Any Recomended Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
After replacing every thing in my system ,except the interconects and speaker cables ,I relized that to fully get this new system to mesh and perform to its potential, I better get some new cabling!! :rolleyes: I would like to hear some opinions on what you fellas have had good luck with :rolleyes: , I am running a Krell and need a nice nuetral balanced interconect to my Theta Miles, as for cables I am looking to by-wire my Quests!! I have heard good things about Nordost Blue Heaven , but any Info , (especially those running Krell ) would help , I know cables and Interconects are a personal preferance ,but lets hear what you have to say thanks C.A.P

Last edited:
CAP...just do some searches here and you will find some threads about cables. Like you said, it is a personal thing, so trying them out with your stuff will be the best way.

Companies like The Cable Company (www.fatwyre.com) has loaners for you to try out. You can also go to your local stores to see what they have to offer.

Dan

C.A.P said:
After replacing every thing in my system ,except the interconects and speaker cables ,I relized that to fully get this new system to mesh and perform to its potential, I better get some new cabling!! :rolleyes: I would like to hear some opinions on what you fellas have had good luck with :rolleyes: , I am running a Krell and need a nice nuetral balanced interconect to my Theta Miles, as for cables I am looking to by-wire my Quests!! I have heard good things about Nordost Blue Heaven , but any Info , (especially those running Krell ) would help , I know cables and Interconects are a personal preferance ,but lets hear what you have to say thanks C.A.P

I have had some good luck with Transparent XLRs and interconnects. Right now I am running MIT speaker cables but I have heard so many good things about the Nordost Blue Heavens that I have purchased a bi-wire pair and just have not hooked them up yet. Prior to the MITs I was running Transparent Ultras and have to say that I like the MITs better for the speakers. I tried MIT XLRs and interconnects but like the Transparents better. If you have not purchased something by the time I have the Nordost's broke in, I'll be happy to give you my impression of them. All of the speaker cables I have mentioned were bi-wire. Forgot to mention that. :confused:

Let me see if I can remember all the cables metioned or used by people here:

Audioquest, Nordost, DH Lab, Harmonic Technologies, MIT, Van den Hul, Transparent, Monster, Rad Shack, Analysis, Kimber, PS Audio, Straightwire, Tara Labs, and there are some DIY versions our there with VH Audio, DIY Audio, and the Risch Belden

I think that is about it :) Not too big a list to consider :eek:

Again, cables are a very system and user specific area. You need to try them out and find the ones you like best for the budget you can afford.

I have recently been testing/auditioning some IC's from the list above in my system. I have tested ones that were $50 for 1 M, up to $400 for 1 M, and for me and my perferences, tastes, and budget, I like the Audioquest cables.

Dan

Last edited:
Have you traded up...?

Dan,

Sooooo, are you planning to slowly replace your interconnects i. e., "DIY cables with DH Labs Untimate RCA's", for Audioquest - "Sidewinders", "Copperheads", "Diamonbacks", "King Cobras" or "Jaguars"? Please don't keep us on, 'tender hooks'... Which Audioquest interconnects do you think, are the very best, to your ears?

Because, you must know by now, Dan..., I trust your ears... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Robin said:
Sooooo, are you planning to slowly replace your interconnects i. e., "DIY cables with DH Labs Untimate RCA's", for Audioquest - "Sidewinders", "Copperheads", "Diamonbacks", "King Cobras" or "Jaguars"? Please don't keep us on, 'tender hooks'... Which Audioquest interconnects do you think, are the very best, to your ears? Because, you must know by now, Dan..., I trust your ears... :D

Ha ha ha....well I guess the pressure is on... :D The DIY with DH Lab was not a bad cable at all especially at $90 for 1 Meter. The Belden had a slight harshness in the upper mid/highs, and the VH Audio was bright sounding (silver coated copper) and was supposed to get smoother after a few hundred hours. :confused: In a bunch of the cables that I have tried, I like solid conductors over stranded ones - listening history showed me this. So that is why I tried the Audioquest......also Zip (Joe) here recommended to try them out too.

I first tried out he Copperhead. $75 for 1 Meter (new - seen them for $40 used) and it was one of the best sounding cables for the price that I have heard in awhile. Not THE best sounding cable, but very musical right out of the box - no harshness, bite, etc. that "most" will say they hear with new stuff. So I hen bought a used King off Audiogon and liked the improvement I got for $25 (used price) over a new Copperhead.

So lets see here...I have tried: Audioquest Copperhead, King Cobra; Nordost Black Knight, Solar Wind, Blue Heaven, Red Dawn; DH-Lab Air Matrix, Revelation (the only Silver Cable that I liked); DIY Belden, VH Audio, Ultimate RCA, Eichamnn Bullets; Rad Shack Gold Ends; Monster Cable; Straightwire Rhapsody, Virtuoso.

So, for cost versus performance I like the King Cobra's - A used King can be picked up for around $100 or so for 1 Meter. New, the King's are $175 and the Jaguars are $300 for 1M. I have yet to try out one of the DBS versions (Zip (Joe) here swears by the DBS versions) I will be keeping my eye out looking for a Jaguar used for a good price just to see for myself. The Jaguar is the same cable construction as the King except for the DBS but for me and my budget the Jag's are too pricey new...

BTW...I have also wanted to try out some Kimber Hero, and some Harmonic Tech Truth Links....maybe in the near future I can find some used ones to try out.

Dan

Last edited:
Now I know..., I can sleep tonight...

Dan,

Thank you for your very informative and definiative post, as to what interconnect cables you preferr... :D It is good to know, that you like the Audioquest - "King Cobra's". I like them too...

You Joe and I should start an, 'Interconnects R Us', club... :D
I really do, appreciate your advice and opinion.

Thanks again... :D

-Robin

Great feed back guys , thanks for some insight , I will keep ya,all posted on my progress , any other info is appreciated C.A.P :cool:

test drive before you spend

http://www.usedcable.com/
You should test drive the cables that you are thinking about purchasing.
Many cables are high priced and really not that good. I prefer Acoustic Zen with my system. Listen for yourself. I couldn't believe the differences in cable sound. I spent weeks hooking and unhooking between the companies and this company is great to work with. Good luck

DTB300 said:
Ha ha ha....well I guess the pressure is on... :D The DIY with DH Lab was not a bad cable at all especially at $90 for 1 Meter. The Belden had a slight harshness in the upper mid/highs, and the VH Audio was bright sounding (silver coated copper) and was supposed to get smoother after a few hundred hours. :confused: In a bunch of the cables that I have tried, I like solid conductors over stranded ones - listening history showed me this. So that is why I tried the Audioquest......also Zip (Joe) here recommended to try them out too.

I first tried out he Copperhead. $75 for 1 Meter (new - seen them for $40 used) and it was one of the best sounding cables for the price that I have heard in awhile. Not THE best sounding cable, but very musical right out of the box - no harshness, bite, etc. that "most" will say they hear with new stuff. So I hen bought a used King off Audiogon and liked the improvement I got for $25 (used price) over a new Copperhead.

So lets see here...I have tried: Audioquest Copperhead, King Cobra; Nordost Black Knight, Solar Wind, Blue Heaven, Red Dawn; DH-Lab Air Matrix, Revelation (the only Silver Cable that I liked); DIY Belden, VH Audio, Ultimate RCA, Eichamnn Bullets; Rad Shack Gold Ends; Monster Cable; Straightwire Rhapsody, Virtuoso.

So, for cost versus performance I like the King Cobra's - A used King can be picked up for around $100 or so for 1 Meter. New, the King's are $175 and the Jaguars are $300 for 1M. I have yet to try out one of the DBS versions (Zip (Joe) here swears by the DBS versions) I will be keeping my eye out looking for a Jaguar used for a good price just to see for myself. The Jaguar is the same cable construction as the King except for the DBS but for me and my budget the Jag's are too pricey new...

BTW...I have also wanted to try out some Kimber Hero, and some Harmonic Tech Truth Links....maybe in the near future I can find some used ones to try out.

Dan

Dan,

I am glad your happy with the king cobras, their build is basically the same as the anacondas, audioquest 2nd from the top interconnect cable before the DBS series came out, cheetah has now taken its place.

I did really like the jaguar DBS interconnects they were a very well rounded cable that was very true to life and could disappear. I like them so much that I choose to sell them and go right to audioquest’s top cable the sold silver “SKY” interconnects. Now I don’t know if it was the cable or I already max’ed out the performance of my sunfire gear, but the sky’s did not give me very much of a jump in performance I was excepting over the jaguar? They are the best sounding cable I have ever used and the most realistic sounding cable I have ever heard, but they are way over that point of diminishing returns. I fell the jaguar is the best bang for the buck cable audioquest makes, but note I have not tried the king cobra. Before the jaguar I had the coral interconnects, the king cobra replaced in the line up.

Happy listening my friends.

timinwi said:
http://www.usedcable.com/ You should test drive the cables that you are thinking about purchasing.

FYI...In case people did not know...Used Cable is part of The Cable Company that I originally suggested at the beginning of this thread. They have some nice used cables, but it seems more of a selection can be found at Audiogon.

Dan

Zip3kx07 said:
I did really like the jaguar DBS interconnects they were a very well rounded cable that was very true to life and could disappear. I like them so much that I choose to sell them and go right to audioquest’s top cable the sold silver “SKY” interconnects. Now I don’t know if it was the cable or I already max’ed out the performance of my sunfire gear, but the sky’s did not give me very much of a jump in performance I was excepting over the jaguar?

This performance versus price is the thing that really struck me when testing all these IC's out. It appears once you get to a certain price point in a product line (does not matter which company), the change in the next up level cable is just not that much of a difference in sound, but it is a difference in cost. Again all of us need to listen for ourselves and our budgets. But from this small testing I did, $125 (used or new) for 1 Meter is a good price point for a very nice sounding IC. Remember for a used price of $125 you can probably get a cable that costs $200 - $250 new.

They are the best sounding cable I have ever used and the most realistic sounding cable I have ever heard, but they are way over that point of diminishing returns. I fell the jaguar is the best bang for the buck cable audioquest makes, but note I have not tried the king cobra. Before the jaguar I had the coral interconnects, the king cobra replaced in the line up.

I will keep my eye out for a Jaguar, or once my local store has some in stock, I will see if I can get a demo to compare against the Kings and let you know what I find.

I recently picked up a used Blue Heaven cable and I still like the King Cobra better in side by side comparison connected from my CD/SACD to ARC Pre Amp. To me, the Blue lacked in the lower mids and upper bass, and was slightly brighter in the highs than the King. Also, vocals had more of an edge to them with the Blue Heaven than the King. Could the slightly excentuation of the highs be due to a reduced lower mid and bass....possibly. I can see the Blue Heaven being an excellent IC for people with an all Tube system.

With regards to the Blue Heaven, since my HT Reciever has a very warm presentation to it (used for Movies and Three Channel RCA Living Stereo Classical SACD's) , I installed the Blue Heaven between the HT Receiver (Main Pre Out) and my Pre Amp (HT Passthrough) and it helped open up the sound slightly.

Joe...when you get that D1 in, let us know what you think. This is a processor that has been on my "Wish List" for sometime now. Probably something I will never be able to pickup unless I win the lottery or some rich person stops by the house, just to donate some money to me :D

Dan

DTB300 said:
CAP...just do some searches here and you will find some threads about cables. Like you said, it is a personal thing, so trying them out with your stuff will be the best way.

Companies like The Cable Company (www.fatwyre.com) has loaners for you to try out. You can also go to your local stores to see what they have to offer.

Dan

Thanks for posting information about The Cable Company. They were/are very helpfull and are making my life simpler in trying to sift though the maze of cable options! :D

DTB300 said:

Audioquest, Nordost, DH Lab, Harmonic Technologies, MIT, Van den Hul, Transparent, Monster, Rad Shack, Analysis, Kimber, PS Audio, Straightwire, Tara Labs, and there are some DIY versions our there with VH Audio, DIY Audio, and the Risch Belden

If you are purchasing Nordost to lay under an area carpet, be sure to buy the highest quality underlayment mat pad to cover top and bottom. I had a few grains of dirt/sand work their way under the carpet and get between the wires and hardwood floor - not good. Use a rubber foam mat pad from a quality rug store - not the cheap stuff folded square in a bag.

MarkNewbie said:
I have had some good luck with Transparent XLRs and interconnects. Right now I am running MIT speaker cables but I have heard so many good things about the Nordost Blue Heavens that I have purchased a bi-wire pair and just have not hooked them up yet. Prior to the MITs I was running Transparent Ultras and have to say that I like the MITs better for the speakers. I tried MIT XLRs and interconnects but like the Transparents better. If you have not purchased something by the time I have the Nordost's broke in, I'll be happy to give you my impression of them. All of the speaker cables I have mentioned were bi-wire. Forgot to mention that. :confused:
Thanks for the info. Which Bi-wire cable from MIT had you been using?

DTB300 said:

Again, cables are a very system and user specific area. You need to try them out and find the ones you like best for the budget you can afford.

I have recently been testing/auditioning some IC's from the list above in my system. I have tested ones that were $50 for 1 M, up to $400 for 1 M, and for me and my perferences, tastes, and budget, I like the Audioquest cables.

Dan
I have a budget of US$1000 for each of the IC and US$1800 for a 12' Bi-wire.

DTB300 said:

Dan
I have a budget of US$1000 for each of the IC and US$1800 for a 12' Bi-wire. I preffer mellow sound (like that of tubes) for which I chose Tube Preamp and Plinius Power amp (and not Krell FBP300)

Last edited:
abhijit said:
Thanks for the info. Which Bi-wire cable from MIT had you been using?

I have been using the AVT 2's and I think they sound better than the Nordost's. But, like everyone else on here, it is just my opinion. Doesn't mean that it is wrong or right. Try some and see what you think for yourself is the only good advice that I can give.

Which MIT Cables are you using? Shotgun or Magnum Series? Is MIT more compatible than Transparent with Summit, Plinius amd Cary SLP05 pre-amp

abhijit,
You're not likely to get a response, I haven't seen a post from Mark in at least a year or so. I don't believe he keeps up with the forum any longer.

Latest posts

Back