Anybody Cleaned the Panels on the Clarity?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattables

Reaction score
I have had my pair of ML Clarity for about 18 months, and I can’t see any dust on the panels to clean. I have tried a vacuum, but I can’t see that it is doing anything. I have even used a flashlight looking through the panels to try and find dust, but I can’t. They still sound great, so I am not complaining. Could the Low Voltage Panels be the cause of this? Do they not attract as much dust?

Matt
system #34

mattables said:
I have had my pair of ML Clarity for about 18 months, and I can’t see any dust on the panels to clean. I have tried a vacuum, but I can’t see that it is doing anything. I have even used a flashlight looking through the panels to try and find dust, but I can’t. They still sound great, so I am not complaining. Could the Low Voltage Panels be the cause of this? Do they not attract as much dust?

Matt
system #34

I have never seen visible dust on the panels, but my wife dusts the house all the time, so I know it's in the air. I vacuum my panels every 6 weeks or so, or when I remember and can unplug them for 24 hours. I'm not sure if it's in my head, but it seems as though they sound a little cleaner and brighter after vacuuming. I figure, even if it is in my head, it's free, so why not?

More recently, I had was getting a airy buzzing in one of the panels that was not fixed by vacuuming. Contacted ML and they sent instructions for removing the panel and washing. The buzzing went away before I had a chance to remove the panels, so I haven't done it. It doesn't look very difficult, but I wouldn't do it unless the panels are dirty enough that they start buzzing, or have a few years on them.

One other thing ML mentioned is to never use any kind of spray cleaner around your speakers because it will get on the panels.

Steve said:
Contacted ML and they sent instructions for removing the panel and washing.

Steve,

If you have those instructions in electronic form, could you email me a copy? I figure, "Why not give it a try!" Thanks for your help.

Matt

Steve said:
Contacted ML and they sent instructions for removing the panel and washing.

Would love the same. Or maybe you could attach to post. Thanks

In the Tweaks section , I just posted the Shower Method of cleaning ML's

I have Quest and Aerius i's, the Guide was based on my Quest,
The only thing I can't help with is getting the Stator out of your Clarity's.

I am sure that someone else could chime in here with the How to.

I just had a quick look at the ML site, and the screws down the back seem to be the way to get the Stator out, can anyone confirm this?????

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Taz said:
Would love the same. Or maybe you could attach to post. Thanks

It is a 3 page pdf, that I'm not sure how to post. If you send me an email, I will reply with the file.

Hunting for Issues?

mattables said:

Matt
system #34

I think that we as "audiophiles" look for problems where none exist. Why take apart a speaker that is working perfectly, has no visible dust and is only 1.5 years old. I've got to believe that you risk more damage to the speaker by taking it apart unnecessarily then any other thing, outside of abuse, that you might do to it.

The washing certainly seems to be very useful when necessary but it doesn't seem to me that it needs to be done at this time. I would wait until it is necessary. My $.02 worth.

Back