Any good media streamers coming out, or just released lately?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wink. That's not what I'd even remotely call reprehensible... not that *you* used the term.

One can either stay with their unit, knowing that it's great at what it does now but isn't going to improve beyond that, or they can sell it or trade it in and move to MkII.

That all sounds pretty reasonable to me.

@JLasher22443, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Holo May vs the PS Audio DAC, if you care to share them in the future.

Yah I plan to post in the DAC thread once it gets a little more broken in. Its been on and running since I got it January 8th. I've been getting mixed numbers for break-in so I'm going for 500 hours before I give it another in depth listen. I did try it out this past Wednesday at around the 250 hour mark and the low end did improve from my first listen.

No, not reprehensible at all. I am just in a position where I am looking for a new unit that will last me for decent while and has the firmware support to keep my investment somewhat relative.
Dan

No, not reprehensible at all. I am just in a position where I am looking for a new unit that will last me for decent while and has the firmware support to keep my investment somewhat relative.
Dan
Completely understand. But I'd reach out to them before writing them off completely because I'm almost 100% sure that the Firmware was only provided for free to change the Sound Characteristics on the DSD not to update its firmware like a computer would. But I could be wrong. And you can download the old Firmware and sound signatures from past and change it up if you get bored of say Sunlight. If you ask them on their forum or even email them they are quick to respond within say 24hrs.

but if it means "We're not spending money developing software / firmware improvements for it," I have zero issues with that type of decision.

Oh wow, I certainly do. A very big issue in fact.

What if the firmware update is for a security vulnerability that is putting your entire internal network at risk? What if it is for a new Wi-Fi standard or communications standard you need? Eg IPv6. ? What about for a new file format.……ok, MQA might suck, but what about something else you do want?

When you’ve spent $10,000 then you don’t want these sorts of things holding you back, surely?

Realistically though, IT stuff does become obsolete…….. that’s why I’ve always shouted to anyone who can hear that it is prudent to separate the IT and audio side of your listening chain.

The IT side can be done by a Raspberry Pi or any such cheap thing that you can upgrade at will and throw away when it gets too obsolete, and you have complete freedom to choose the DAC that suits you.

Ironic it is that a $50 ‘Pi can still be upgraded with the latest versions of the Debian OS, but a $10,000 PS Audio can’t. Oh jolly yes, reprehensible it is indeed!

Well, I'm... exceptionally thorough about security. My home is protected by a commercial firewall, so while I agree about your concerns regarding security, I don't rely on any IOT-like devices to provide that security. That is, however, the one quality I'd hope PS Audio addresses, if their OS is exposed to security weaknesses.

If a new file format comes out, I still have allllll my prior source material I can listen to, and if I want to read the greatest newest latest file format, I'd personally not be calling on PS Audio to update retired hardware to handle it.

And how did the $5,999 Direct Stream DAC become a $10,000 DAC?

Edit: Nix that. I see you're dealing with Australian dollars vs US dollars...

Well, I'm... exceptionally thorough about security. My home is protected by a commercial firewall,

Obviously not too thorough. A firewall can only protect you from so much - a vulnerability (by definition) may not be isolated by the firewall (unless the firewall is configured for nothing <> nothing - in which you may as well just turn your internet off. What if (for argument's sake) the vulnerability allows control of your internal network through the port that the streamer talks to Spotify on?

Of course, the risk with a streamer is lower - there just isn't the installed base for anyone to bother trying to find vulnerabilities - but "security by obscurity" is never a good ethos.

Ok. Almost two years after starting this post I pulled the trigger on a streamer/DAC. I bought a Hifi Rose RS150B. It’s sitting on the floor awaiting installation…I’ll post my findings after I get it setup and run in.

Attachments

• FD549FC9-ACA9-4614-A972-0F605D95CD9D.png
    FD549FC9-ACA9-4614-A972-0F605D95CD9D.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2C89C38A-CECC-4361-B896-ADD747D3CB44.png
    2C89C38A-CECC-4361-B896-ADD747D3CB44.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
Spent the whole day running this incredible device through its paces…all I can say is wow! what a streamer! A true high-end, universal, streamer/DAC…more on performance after break-in.
F18F0ADC-0F2F-4700-BAD8-3E4C00267A92.jpeg
24B22D3B-B5A1-4CA3-80C6-FB704D193A08.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok. Almost two years after starting this post I pulled the trigger on a streamer/DAC. I bought a Hifi Rose RS150B. It’s sitting on the floor awaiting installation…I’ll post my findings after I get it setup and run in.
What sort of video signal is it able to output? Can it do Dolby Vision ? It says 4k but doesnt get specific. I guess its not really for streaming movies for home theater, the more I read about it. Mainly for music? I dont see any movie streaming apps listed.

Last edited:
Make no mistake, this unit is a high-end audio streamer/dac first and foremost. They are very vague on their site as well as the manual only saying it will pass 4K video and render every video file type under the sun, but nothing about audio through hdmi. I asked Hifi Rose about this and they confirmed that it would pass digital audio signals through hdmi.. I run the hdmi through my AVP and let it process the digital signal. Works perfect. My goal was to be able to render all content from my NAS in one place..hi-res music being first priority; concerts and movies second. The unit does it all beautifully.
It will also stream MQA and DSD512.
I’ve only spent one day with it hooked up and so far I am thoroughly impressed.
Dan

Today, I will do some 2ch listening though my Coda 07x preamp and Coda Continuum #8 amp. This will be where the rubber meets the road for me with the Rose’s evaluation..standby.

Today, I will do some 2ch listening though my Coda 07x preamp and Coda Continuum #8 amp. This will be where the rubber meets the road for me with the Rose’s evaluation..standby.
I've looked at the Rose and look forward to more of your impressions.
I'm going to give my 13as some free reign later today when I'm alone in the house.
Ah, some 2ch listening, it's tough work but someone has to - well, you know.

Make no mistake, this unit is a high-end audio streamer/dac first and foremost.

………………then….

it would pass digital audio signals through hdmi.. I run the hdmi through my AVP and let it process the digital signal.

Why you would anyone want a high end DAC, just to pass digital signals through HDMI to an AV processor?

Why you would anyone want a high end DAC, just to pass digital signals through HDMI to an AV processor?
I was responding to a question about hdmi output. I explained how I connect for viewing video from my NAS. All audio is sent XLR out to my Coda Pre-Amp utilizing the extremely good DAC in the Rose. The ability to render videos through the same device is a huge bonus..

I was responding to a question about hdmi output. I explained how I connect for viewing video from my NAS. All audio is sent XLR out to my Coda Pre-Amp utilizing the extremely good DAC in the Rose. The ability to render videos through the same device is a huge bonus..

Cool - thanks for the clarity.

I was wondering if you tried that just for the convenience of it - and a convenient function it is if you have a common audio / video room.

Yes. I have a hybrid, hi-end 2-ch and a decent surround system with a whole-house audio system wrapped up into one rack…not an easy thing to achieve, but necessary for my house now.

In the $5k range for a Streamer I'd recommend the Lumin T2 or the Moon by SimAudio 280D. I currently own 280D and its a great Streaming DAC. I've been comparing it right now in my system against the Holo May KTE and the NAIM Uniti Atom. The Atom is for my office and headphone setup and does outperform the 280D by a little in musicality. It's more analog sounding and closer to vinyl. Of course both are beaten out by the May when it comes to detail retrieval but for under $4k both perform amazingly.

Also I had the Lumin U1 mini as well in my room and did enjoy it. When paired with the PS Audio DSD, it was the closest thing I have ever had in my room to the dCS Bartok in all out performance. Like so close that I decided not to pull the trigger on the dCS and wait for the new version from PS Audio before spending an extra $10k on the dCS.

So I'd recommend the following in this order only because I have had the units or their smaller sibling in my system and loved them. The Auralic I have not had but I hear great things from multiple dealers that its a great streamer.
  1. Lumin T2 Network Music Player - $4500
  2. Moon by SimAudio 280D - $3900 (More Digital and Refined) or the Naim ND5 XS2 Slim Chassis Network Player - $3999 (More Tube like sound)
  3. AURALiC Altair G1 Digital Preamp / Streamer / DAC - $3249
As far as the HiFi Rose; they are a new company as far as I can read and I'm not keen on buying something new right out of the gate. Who knows how long they will be in business and be able to support your gear. But it definitely looks Future-Fi in its concept with streaming Video and Audio. Something Apple should let the Mac Mini do.
I am ready to enter the streaming world. The Rose 250 looks fun but in reading the support board questions it seems the app can be shaky in use. I am seriously interested in the Auralic G1.1. The Naim is also interesting. I'm using Amazon HD now but not sure I could use it with the Naim. Anyone have experience with the Auralic? ( love the name)
Thanks

Latest posts

Back