Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
NAME OF AMPLIFIER MANUFACTURER:

Anthem.

MODEL:

STR integrated.

MANUFACTURER SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE:

USD 4500.

BASIC SPECIFICATIONS:

200 watts @ 8ohms, 400 watts @ 4 ohms, 550 watts @ 2 ohms.

EXPERIENCE USING THIS INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER:

THE DARK SIDE:

The most important feature of Anthem STR integrated is Anthem Room Correction. I upgraded the ARC software to Genesis 32 bit. I accomplished this by uploading most recent version of ARC. Anthem STR does not malfunction rather ARC Genesis downloaded in desktop presents problems during operation. At least in my computer this was the case. After each successive running of ARC the corrected sonics are less pleasing to my ears. I used ARC five times. After last ARC try I compared corrected sound in which peaks and valleys in music were minimized to non ARC music. I found non ARC music sounds by far the best. Peaks and valleys are present in live music so why try to remove them.

On the unit volume increases and decreases in half decibel steps. Through the remote this process was not equal. Sometimes when I press the remote button once decibel increase by 2 steps instead of one step or half decibel.

All four line inputs not sound good from the word go. Line input had to be used for the sound to improve gradually. The usb input of the unit required run in too.

On first running the unit the sonics were subdued and the bass weak. However great improvement did take place over considerable period of time.

The overall sound has a slightly digital quality. In other words to a small extent STR sounds like a digital amplifier. This is not favorable.

THE SUNNY SIDE:

This is a slightly warm sounding amplifier. Female vocals and male vocals if well recorded for instance Speak softly by Yao Si Ting and Passione album by Andrea Bocelli sound clear, dynamic and well projected into the room. The vocals are somewhat airy however not quite airy. This is not a delicate sounding amplifier like Accuphase.

How much bass one gets to listen to depends on the recording. Bass can be plentiful and on less dynamic recordings less audible. You Tube music mostly sounds dynamic or very good. I mostly listen to You Tube music.

High frequency’s sound natural, slightly understated keeping in line with the overall slightly warm sound. Detail is there and sonics have average transparency.

How Martin Logan sounds with Anthem integrated also depends upon the cables employed. I use, better than average, Nordost speaker cable and interconnect. The sound improved became warmer more dynamic when I replaced the stock digital cable that came with the integrated with Shunyata Research Venom digital cable. My system appreciated this change of digital cable.

OVERALL SUNSHINE:

Amplifier is overpriced at USD 4500. I paid USD 3000. And this is a fair price if not slightly on the high side for this integrated amplifier. Anthem should have kept things simple like in their second last integrated amplifier and not have made a digital ,transistor hybrid amplifier. To sum up having 8 bipolar transistors per channel and large transformer this amp has very good sonics.

NAME OF LOUDSPEAKER DRIVEN WITH THIS AMPLIFIER:

Martin Logan Classic ESL 9.

IMAGE OF AMPLIFIER:

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.30.54 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
couldn't find your image ?

anyways , thanks for the report. I do have a question, how does an amplifier sound 'digital' (whatever that is)and at the same time sound 'warm' ?

couldn't find your image ?

anyways , thanks for the report. I do have a question, how does an amplifier sound 'digital' (whatever that is)and at the same time sound 'warm' ?

First time I heard a digital amplifier was way back in 1995. Made by Technics. This amp did not sound good. One could listen and see amp painted own picture by shading or adjusting the level of sound. Some sounds were very much subdued. Some part of the sound spectrum seemed missing.

To my ears, this quality of omitting or subduing certain areas of audible sound spectrum is a touch present in the Anthem STR.

Some CD players have a warm sound. Due to their analogue part. I have a business degree not electronics degree. This Anthem amp sounds to me ever so lightly on the warm side. This I know. Why I do not know. Since I do not have a electronics degree. I can only guess. Warmth may come from transistors.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
In a couple of months four years i have been using STR integrated and Classic 9.

Experienced ups and downs in sonic quality.

I was ignorant and made mistakes in set up.

I am now after correct set up delighted with sonics from both Anthem STR and ELS9.

In a couple of months four years i have been using STR integrated and Classic 9.

Experienced ups and downs in sonic quality.

I was ignorant and made mistakes in set up.

I am now after correct set up delighted with sonics from both Anthem STR and ELS9.
If I may ask, what was your mistake during your setup? Bought an AVM70 and setting it up this weekend

First, in my audio room, over past 4 years, placement of ELS 9 not allow delivery of best possible sonics from system. With less optimal placement bass was boomy, transparency to source material was average and amp sonics sound less than stated power specifications. Using trial and error my best placement had ELS9 approx. 3.5 feet from side wall and half-way namely 10 feet out from front wall.

To cut a long story short. I not read ESL9 manual carefully. Still have not. In the manual is a formula that when applied gives precise optimal placement advice. In my case, in my 21 length, 14 width and approx. 13 feet height room formula helped to improve sonics.

I practically applied the formula by taking measurements and doing the simple math. I was surprised pleasantly by the sonic result. Difference not day and night. Rather difference afternoon and evening.

Previously I used to set the volume on average between minus 29db and minus 26 db. Now I set at minus 35db. Imaging distance outside surface area of panel improved. Bass zero percent boomy. Bass is understated compared to electrostatic panel sonics. I do not like in your face bass. No point acquiring a hybrid electrostatic speaker if not allow panel to play the leading role and excel at sonics compared to low frequencies.

I not add or subtract from signal using tone trim controls. And not increase or decrease source signal strength. Everything is flat. Not employ ARC either. ARC not help with sonics using my previous desktop. With my new HP desktop and helpful advice from MLO member regarding untried by me mic positioning may try ARC. Though not likely since I am very satisfied with sonics from my STR-ELS9 system.

Conclusion:

ESL 9 very finicky regarding placement in room. STR integrated matches with ESL 9. I tried anthem STR with motion 15. Result terrible no synergy.

Do not know if this is case with AVM70. If speaker does not match and not optimally placed Anthem integrated seems to lack dynamics and sound slightly better than average.

Finally get everything sonically adjusted at its best then experiment with ARC.

Last edited:
First, in my audio room, over past 4 years, placement of ELS 9 not allow delivery of best possible sonics from system. With less optimal placement bass was boomy, transparency to source material was average and amp sonics sound less than stated power specifications. Using trial and error my best placement had ELS9 approx. 3.5 feet from side wall and half-way namely 10 feet out from front wall.

To cut a long story short. I not read ESL9 manual carefully. Still have not. In the manual is a formula that when applied gives precise optimal placement advice. In my case, in my 21 length, 14 width and approx. 13 feet height room formula helped to improve sonics.

I practically applied the formula by taking measurements and doing the simple math. I was surprised pleasantly by the sonic result. Difference not day and night. Rather difference afternoon and evening.

Previously I used to set the volume on average between minus 29db and minus 26 db. Now I set at minus 35db. Imaging distance outside surface area of panel improved. Bass zero percent boomy. Bass is understated compared to electrostatic panel sonics. I do not like in your face bass. No point acquiring a hybrid electrostatic speaker if not allow panel to play the leading role and excel at sonics compared to low frequencies.

I not add or subtract from signal using tone trim controls. And not increase or decrease source signal strength. Everything is flat. Not employ ARC either. ARC not help with sonics using my previous desktop. With my new HP desktop and helpful advice from MLO member regarding untried by me mic positioning may try ARC. Though not likely since I am very satisfied with sonics from my STR-ELS9 system.

Conclusion:

ESL 9 very finicky regarding placement in room. STR integrated matches with ESL 9. I tried anthem STR with motion 15. Result terrible no synergy.

Do not know if this is case with AVM70. If speaker does not match and not optimally placed Anthem integrated seems to lack dynamics and sound slightly better than average.

Finally get everything sonically adjusted at its best then experiment with ARC.
Thank you for the reply. I will take placement under consideration with ARC.

Back