Any Recomended Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fact or myth: Speaker cable length

So would Mythbusters find it plausible that speaker cable length for the mains needs to be the same length? What about if a center channel is used?

If left and right mains are different distances from the Amp; would it be better to have the cables shorter in the required length; or the shorter side having 4-7 feet of extra cable coiled on to it's self?

Thanks, Lee

Last edited:
Cables for M-L Speakers

I would agree with the advice that you have received regarding the need to audition various speaker cables before you buy. The Cable Company has a library of cables that you could compare. Length is also a factor. Depending on the transfer properties of a cable, some sound better at shorter lengths and some at longer lengths. I have been very happy with Nordost Valhalla cable because it is pretty neutral and uncolored compared to other cables, especially those that use networks (like MIT). However, everything in the sound chain, including amplifier, front end and the interconnecting cables will also play a role in the ultimate sound that you will get.

I don't know about the science of it but the cables that I am running, are a 10 foot set and they are better than any short set I have ran even if I don't need the full 10 feet. Then again it could just be the good cables !

For what it's worth . . . . . .

Here is the text of an email exchange I recently had with a very saavy MartinLogan dealer who sells ML bulk speaker cable (that some dealers carry.) The italics are mine.

Lou,

Thanks so much for your reply -- really!!

I want to respond separately to your many tidbits ;--)
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Hello again,[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]OK, well, hmmmm....let's start with basic ideas. Generally speaking, most amplifiers are designed around the use with reactive loads. i.e. Dynamic speaker systems. As such, many popular brands of cables use stranded designs which can work very effectively. The stranding adds a bit of capacitance which loads the amplifier and, in general, results in a more musical sound. (Now, there are exceptions...like early Jeff Rowland amplifiers...but he was way ahead of his time)[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]So more capacitance in the speaker cable increases the impedance the amp "sees" as the load? (including the speaker of course)[/FONT]​

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]Speakers like the Martin Logans or Magnepans are not dynamic. Electrostats and Isodynamics are far more capacitive in loads than reactive. Quite a bit more, actually.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]I didn't know Maggies were properly termed "isodynamic" (and I'm not sure what it means either ;--) Nor did I know Maggies presented a capacitive load like stats. Interesting.[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=arial,helvetica]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]As a result, using stranded cable designs with many amplifiers on these products results in a loss of definition at both extremes and a sort of bump in the low midrange....a sort of Grado phenomenon.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]So you're saying that capacitive cable combined w/ capacitive stats just makes stats even harder for a lot of amps to drive?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Therefore, I typically recommend the use of solid core designs with such speakers for optimum results. Certainly some designs with low strand counts can work very well...i.e. under 100 but that is a case by case experiment. The results are not price controlled at all but rather strand controlled. Obviously, once the right design is found, quality will matter. Much like diesel fuel...in the right vehicle, its great...in the wrong one and its a major repair bill and no performance.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]The Martin Logan cable is a low strand design but not solid core like Audioquest. It was designed more for broad based applications of lower quality than you currently possess. Will it be better than what you are using...well, depends upon how your amplifier likes the number of strands in each design tested and if you are listening to the musical performance itself. If you are looking for spacial things on recordings that are multitracked.... I can't help you find things that don't truly exist. Those are fictions and anyone's guess is right.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Yeah, I know what you mean -- the subjectivist "if you like what you hear, it's right" crowd![/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]I sense you listen to music...you picked up on the ML subs speed. Dont' forget to try 270 degrees. You might be surprised.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]I'm gonna try it right now! I'll let you know. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Well, back to winding down my time here in the midwest. I am leaving the business here and may start anew in Salt Lake City. Few folks appreicate knowledge...most want price. There little room for guys like us.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]LouHamilton[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]AudibleElegance[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]www.audibleelegance.com[/FONT]
[/FONT]

These are hand made with a few solid runs of Teflon coated wire , and a drain shield over each + cover and -cover. I do not know the full proprietary specs of these wires but they are good. The best I have had in my system. I have heard none better for the cost, or for that matter at any cost.

Back