Any thoughts about Summits on thick carpet

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesom

Reaction score
Though I have not done anything yet, I am wondering what effect my very plush and thick carpet has on the downward facing woofer. I am wondering if the speaker is better off on a solid surface. When playing at higher volumes the woofer does interact with the floor itself. This creates an interesting visceral effect, but I cannot say it leads to truly accurate reproduction. I was toying with the idea of putting them on granite slabs am I crazy??????

Makes sense that a reflective surface might be better, but depends on overall acoustics of your listening room. Very simple to test out with a cheap slab of wood (or better yet, tile), and hear for yourself, before investing in granite squares.

sleepysurf said:
Makes sense that a reflective surface might be better, but depends on overall acoustics of your listening room. Very simple to test out with a cheap slab of wood (or better yet, tile), and hear for yourself, before investing in granite squares.
Hola...good advise. You can cut the table with the exact same size of your Summits, so it will work as a reflecting surface...I think this will solve your problem, and also you won´t see it...and a very smart solution. Sleepysurf, I think you neil the problem and great solution. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

I also have my Summits on carpet and I noticed the spikes are short if they are screwed all the way in to the foot. They only protrude about 3/4" which doesn't penetrate all the way through most carpet. I therefore adjusted mine to raise the woofer higher off the carpet and to allow the spikes to penetrate fully.

If you look carefully the spike tips have a hole drilled through them which is very useful for extending all the spikes evenly. I inserted a toothpick through the hole and backed each one out exactly 5 turns (there are enough threads on the spikes to go further if you need to). You'll need someone to help you tilt the speaker to the left and right so you can get to the spikes easily and safely. This effectively raised the woofer off the carpet and made an improvement to the bass without having to put the speakers on a platform.

The new combination feet/spike design on the Summits is very well done.

Last edited:
Craig said:
I also have my Summits on carpet and I noticed the spikes are short if they are screwed all the way in to the foot. They only protrude about 3/4" which doesn't penetrate all the way through most carpet. I therefore adjusted mine to raise the woofer higher off the carpet and to allow the spikes to penetrate fully.

If you look carefully the spike tips have a hole drilled through them which is very useful for extending all the spikes evenly. I inserted a toothpick through the hole and backed each one out exactly 5 turns (there are enough threads on the spikes to go further if you need to). You'll need someone to help you tilt the speaker to the left and right so you can get to the spikes easily and safely. This effectively raised the woofer off the carpet and made an improvement to the bass without having to put the speakers on a platform.

The new combination feet/spike design on the Summits is very well done.

I noticed the same thing at first that the speakers were almost into my carpet, so I have them fully extended and secure. What I am finding is that the speakers are harmonizing with the floor with some of the lower frequencies.

Since the system is on my first floor, composed of plywood over joists, there is not a lot of damping. That is why I wonder if I put some notable mass (Granite Slabs) underneath the speaker it may dampen the interaction between my floor and the speaker.

I agree that I should find a cheap way to experiment before I spend money having custom fabricated slabs made. So I will make time to go to the local big box home improvement store and see what I can find. Thanks all for your help and suggestions......Steve

It depends on your overall listening environment, but I would have thought carpet is the best surface for any speaker. Best bet is to try it out - but I certainly wouldn't consider losing the carpet between the speaker and the listening chair.

Other than the mechanical issue, height, I can't see how the carpet will affect the sound of the woofer. At the frequencies produced the carpet will be functionally transparent to the soundwaves and will in theory have no effect.

Latest posts

Back