Any good media streamers coming out, or just released lately?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It uses an ES9038PRO Sabre chip, sample rates PCM 32/768 and native DSD512…
I am looking for a DAC and streamer combo for space concerns. Obviously I’m still looking for the right unit to pull the trigger on..

Yes. Great looking unit, but out of my budget. Over the last 2+ years of researching my budget went from $2k to $3k now to $5k. I have looked hard at the T2…nice unit.

I'm extremely happy with the T2, not just for the unit's performance but the ease of using it through their app.

If you were closer, I'd let you borrow mine to test. I *think* Upscale Audio offers a 30-day return policy, but you'd have to check their site to make sure I'm not wrong about that.

They also sell an improved power supply - external, requires mods that void the warranty - but I haven't bought it yet as I wanted to use it for at least a year before abandoning the warranty. I have it calendared for later this month...

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/sbooster-botw-p-p-mkii-power-supply

Are you running an NAS or just using it as a streamer and not a renderer? I ask because I run a synology NAS and want to make sure there’s no compatibility issues with rendering the files from there.

I’m just using it as a streamer, but I did buy a high-res album yesterday and download it to a usb flash drive. I was able to select any of the different versions - DSD, 192/24, etc - and easily play them back.

The manual claims support for NAS sources. The Lumin devices *do* need to be wired for the Ethernet connection, though some people have adapted high-performance WiFi for it, supposedly successfully. I believe Upscale Audio has a solution like that as well, though I prefer to stick with hard-wiring.

I’m just using it as a streamer, but I did buy a high-res album yesterday and download it to a usb flash drive. I was able to select any of the different versions - DSD, 192/24, etc - and easily play them back.

The manual claims support for NAS sources. The Lumin devices *do* need to be wired for the Ethernet connection, though some people have adapted high-performance WiFi for it, supposedly successfully. I believe Upscale Audio has a solution like that as well, though I prefer to stick with hard-wiring.
Have you seen the Hifi Rose RS150B? It has a similar DAC, ESS9038PRO ….. if you have a second, take a look and tell me what you think.

https://eng.hifirose.com/rs150

Sorry, I'm not familiar with it.

My personal opinion is I don't want hardware with essential displays. When that fails, the unit either needs an expensive repair or it's a paperweight.

I'm sure you're doing all the research on that product though. Had I seen it, I'd definitely have considered it.

Ultimately I had to buy sight unseen and without audition, but I put my emphasis on the rave reviews for higher-end products in Lumin's line as well as all the great comments about their T2 performance in a number of forums. It didn't hurt that I was already an Upscale Audio customer and they're a main reseller for Lumin, plus the Lumin U.S. distributor is located near me and was kind enough to let me pick up the unit from them on a holiday weekend. (I bought through Upscale for a will-call pickup.)

Good luck with your decision!

The screen was my very first concern. Then I read that their parent company has been making televisions since the 50’s, but still a valid note of concern. The one thing I do like is the ability to render 4K video from my NAS. I also have a nice catalog of concerts on there, but I could always continue to render those through my Oppo UDP-205.
Decisions, decisions… it’s time to make one. At least I’ve finally narrowed it down to a couple of prospects. I will buy either from Upscale since they’re close to me.

In the $5k range for a Streamer I'd recommend the Lumin T2 or the Moon by SimAudio 280D. I currently own 280D and its a great Streaming DAC. I've been comparing it right now in my system against the Holo May KTE and the NAIM Uniti Atom. The Atom is for my office and headphone setup and does outperform the 280D by a little in musicality. It's more analog sounding and closer to vinyl. Of course both are beaten out by the May when it comes to detail retrieval but for under $4k both perform amazingly.

Also I had the Lumin U1 mini as well in my room and did enjoy it. When paired with the PS Audio DSD, it was the closest thing I have ever had in my room to the dCS Bartok in all out performance. Like so close that I decided not to pull the trigger on the dCS and wait for the new version from PS Audio before spending an extra $10k on the dCS.

So I'd recommend the following in this order only because I have had the units or their smaller sibling in my system and loved them. The Auralic I have not had but I hear great things from multiple dealers that its a great streamer.
  1. Lumin T2 Network Music Player - $4500
  2. Moon by SimAudio 280D - $3900 (More Digital and Refined) or the Naim ND5 XS2 Slim Chassis Network Player - $3999 (More Tube like sound)
  3. AURALiC Altair G1 Digital Preamp / Streamer / DAC - $3249
As far as the HiFi Rose; they are a new company as far as I can read and I'm not keen on buying something new right out of the gate. Who knows how long they will be in business and be able to support your gear. But it definitely looks Future-Fi in its concept with streaming Video and Audio. Something Apple should let the Mac Mini do.

I’ve been watching your thread discussing the Holo May, thinking about ordering one to pair with the T2. I’m eager to see your comments after you’ve lived with the May for a few months.

Edited to add: the PS Audio DAC is also a strong contender for me due to their long history in business, overall quality and trade-in / trade-up programs. Reviews for that unit are quite favorable too, though I have to admit I wasn't aware it's expected to be refreshed soon.

Last edited:
The PS Audio DSD was top of my list until I heard it is to be discontinued and not supported shortly. I’m sure their next offering will be upwards of $10k which unfortunately takes it off my plate..

The PS Audio DSD was top of my list until I heard it is to be discontinued and not supported shortly. I’m sure their next offering will be upwards of $10k which unfortunately takes it off my plate..

And not supported after a few years too? Wow, reprehensible.

First, what is the source of that information? (I don't mean our user "wink," I mean the actual source from which he received that information.)

Second, what is the definition of "not supported?" If that's "We won't repair it for you if there's a hardware failure," I agree that that *might* reflect badly on PS Audio*, but if it means "We're not spending money developing software / firmware improvements for it," I have zero issues with that type of decision.

* If the parts simply are not available any longer, I understand. If PS Audio *can* get the parts but chooses not to and we're just a couple years out of production, that seems wrong to me. If they decide ten years from now not to provide hardware repairs for it, I have no problem with that.

It's still supported from what I read on their forum; it's just they won't come out with any newer firmware that changes the Sound Profile from what I was told. So basically you are stuck with Sunlight as the last profile created by Ted. Also they haven't specced a price yet on MKII and I don't see them going over $8k for the unit. But who knows.

I don't have any PS Audio gear currently but I will test out the new DSD MKII when it comes out. That's just what I do. Hell I purchased a Raspberry PI and the Holo May to test because how else will I know if it sounds good to my ears? Reviews online are great and forums are awesome but without it being in my system and hearing it for myself I can't say a piece of equipment is better or worse then what I have. Hope that makes sense. LOL

I apologize for not being specific. Not supported as in no more new firmware updates. They have continued to update this awesome piece of equipment since it’s inception with new firmware to keep it competitive in the market. That will stop from what I read.. I will try to dig it out to post.

Thanks wink. That's not what I'd even remotely call reprehensible... not that *you* used the term.

One can either stay with their unit, knowing that it's great at what it does now but isn't going to improve beyond that, or they can sell it or trade it in and move to MkII.

That all sounds pretty reasonable to me.

@JLasher22443, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Holo May vs the PS Audio DAC, if you care to share them in the future.

Latest posts

Back