Anyone aware if Martin Logan planning to release new range to replace 11A, 13A, 15A

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Masterpiece range been around for 6/7 years, there has been a lot of advances in speaker design in that time, so thinking something may be in the wings.
I would like to upgrade my 13A's to 15A's but would be disappointed if a new range drops shortly after.

Actually, the crossover frequency is the same 300Hz for 11A, 13A, and 15A. But that extra 20% of panel size will help with more detail. I don't recall which thread it was, but Shawn had a great explanation of what to expect when going to a larger panel. It wasn't too long ago, like a month or so ago.

First post. New Member. Bring back the CLX. There's a big gap between the Neolith @ 99,999.00 and the ESL 15A @ 27,499.98? My thoughts.

Masterpiece range been around for 6/7 years, there has been a lot of advances in speaker design in that time, so thinking something may be in the wings.
I would like to upgrade my 13A's to 15A's but would be disappointed if a new range drops shortly after.
Given that CLX Art has been discontinued and n(used) prices are less than 15A's, I would recommend CLX.

My comment has to do with the mentality aspect of this statement. Let's say (for the sake of argument) that I go through the research process and purchase the 15A's as they are the best speakers for my system today. Now, fast forward to 6 months later and ML releases a new line of speakers to replace the current Masterpiece line. How do the release of the new line make my 15A's sound bad? IF the 15A's still sound good, as the day I bought them, then why the disappointment? Is it because I did not get the latest-and-greatest offering? Just something to think about...

To Spike's point, with a little augment of thought,
I can understand being frustrated about not knowing "if" new models will be released in the short term, but it can also be frustrating to wait for a time period of "shortly after" and nothing emerges for double or triple that amount of time.

The key element here is, will anything new be released "soon"?

Then there's the "life is short" aspect of all this. Buy what you like now, don't worry about guessing, "if" you like something better at some future date then trade in what you got, suck up the loss, enjoy the new toy. Win, win. Enjoyment now, more enjoyment later.

And, there's the "I like the previous model better" problem. I bought a new model car about 17 years ago, all options, great car for eight years. The next year, that model car was more expensive with a lot less stuff, and the styling changes weren't as nice. Glad I bought what was available instead of waiting.

. How do the release of the new line make my 15A's sound bad? IF the 15A's still sound good, as the day I bought them, then why the disappointment? Is it because I did not get the latest-and-greatest offering? Just something to think about...

It's called "perceived obsolescence".

Yes, it's a real thing. If you're seeking the "improvements" made to speaker technology in the last 5-6 years, then yes - you are best to wait. No need to be impatient. You already have a great sounding speaker in the 13A.

[NOTE though, I'd challenge any meaningful improvement in the last 5-6 years, or even the last 15-16 years; speaker technology has been pretty stable. Despite the never-ending onslaught of new models, the sound quality at today's audio shows is not really any better than it was even 20-30 years ago, really......is it?]

Most importantly though: The release of a new model has the propensity to make the existing line drop significantly in value, overnight - who wants their new asset to drop in value unnecessarily quickly? So be patient would be my advice.

New Audio Equipment is not an investment. Whether you buy the 15A's or the newest version it will be worth half as much the day you buy it, assuming you can find someone to buy them. Demo them and buy them if you can and because you like them. I bought the 15A's when they first came out, very happy, they may be the last set of speakers I ever buy as they do everything (In my 40's). I decided to buy new and from a dealer to support the industry. If I have a regret it would be that I focused for too long on the gear and not on the room.

Also don't buy the 15A's unless you have a big room, they need a space to fill to get the most out of them. At first I had ethos and they sounded better in a small room them the 15A's but after I moved them to a larger room it made all the difference. Now that I have padded the whole thing it sounds so good.

I’m running esl 15s in a small room , I’m sure in late it would open even more but arc makes base sound good in a smaller rooms as well .
Spoke with ML dealer and asked same question about esl 15replacement, was told that he did not know about new replacement coming soon

I can’t imagine they’ll be changing that line anytime soon.

That said, if you want more take the previous suggestion and find a good set of CLX used.

Buy some used CLX if your room is large enough and let someone else take the depreciation hit.
(y)(y)
I am using CLXs in room approximately 12' x 20' x 8'. I will say that this living room space does open into a foyer and adjacent dining room which adds to the available volume.

It's called "perceived obsolescence".

Yes, it's a real thing. If you're seeking the "improvements" made to speaker technology in the last 5-6 years, then yes - you are best to wait. No need to be impatient. You already have a great sounding speaker in the 13A.

[NOTE though, I'd challenge any meaningful improvement in the last 5-6 years, or even the last 15-16 years; speaker technology has been pretty stable. Despite the never-ending onslaught of new models, the sound quality at today's audio shows is not really any better than it was even 20-30 years ago, really......is it?]

Most importantly though: The release of a new model has the propensity to make the existing line drop significantly in value, overnight - who wants their new asset to drop in value unnecessarily quickly? So be patient would be my advice.

What you are saying is so true. Do not be a victim of marketing. Buy the best gear you can afford and stick to it for years to come. I attended an audio show in October and was truly disappointed. They had new gear there for the sake of being new. But in terms of actual sound quality, some of them were worse than stuff that was demoed a few years ago. Hang on to your precious money!!!!

I've not heard it personally, but that would be my dream combo.

That said, I'm breaking in two BF210s right now. I'm sure they're amazing with ANY ML speaker... and probably just about any speaker, period.

@Allen Rich: I have CLXs and 1 BF210 corrected with PBK/ARC and they are in a whole different league than the CLSz's and pair of Entec LF-20s (with new cones) they replaced. Of course, other things have been updated to match, but wow, you will be very very happy with CLXs and BF subs.

Latest posts

Back