Anyone Heard the new Abyss?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tsd2005 said:
So does Bag End make a sub that goes down to 8HZ because they really believe it makes it sound better recreating 16HZ, or because of marketing?
I truly believe they would not state 8Hz if they could not do it. And the thinking is: if it can produce at 8Hz, regardless of the SPL loss, that an octove higher would be even easier to do makes perfect sense for the application. Remember we are talking about cone excursions and contol down at these levels, and this is the point most subs have extreme difficulties with.

Some of the reviews and tests I have seen on the Bag End show remarkable results when comparing levels at 25Hz to 10Hz in SPL differences - not too much change occurs, as I have seen with most other subs. While it may not produce the kind of SPL levels of other subs like Velodyne and SVS, all the talk in reviews and tests constantly revolves around the ability to properly reproduce the low end and not HOW much of it. I don't know what others are looking for, but this is what I am looking for - accurate reproduction of musical bass. Just like our speakers, we like Quality over Quantity and we do not care that our beloved ML's cannot reach "Ted Nuggent" concert levels.

Maybe the Bag End will be a good solution for some, but maybe not for others. Good thing we have choices out there with some other good companies like ML, Velodyne, SVS, REL, etc.

I don't believe it is marketing, because if anything Bag End is horrible at marketing. Bag End is primarily a brand that sells in the Professional market and has a firm grip on selling subs to studios. So they don't have a good hold on the Home Market. I expect they believe it helps with the sound. I just know its one of the most musical subs you can buy.
I agree it is not just to put in their marketing, but having that information there is another way to "help" sell their product. If they did not think it would help sell it, they would not have included it. Just like withother subs that market their SPL levels, or ML Subs with their "Balanced Force" taken from their Statement E2 lineup. This helps sell products and every company has to use something to help sell product through literature.

Dan

Last edited:
This was driven by IB and SVS users.

The SVS users said their sub can be tuned to 12Hz so the cutoff at 15 was depriving them of using their subs to their fullest Yep, replacing that missing 3Hz was a world of difference....

The 15Hz cut off was to high but now some people might be doing damage with a 5Hz cut off but that will be different for every sub.

So does Bag End make a sub that goes down to 8HZ because they really believe it makes it sound better recreating 16HZ, or because of marketing?

It all depends on how you look at it because if you can not have a +-3db rating on a product then I think it is useless. With the new testing and measuring specs coming out from DD and DTS this will finaly put every one on an even playing field so you can not fudge your numbers anymore.

I truly believe they would not state 8Hz if they could not do it. And the thinking is: if it can produce at 8Hz, regardless of the SPL loss, that an octove higher would be even easier to do makes perfect sense for the application.

But what about the huge increase in THD?

Back