movies I can see where they are coming from and if a person has the money you would need to buy two subs one for movies and one for critical listening.
For me, the average person: bass = boom. For the more decerning listener, bass is accuracy. But I would agree with you on movies, where volume levels can make for exciting experience and involvement in the movie.

Dan

How much is the Abyss going for in the States these days?

I have the combo and it works great! :) BTW, IMO bass is not bass, whether in movies or music. Sure, movies can have the huge bass effects, but subtle differences in bass quality in a movie or music make the difference between good and great sound. Finally, anyone on this site with ML speakers is not an average listener because the speakers they own are well beyond any average speaker in sound quality. I have owned Velo, SVS, ACI and other subs and the Depth is much better for music and movies. It is flat in my room below 20hz, and the bass is powerful but articulate.

attyonline said:
I have the combo and it works great! :) BTW, IMO bass is not bass, whether in movies or music. Sure, movies can have the huge bass effects, but subtle differences in bass quality in a movie or music make the difference between good and great sound. Finally, anyone on this site with ML speakers is not an average listener because the speakers they own are well beyond any average speaker in sound quality. I have owned Velo, SVS, ACI and other subs and the Depth is much better for music and movies. It is flat in my room below 20hz, and the bass is powerful but articulate.
So you use the SMS-1 with the Depth or the Descent?

Like I stated above I plan on trying out the Depth with the SMS-1 soon. With what I heard in the store without the SMS-1 (very positive), I would like to hear the improvements with the SMS-1. And the store is very good about loaning equipment out for trial - at least with me they are.

Dan

I liked the depth, but ended up with the RBH sa-400. 12" with a dedicated separate 400W amp that weighs a zillion pounds. It has really great clarity and accuracy, and I like it both for movies and music. I think part is due to the amp being matched for the sub, but regardless it won me over and I have been happy and have no need to change....

Now if I can get the aeon i's fixed and move my aerius i's to the rears, I will be cooking!

DTB300 said:
So you use the SMS-1 with the Depth or the Descent?

Like I stated above I plan on trying out the Depth with the SMS-1 soon. With what I heard in the store without the SMS-1 (very positive), I would like to hear the improvements with the SMS-1. And the store is very good about loaning equipment out for trial - at least with me they are.

Dan

I plan on trying the SMS-1 with my Descent very soon. :D

DTB300 said:
All right Joe...new toys on the way!!!!

Dan

New toy?

How about this one that showed up at my doorstep last Friday. :D

PS Audio P1000 Power Plant. ;)

Attachments

• PSa.jpg
    PSa.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 249
Zip3kx07 said:
How about this one that showed up at my doorstep last Friday. :D PS Audio P1000 Power Plant. ;)
Very cool...Power Regeneration to get clean power. Initial impressions?

Tiberium said:

You said it couldn't compete. Now you say it gets killed in tests. I ran a true Double Blind test with a lot of people and the SVS finished 3rd, behind a ML sub.

I've known many people that were impressed with how low an SVS can supposedly go, but they don't go as low as a Bag End. They have drivers which move a massive 3 inches. However the driver isn't fast enough for articulated bass. Thats why the balanced design ML uses works. 3 drivers that move extremely fast... they create a more articulated sound.

A Depth with SMS-1 would be far better in my humble opinion than anything I've heard from SVS.

Back