Anyone build a home theater room and then sell their home?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I could build one now in our basement, but I want a smaller ranch home now that I'm older. I don't think sellers recoupe much of what they spend on building a home theater. Can't justify doing it now and then moving out a few years later.

Has anyone built a nice home theater, decoupled walls etc, and sold their home? How much of the expense do you feel like you recovered?

I'm also not sure how much it costs to build the specialized walls and ceiling etc. I know some places that can do the work but never inquired about cost. Prices on everything now are so crazy anyhow. How expensive is it? Do people use dynamat on homes? It was big in cars.

Depending on how much DIY you can do, it can be more or less expensive. To really understand what’s involved, you might want to peruse the AVS forum, particularly the sub forum on dedicated theater design and construction. Lots of great info.
I can’t answer your question on recouping costs though, as I’ve never sold a home with a dedicated theater.

No dynamat. Generally, you would use a clip and channel system to isolate the walls, and mount a double layer of stiff drywall to that with a layer of green glue in between. And you are so right about crazy prices. I’m building a home right now, so it’s hitting me hard! Thankfully, lumber futures are dropping back down though.

Last edited:
Depending on how much DIY you can do, it can be more or less expensive. To really understand what’s involved, you might want to peruse the AVS forum, particularly the sub forum on dedicated theater design and construction. Lots of great info.
I can’t answer your question on recouping costs though, as I’ve never sold a home with a dedicated theater.

No dynamat. Generally, you would use a clip and channel system to isolate the walls, and mount a double layer of stiff drywall to that with a layer of green glue in between. And you are so right about crazy prices. I’m building a home right now, so it’s hitting me hard! Thankfully, lumber futures are dropping back down though.
Ok, thanks on the tip for the site.

We were looking at building a home with a custom builder but backed out because the prices are so crazy. The high prices dont carry over enough to pre-existing homes either, so for what we can sell our's for wont pay for a new one with the same amenities. We built our current home back in 2008 and its an all brick 2 story, 3 car garage with the entire first floor as hardwood. To do that now would cost us over $650,000 for a moderate size ranch that is about 800 to 1000 sq feet smaller than our current home.

Im going to wait to see how this recession hits and what happens to prices. They should start to come down soon some. They say that supply is still so low that its not having much effect even though interest on loans is double now what it was. Eventually people are going to drop out of the market and prices will come down as there will be enough supply to meet demand. Then I plan on making our move on building.

Your home theater should turn out awesome! I wish I could just build one now in our basement. I have a 20 x20 room down there that is unfinished, but I think id be stupid to spend on it now since im looking to build another home.

Back