Anyone have experience with ML's and VTL amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Going to be auditioning a VTL ST150 amp with my Summits. Other equipment includes a CJ Premier 18 LS preamp, Theta Miles CD player, and Mapleshade interconnects.

Has anyone used VTL's with the ML's and, if so, what's been your experience? Also, comment on the different output "modes" if you've been able to audition. Thanks in advance for any input.

GG

Gordon Gray said:
Going to be auditioning a VTL ST150 amp with my Summits.
Since I have CLSIIz's and you have Summits, the results could be very different. I listened to the 85 and 150 in both modes.

Let me see what I can remember, as it has been a bit since I listened to them. Like most of the tube amps I auditioned, the mids were great, but the VTL's did not control the full range panel very well in the bass. Since you have the Summits, this will/should not be an issue for you. Top end was a little too soft and laid back, but I think with some tube rolling this could be changed a bit. Since I was auditioning, tube rolling was not an option at this time.

I listened to many other tube amps with my CLSII'z and found the Class A SA-102 Plinius amp more to my liking matched up with my ARC Tube Pre. But give VTL a shot and see what you think about them. Many people here love the sound of tubes on their ML's, so it is worth trying out to see if you like them too.

Dan

I've heard lots of VTL stuff, not on Logans 'though. I suspect they would make a good pairing. I love Logans with tubes. I'm a believer in tubes from input to output. My tubes include MD 106t tuner, BAT VK51se preamp, ARC Ref110 power amp and ARC PH7 phono amp.

DTB300 said:
Since I have CLSIIz's and you have Summits, the results could be very different. I listened to the 85 and 150 in both modes.

Let me see what I can remember, as it has been a bit since I listened to them. Like most of the tube amps I auditioned, the mids were great, but the VTL's did not control the full range panel very well in the bass. Since you have the Summits, this will/should not be an issue for you. Top end was a little too soft and laid back, but I think with some tube rolling this could be changed a bit. Since I was auditioning, tube rolling was not an option at this time.

I listened to many other tube amps with my CLSII'z and found the Class A SA-102 Plinius amp more to my liking matched up with my ARC Tube Pre. But give VTL a shot and see what you think about them. Many people here love the sound of tubes on their ML's, so it is worth trying out to see if you like them too.

Dan
Hola...the great thing on this forum , is that we can agreed or disagreed and be friends with full of respect to each other..I can say that by my liking and my experience was very nice and mellow, with the VTL 225s, and still are one of the best amps that drove my CLSs with great bass, dynamics with the right size of the instruments, and not only control...to my liking, there are a lot of different things that I listen...as an example, my liking is more to have the stage, with the image of the musicians playing for me...sitting myself at the 7th center rod . The texture of the instruments, and the size of the voices, as they were in and at my room, and was unmatched sound at that time...I had Mark Levinson mono power amps 20.5s at that time too. I lked better the tube sound than my Mark Levinsons. So, trust your ears and choose the one that you liked most!!! happy listening,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola...the great thing on this forum , is that we can agreed or disagreed and be friends with full of respect to each other..
Absolutely Roberto...Just becuase I did not find them to my liking, is just my opinion and my preferences. Same with anything in this great hobby of ours.

And while I did not find a Tube Amp to my liking, it does not mean it isn't a solution for someone else. We each need to find what we like and dislike and make the purchase.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Absolutely Roberto...Just becuase I did not find them to my liking, is just my opinion and my preferences. Same with anything in this great hobby of ours.

And while I did not find a Tube Amp to my liking, it does not mean it isn't a solution for someone else. We each need to find what we like and dislike and make the purchase.

Dan
Dan, as I said it before, you are the man!!!...yes, you are right!...it is just a matter of liking and taste. You like control, clean, transparent, with body, robust when its has to be, and thin with the same thing...well articulated and very precise sound, right?...on the other hand, I like sweetness and 3D...happy listening my dear friend...the good thing is that we have each other without any problem, with respect!!! I really respect you Dan, and of course Jeff...both gentlemen here in forum...it is so good to have you guys...both worlds, tubes and SS are different and both are searching the same...good sound to our ears...with tons of pleasure...happy listening,
Roberto.

Well, I tried

Well folks,

Swapped out my Classe CA 150 SS amp for the VTL. After listening for some 20 hours, i decided to stay with the Classe. The VTL did some amazing things in the soundstage department, but in the end, its a bit too "laid back" for me. My dealer, who lent me the amp to test drive, described the sound of the Classe as "golden" and the VTL as "mocha". In retrospect, a pretty accurate description. Another analogy is the Classe puts me in Row D in the concert hall wherein the VTL is like Row P. My music listening bias is more "in your face" rather than "laid back". Thanks to all who provided their personal experience and comments.

GG

Gordon Gray said:
The VTL did some amazing things in the soundstage department, but in the end, its a bit too "laid back" for me. ....... In retrospect, a pretty accurate description. Another analogy is the Classe puts me in Row D in the concert hall wherein the VTL is like Row P.
So you had the same type of experience with the VTL like I did as I desribed above with" "Top end was a little too soft and laid back". I agree with your comment about the sound stage and mids of the VTL as they were very good, but not good enough for an overall choice for an amp.

Your analogy of the Row D versus Row P is something Roberto and I have agreed on with respect to good SS versus Tube. Both do things very well, they just give you a completely different perspective on the sound. This is where the Plinius excelled for me - great mids like tube amps, but total control in the bass with smooth but accurate high end.

I am like you, I prefer a sound where I am sitting in the first few rows in a Jazz club.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
So you had the same type of experience with the VTL like I did as I desribed above with" "Top end was a little too soft and laid back". I agree with your comment about the sound stage and mids of the VTL as they were very good, but not good enough for an overall choice for an amp.

Your analogy of the Row D versus Row P is something Roberto and I have agreed on with respect to good SS versus Tube. Both do things very well, they just give you a completely different perspective on the sound. This is where the Plinius excelled for me - great mids like tube amps, but total control in the bass with smooth but accurate high end.

I am like you, I prefer a sound where I am sitting in the first few rows in a Jazz club.

Dan
I agreed 100%. Yes muchachos, that's right!...it is a lot of a matter of taste...both sounds are great and very musical...enjoy your new sound!, happy listening,
Roberto.

Back