Any opinions on Cary Cinema amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_74

Reaction score
It's finally time to upgrade! I'm currently running a Sunfire TGA 5200 for my music and home theater needs. I've owned it for almost 5 years--great amp. Plenty of power with 200x5 into 8 ohms and the magic Bob Carver tracking down-converter design.

I'm looking to replace it with a Cary Cinema 7.125. This is their newer 7 channel amp which replaces the Cinema 7. Rated at 7x125 into 8 ohms and 7x190 into 4 ohms.

My concern is it's ability to drive my Vantages. Do you guys think it's got enough guts? Will it be more musical and refined than my Sunfire? All opinions are welcome and appreciated!

I heard that cary you mention but not with stats and it was great to my ears but i dont have alot of experience with amps.

Sorry I just don't think that's enough juice to run your speakers. I run the massive krell Ksa 300s just for my fronts (sl3) crossed over at 80 hz and take that amp to its limits when I listen / watch blu ray concerts... This amp puts out 600 watts at 4ohms, 1200 watts at 2 ohms and so on...
With ML's you can ever have enough power reserves IMHO.. Good luck!

It's finally time to upgrade! I'm currently running a Sunfire TGA 5200 for my music and home theater needs. I've owned it for almost 5 years--great amp. Plenty of power with 200x5 into 8 ohms and the magic Bob Carver tracking down-converter design.

I'm looking to replace it with a Cary Cinema 7.125. This is their newer 7 channel amp which replaces the Cinema 7. Rated at 7x125 into 8 ohms and 7x190 into 4 ohms.

My concern is it's ability to drive my Vantages. Do you guys think it's got enough guts? Will it be more musical and refined than my Sunfire? All opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Why are you replacing the Sunfire 5200? Do you have a 7.1 speaker setup now? The 5200 drives the ML easily. 200W at 8ohms, 400W into 4 ohms with 80 amps peak to drive those low impedances of the ML speakers? If you have 7.1 then get a stereo amp for the extra channels.

I have the TGA7401 and it laughs at my Spires 24/7:ROFL: !

Why are you replacing the Sunfire 5200? Do you have a 7.1 speaker setup now? The 5200 drives the ML easily. 200W at 8ohms, 400W into 4 ohms with 80 amps peak to drive those low impedances of the ML speakers? If you have 7.1 then get a stereo amp for the extra channels.

I love the Sunfire. The verdict is still out on whether I prefer the Cary over it or not. Aesthetically, it's a nice match to my Cinema 12 and I know Cary is well known for making great amps. The extra 2 channels is important as I plan to go 7.1 eventually. It does generate considerably more heat than the Sunfire, but it's an A/B class amp.

I have watched several movies at about 5dB below reference with the Cary and it performs quite well. There was maybe a slight bit of compression on really dynamic scenes. I need to go back and play the Sunfire on those same scenes.

On music, the Cary really makes the Vantages come alive and sing at higher volumes starting with about -20dB. I don't know if that is a sign of the speaker saying "Give me more power" or a characteristic of the amp but it is noticeable. I think the fact that the Vantage has a powered woofer does reduce the demand on the amp, but obviously the panel is a demanding load.

Another option for me would be to save up for the Cinema 7.250. That's a beast. I also considered the TGA7401. I mainly wanted to try something different.

+1 on this.

I'd consider getting a used Pass Labs to power the front L/R and us the 5.1 for the rest.

Back